LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Transmission? Mounts? I'm lost...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-10, 11:50 PM
PearlLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission? Mounts? I'm lost...

I have a '93 that I purchased for $3,500 last year. Though it didn't "need" it, I was proud of owning my first Lexus and it quickly became my "baby", so I had it tuned up(plugs, wires, caps & rotors, all fluids drained and retopped), new tires, radiator flush, new timing belt, new water pump, new front and rear rotors, and new brakes. All total, I dropped $7,000 in about a week for this baby. After the tune up, things took a major turn for the worst. My tilt down on the steering wheel went, my alternator started acting up(which I found out was due to a power steering pump leak), front passenger window motor went out, the moonroof has a massive leak when it rains(of course when driving in the rain I get drinched), and my dashlights started flickering, to the point the needles flash only now, they never come on completely. I got everything fixed except the dash and moonroof.

Well, last month(a year later), the alternator again acted up(had to replace it again+fix the power steering pump), but before fixing it, I got a jump from a buddy, and on the way home I went to turn a corner and the transmission acted as if it were in neutral. I got it pushed into a parking lot, left it for several hours, went back and started it up, drove about 2 minutes and same thing, acted like it was in neutral but I never felt it "jump out of gear". I changed the fluid and filter in the transmission, but due to bad weather, I had left the transmission pan off for roughly a week. I put in 7 quarts of T-IV and a bottle of Lucas Transmission Fix. The car ran GREAT(Just like new!) for about 2 days, but then seemed to be shifting slow(like almost redlining for 20 seconds at one point on the interstate before it shifted out). It now "jumps" into gear when I shift in drive, and it shifts out slow if I drive it soft. If I give it hell, it shifts through all the gears really smooth(I can't even feel it shifting). Today, it really started acting weird. I was about to take a 30 minute ride, but the transmission was slipping(so it seemed), downshifting, upshifting, and even jumping around in first gear without pressing the accelerator. I was at a stop sign going back home of course, waiting for traffic to clear, the car lunged forward and I felt a hard jerk as if the transmission was maybe out of gear, and then jumped back in? It was strange, and still, if I really get on the gas, like romp it, it goes great, but if I slowly accelerate it acts like it's having a hard time shifting etc.

I was going to park it until next week and do a transmission flush(which I'm doing anyway), but a mechanic friend said keep driving it, because I may have dried the seals and valves out, and they might be breaking loose. I absolutely LOVE this car. I don't have a lot of cash, but even if I did, I would continue repairs on this rather than get something else.

My question is, what could be going on with this transmission? Is it maybe a mount? Or does it sound more like the transmission? I'm lost, and though I love this thing, I'm starting to fear it's time to sell and look for another.

Additionally, the upper ball joint on the drivers side needs replaced, as well as both rear hub assemblies because the bushing on the the rear controlling arms are shot and have to be bought as the whole assembly(or so I was told).

What would you do? I already have a lot into it, but no sense throwing good money after bad they say.
Old 04-10-10, 12:39 PM
ck90211
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the transmission might not be a bad idea just to find an used tranny on car-parts.com and see what's available. I just got a engine off it for LS and it runs great.

On the rear bushing, I recently replaced the rear carrier bushings (it's the one in the rear wheel spindle, attached to the strut rod). Not sure if this is the one you are looking for, but do google for ADUS and you will find different bushings for LS400. Mine is $35 each and you need 1/side.

Kind of shocked by how much you have spent. I think you need to find a cheaper (but qualified) mechanic and shop for discounted parts on line.
Old 04-10-10, 06:14 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Before doing anything else, disconnect the battery for 10 minutes then reconnect it and go for a ride to see if there's an improvement. Let us know if this changes / improves the shifting.
Old 04-11-10, 06:36 PM
PearlLexus
Driver School Candidate

I have disconnected the battery, will be taking it for a drive in a couple of hours(I'll reconnect the battery then). I disconnected both posts not just the negative. I'm wondering though, I found a webpage saying something about driving it for so long at different speeds to "retrain the brain". Should I be concerned about driving speed to the point I only do certain speeds for a while and up it 10 MPH every 10 minutes, or should I just take it on the interstate after a few minutes of town driving? What I don't get is, when I mash the gas, it shifts perfectly, but if I slowly accelerate(like drive normal) it hesitates to shift to third gear, jumps a bit between shifting, and runs roughly in general. Any thoughts on that?

I'll post the outcome in a couple of hours after a good drive. I'm sure at some point someone else will come into this issue or has it already.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 04-11-10, 09:31 PM
PearlLexus
Driver School Candidate

Well, it does seem to shift easier now driving at normal speeds. However, it still jumps into drive hard(after hesitating a few seconds) which causes the car to lunge forward a little no matter how hard I hold down the brake pedal. It even done that after the car was warmed up. I drove about 10 miles, put it in park, shut it off, started it up, put it in drive, had to wait a few seconds, then it jumped into gear. I want to believe the other post about maybe replacing the filter again. Think that could be the problem? Thanks again for replies.