LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Transmisson Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-10, 11:32 AM
LexGX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmisson Question

My transmission in my ls400 just recently gave up. I'm planning to buy a used transmission and put it in. I searched for one on car-parts.com and it asked me if it was either A.T. calif or A.T. fed? Which one do i need and does it matter? I found a used transmission on ebay for cheap and its a A.T. calif, will it fit in my ls400? Thanks
Old 04-14-10, 02:23 PM
LexGX
Pole Position

My bad. My car is a 94, the transmission that i want to buy is from either a 93 or a 94
Old 04-15-10, 11:12 AM
deanbrown
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

In what way did the transmission give up?
Old 04-16-10, 09:46 PM
LexGX
Pole Position

Originally Posted by deanbrown3
In what way did the transmission give up?
I'm not quite sure how it happened but i was on interstate 85, going about 80 mph. I notice that my rpm jumped like i had put it in neutral. I put it in park, back to D, and the car will barely move while the rpm climbed to about 4-5k. I shut off the engine, checked my fluids and everything seems fine. I let it cool down for about 10 mins and i proceeded to drive again. Everything worked fine until about 10 miles later and it happened again.

I slowly drove to my uncle's shop doing about 30-35 mph. He checked it the other day and told me the transmission is toasted.
Old 04-16-10, 09:47 PM
LexGX
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Thermactor
Then it should work
CA/Fed doesn't make a difference in transmissions.
Thank you but can you explain to me why they would have two sets of them? I tried to google the difference between the two and didn't get an answer.

Calvin
Old 04-17-10, 11:19 AM
SRV1
Driver

Originally Posted by LexGX
I'm not quite sure how it happened but i was on interstate 85, going about 80 mph. I notice that my rpm jumped like i had put it in neutral. I put it in park, back to D, and the car will barely move while the rpm climbed to about 4-5k. I shut off the engine, checked my fluids and everything seems fine. I let it cool down for about 10 mins and i proceeded to drive again. Everything worked fine until about 10 miles later and it happened again.

I slowly drove to my uncle's shop doing about 30-35 mph. He checked it the other day and told me the transmission is toasted.
Sounds like a transmission cooler line and/or transmission cooler is plugged. I would try looking into that before you start plunking money on a trans.

James
Old 04-20-10, 01:05 PM
deanbrown
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you get anywhere with this problem?

I would look at the crankshaft position sensor - if that fails then the engine does not know how to control the tranny. Usually the car won't start after a handful of such bad moments - it will just crank forever. Any engine codes?
Old 06-16-10, 01:01 PM
93LEXLS400
Driver School Candidate

I'm having this same problem....This happened to me last week....what was the turn out?
Old 06-16-10, 01:07 PM
LexGX
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 93LEXLS400
I'm having this same problem....This happened to me last week....what was the turn out?
It would have been a costly repair but my uncle has an auto shop so it was done for cheap. what i did was bought a used transmission online for $350 shipped. The warranty on it is 60 days. If the shop installs the transmission and its defective then they will either ship you a different transmission or they will come get the transmission and refund you the money plus shipping.

Then you can have a shop install the transmission according to their labor fee. I hope this helps. You def. need a new transmission if you had the same symptoms that i did.
Old 06-16-10, 01:20 PM
93LEXLS400
Driver School Candidate

It would have been a costly repair but my uncle has an auto shop so it was done for cheap. what i did was bought a used transmission online for $350 shipped. The warranty on it is 60 days. If the shop installs the transmission and its defective then they will either ship you a different transmission or they will come get the transmission and refund you the money plus shipping.

Then you can have a shop install the transmission according to their labor fee. I hope this helps. You def. need a new transmission if you had the same symptoms that i did.
Damn!! Well i bought the Lex back in December. It never gave me a problem until this happened. I start it up and it makes a loud air sound and grabs gears for about a min or up until the loud air sound goes away and NO GEARS what so ever. Had a mechanic check it out and said that the Trans fluid was topped off too high....it was to the "HOT" on the dip stick and we had just turned on the car, he told me this could be the reason why your tranny is acting like that. That when it warms up the tranny fluid thins out and has even more fluid. So i need some tips on what should i do...i definitely don't want to purchase a whole used tranny and pay for the labor of installation. Help me out peeps!