LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Is this air filter worth the money

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-10, 12:06 PM
LexChamp
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this air filter worth the money

I came across this air filter in EBAY and I was like WOW, thats a little pricey; especially when I used to buying air filter for alot less. However, if I can buy a filter that will last me for a MILLION MILES as they claim, I'm all for it. Has anyone has any experience with this filter.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-...Q5fAccessories
Old 04-04-10, 02:42 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

you've never heard of K&N ??
http://www.knfilters.com/

they are a well known and trusted brand in the aftermarket world, been around a LONG time.

the filters themselves are of a cotton gauze construction, and are an oiled type filter. they are a decent replacement provided you take them out once ever 8-10k miles and clean them and oil them PROPERLY (many people make the mistake of over-oiling them and blame K&N)

there is an argument to be made that the filter doesnt filter quite as good as the stock paper filter, because of its construction. but again, it will last you nearly forever if you take care of it.
Old 04-04-10, 02:54 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Thermactor
yeah, don't get it, it's a ripoff and
1) won't increase your power one bit
2) won't ever pay for itself
3) runs you the risk of ruining your MAF/AFM with the oil flowing through

If you want more power, there are other places to look
1-true, the stock paper filters actually flow rather well.
2-mathematically, yes it will.
filter: ~$55
recharge kit: $10 (good for between 7-10 cleanings when used properly)
total: $65 for ~7 filter cleanings, ~$9.26/filter, price per filter goes down with each cleaning.
1 LEXUS OEM Air Filter: $25/each (discount)
savings w/k&N over 7 changes: $175-$65=$110 SAVED over 7 changes.

3- not true, many many people run K&N filters without any issues. honestly, the bulk of people i've encountered that had the aforementioned problem either had underlying maf issues or over-oiled the filter during cleaning...
Old 04-04-10, 03:00 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

...i've done 3 on mine....

i've actually come to love the current Napa Gold series, which normally is ~oem price, but can be found 50% off occasionally
Old 04-04-10, 03:03 PM
Acidic
Driver

The OEM filter is a ripoff too You could get aftermarket filters for as little as $6.00/ea, and trust me - the difference between the two is not noticeable.
Besides, let's be frank here. Most of us here won't own our LS400s long enough to need to change the air filter even three more times.
I agree with all of this...

I think the REAL story here is that someone HASN'T heard of K&N
Old 04-04-10, 05:30 PM
LexChamp
Driver

LOL. First of all fellows, thanks for the comments. If you see my original post I never said I never heard of K&N. I was blown away by the price. I had no idea the filter had to be oiled, never heard of that. I know the basics, put the filter in and take it out. The question was; if it was worth it buying this pricey filter BC apparently it can be used for a long time without having to buy a filter every so often. PureDrifter hit it in the head as he illustrated how one is able to save with this filter over the years. I also agree with Thermactor as far as buying an aftermarket filter vs OEM if is not that much of a difference in performance but definitely in $$$$. I guess I would have to go with buying an aftermarket for the fact that I don’t put that much mileage on my LEX so K&N would not be for me.
Old 04-04-10, 06:07 PM
AzHotLS
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Current prices for a 95:

parts.com = $20.37 (shipping unknown - I don't have an account)
autohausAZ = $24.65 with shipping (standard filter)
autohausAZ = $31.48 with shipping (Denso OEM filter)
Autozone = $20.99 (plus tax - standard filter)
NAPA = $12.99 (plus tax - looks like special order)
NAPA = $23.99 (plus tax - Gold)
CSK/O'Reilly (Checker) = $19.99 (plus tax - standard)
CSK/O'Reilly (Checker) = $22.99 (plus tax - Fram extra life)

Take your pick.

Last edited by AzHotLS; 04-04-10 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-04-10, 06:20 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Good man. I bought my car in 2006 and have put on about 20,000 miles since then. I bought an air filter for my car right after I bought it, and...
the air filter is STILL in great shape. The same one. Absolutely no need to replace it.
If I were to keep the stock airbox, you can mark my words that I would only need one more filter to last me the rest of the time I own the car, which is several more years.
air filter life is heavily dictated by location. i live in the IE and spend a lot of time in the desert so mine is full after 6-9 months, and gets actually clogged in the 10-12month range.
Old 04-04-10, 09:16 PM
AzHotLS
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PRONTO Part # PA4646 $6.30
Don't forget the shipping. To my zip the total is $13.91 with shipping. That makes it comparable with the NAPA special order.
Old 04-04-10, 10:49 PM
Legionofon
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make/buy a short ram/CAI kit... (with a air box), buy a AEM dry flow air filter... never have another issue with the filter... ever, when it gets dirty take it out, wash it, let it dry over night, put it back in... NO PROBLEM MAAN
Old 04-05-10, 12:25 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

exceptL
A)nobody makes proper CAI kits, so it would be a custom job. not something for the average joe.
B)AEM Dry Flow filters ALSO dont filter or flow as well as the stock paper filters. google the filter comparisons
C) the short ram kits have shown decreased power and torque on stock motors because they suck in hot air.
Old 04-05-10, 12:50 AM
Legionofon
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats why i said with a air box... CAI's aren't hard to make, charge piping and fittings are available, AEMs will flow plenty for stock engines and filter just as well as anything... I ran one on my accord for years with no problem at all just wash and throw back on...
Old 04-05-10, 06:56 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

we have a K&N display at work which demonstrates how the filters work. u first put a normal filter in and watch the ping pong ball go up this tube, then u install this K&N filter and the ball goes to the top because it has less restrictions. these filters will increase horse power or they couldnt say they do, in fact if u go to their website and look up a filter for ur car it gives the amount of horsepower increase it will give. also if a person doesnt clean and oil it correctly it will have an adverse effect on ur maf sensor (over oiling).
Old 04-06-10, 07:58 AM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I ahve been using K&n filters for 238,000 and no problems just don't over oil it when you clean it I also dawn dishwashing soap to really get it clean then I let dry for 2 days and then I reoil it carefully I have 2 k&n filters so I can rotate them for my lexus and camary and I have had no problems with the MAF sensor. AND CHEAP AIR FILTERS ARE JUST THAT YOU WANT TO BUY A DECENT ONE FOR GOOD FILTERING. YOU ARE DRIVING THE WORLDS BEST CAR TREAT IT THAT WAY
Old 04-06-10, 08:37 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Theoretically the K&N will give you more power but in reality it does not with the stock set up just more noise. I live in the dessert and I had a K&N in my 4runner. It came already oiled so no one can accuse me of not oiling it correctly. When I took the filter off after a couple of months the intake on the filtered side was full of dust. Needless to say no more K&N for me.

Quick Reply: Is this air filter worth the money