LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Should I rescue an 1991 LS from being scrap

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-10, 08:00 PM
chilejeep
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I rescue an 1991 LS from being scrap

Several issues has caused a local family to consider just scrapping the car. I hate to see that happen and I'm considering buying it for $300-400.

Needs front rotors
drivers door handle
power steering pump
speedo and tach do not work but gas and temp do?
ran and drove ok for about 5 miles on my way out of town got up to about 60 then the vibs started and continued for the rest of the drive. Pretty severe cant understand what could cause vibrations after warm up. Along with the vibration came an odd smell. Don't know if it's worth saving or even parting out and advice would be great.

Nathan
Old 04-06-10, 08:17 PM
ck90211
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently rescued a 96 from the junkyard (bought it for parts for my 95 daily runner, ended up fixing because father-in-law wants it). Ended up putting $4000 in it, for a salvaged engine (snapped timing belt), new timing belt and tensioner, fluids, new air struts (all 4 corners), new brakes and rotors, new fan clutch, freon refill, etc..... Everything is seriously discounted because my friend (whose mechanic did the work for the cheap) got me dealer discount on all parts we purchased. And we have gone the route of Rockauto, Autozone and some Toyota OEM parts.

Would I do it again? Nope. Would rather put all that into a 98-00. But is the 96 running good? You bet, the salvaged engine is only 46K miles and with new air struts the car runs like a $60K car again. Definitely better than any $30K new car one can buy today.
Old 04-06-10, 08:31 PM
chilejeep
7th Gear

Defiantly the junkyard DIY route, I guess my real concern in the vibration. Defiantly don't intend on restoring to like new condition just get it safely drivable. More of give me something to do type project.
Old 04-06-10, 08:36 PM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

Are you doing this for the sake of the car, or for your own sake? If you are doing it for the sake of the car, I would say don't do it. But if you are doing it because you think you would enjoy the car, why not?

As for the vibrations, I would check the transmission/engine mounts, and front suspension bushings, especially the front strut rods.
Old 04-06-10, 08:45 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i got some front and rear rotors for your car, cross drilled and slotted. $160 shipped.

i also have a driver side handle but that one is out of whack also. also have a power steering bump but im sure the high pressure line is fubar'd. the cluster is an easy $5 fix with some soldering, and your vibration is probably due to unbalanced wheels.
Old 04-06-10, 10:50 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chilejeep
Several issues has caused a local family to consider just scrapping the car. I hate to see that happen and I'm considering buying it for $300-400.

Needs front rotors
drivers door handle
power steering pump
speedo and tach do not work but gas and temp do?
ran and drove ok for about 5 miles on my way out of town got up to about 60 then the vibs started and continued for the rest of the drive. Pretty severe cant understand what could cause vibrations after warm up. Along with the vibration came an odd smell. Don't know if it's worth saving or even parting out and advice would be great.

Nathan
Like rotten eggs? Or burning oil? Describe the smell.
Old 04-07-10, 03:21 AM
Acidic
Driver

Yah that vibration could be anything. I had a frozen caliper and bad ball joints but there are many possible problems... Since you have to warm it up and it's severe it'd get it on a lift and check for sticking calipers...

Also before you make the decision GET IT ON A LIFT and thoroughly check it out. I bought a 1991 for $1900 on a test drive and alot of the problems didn't crop up for several days...
Old 04-07-10, 08:55 AM
chilejeep
7th Gear

The smell I suppose best described as hot metal. I was trying to pinpoint it but to no avail. I would love to get it on a lift but I'm sure this small town doesn't have one. Up on jack stands in my garage will have to do if I buy it.
Old 04-07-10, 06:35 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mite be worth it alone just for parting it out
Old 04-07-10, 07:48 PM
chilejeep
7th Gear

Originally Posted by j stuff
Mite be worth it alone just for parting it out
Kind of what I was thinking any thoughts on particular pieces that sell well.
Old 04-07-10, 09:07 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chilejeep
Kind of what I was thinking any thoughts on particular pieces that sell well.
Headlights, tail lights and the wheels/tires alone will break u even. Checkout the ls400 for sale section for part out cars. All of us need something
Old 04-08-10, 07:56 PM
chilejeep
7th Gear

Well look like it will take $375 to bring it home. It didn't seem to pull like a stuck caliper. Is it ok to dolly these don't really want to drive it 30 miles to my warehouse.
Old 04-09-10, 01:02 AM
luvlexls
Driver School Candidate

where r u located? I cd use a power steering pump, all lights across front of car, airbags and a few other items...let me know if you can/want to part it...

chris
Old 04-09-10, 09:21 PM
chilejeep
7th Gear

Sorry I'm never towed with a dolly before can I just lock the steering and tow it backwards?

Last edited by chilejeep; 04-10-10 at 06:51 AM.
Old 04-09-10, 09:23 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

why not just tow it from the rear?

Quick Reply: Should I rescue an 1991 LS from being scrap