LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

95-97: crank pulley removal question

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-10, 03:27 PM
TRULUX
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 95-97: crank pulley removal question

What is the trick to bust this 22mm nut that holds the pulley on? The car is at top dead center but the pulley will turn with the breaker bar. I would have thought with the car being in gear the motor would not be able to crank or turn. What am I missing? FYI I am changing my crank seal and timing belt...
Old 03-27-10, 05:59 PM
TRULUX
Lead Lap

Nm got that damn bolt!! I must have had 300 ft lbs on that thing and still would not bust. Had my compressor at 180psi and still would not budge. Finally braced the breaker bar and cranked the motor. Worked like a charm, well the 2nd try did! First try it just ripped one of my extensions to hell... Talk about some torque.... Check it out......

Old 03-27-10, 06:10 PM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To answer your question as to why the engine turns: The engine is coupled to an automatic transmission which has a torque convertor. The convertor "slips" at low engine RPMs and thus provides no direct connection to the rear wheels. Now, you would be correct IF the Lexus had a manual transmission. Then the wheels would be directly connected to the engine even at low speeds and you could "lock" the engine that way.

So, on to your original question. Some have used a very powerful impact wrench...somewhere in the 500-700 lb-ft range. The impact wrench uses a very quick torque and will break the bolt free. Not everyone has such an impact wrench. I do not.

Then there is the Lexus method. It requires an SST (Special Service Tool) which locks the pulley via 2 holes in the pulley. Would imagine the SST is rather pricey. This would be the preferred route but again, $$$.

There is also the "crank the starter" method where you wedge the breaker bar on the floor and give the starter a quick jolt. Not my recommended route although many swear by it. Or do they swear at it? Scares the heck out of me.

Finally, you can lock the flexplate which the torque convertor is bolted to by removing the rear under-engine protecting cover then the flexplate access plate. From there, you wedge a large allen key into one of the flexplates holes. Then slowly rotate the 22 mm bolt CCW until you feel resistance. You can then give the breaker bar several good tugs and the bolt will come loose. Takes a considerable amount of torque so eat your Wheaties. This is the method I used.
Attached Thumbnails 95-97: crank pulley removal question-100_1383.jpg  

Last edited by randal; 03-27-10 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-27-10, 07:46 PM
TRULUX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by randal
To answer your question as to why the engine turns: The engine is coupled to an automatic transmission which has a torque convertor. The convertor "slips" at low engine RPMs and thus provides no direct connection to the rear wheels. Now, you would be correct IF the Lexus had a manual transmission. Then the wheels would be directly connected to the engine even at low speeds and you could "lock" the engine that way.

So, on to your original question. Some have used a very powerful impact wrench...somewhere in the 500-700 lb-ft range. The impact wrench uses a very quick torque and will break the bolt free. Not everyone has such an impact wrench. I do not.

Then there is the Lexus method. It requires an SST (Special Service Tool) which locks the pulley via 2 holes in the pulley. Would imagine the SST is rather pricey. This would be the preferred route but again, $$$.

There is also the "crank the starter" method where you wedge the breaker bar on the floor and give the starter a quick jolt. Not my recommended route although many swear by it. Or do they swear at it? Scares the heck out of me.

Finally, you can lock the flexplate which the torque convertor is bolted to by removing the rear under-engine protecting cover then the flexplate access plate. From there, you wedge a large allen key into one of the flexplates holes. Then slowly rotate the 22 mm bolt CCW until you feel resistance. You can then give the breaker bar several good tugs and the bolt will come loose. Takes a considerable amount of torque so eat your Wheaties. This is the method I used.
Great info about the Automatic tranny! Thank you for taking the the time to inform me. I did get the bolt out iseing the 4th method I guess. I found the way I did it over on LOC.... Thanks again!!!! I will be using the wY you did it to tighten it as there would be no way to judge 181ft lbs using the starter method....

Last edited by TRULUX; 03-27-10 at 08:24 PM.
Old 03-28-10, 05:35 AM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TRULUX, if you would like to look at a tutorial for the TB/WP on a '98, see this thread on LOC -> http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=61372
Old 03-29-10, 10:36 PM
rob22
Rookie

Thanks for the picture showing where to jam the flywheel, I had read about it several times but never understood where to access it.

This is the specialized tool: http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/sch64300.html

My timing belt will need changing soon and I bought a chain wrench, planning to try to cinch around the crankshaft pulley as counter torque. I'm not sure if it will work though and am considering either the starter or jammed flywheel approach.