LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Ls400 Forum Rant and Suggestion......

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-10, 07:52 PM
TRULUX
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ls400 Forum Rant and Suggestion......

Why in the world is this forum not seperated in to Models, 1st Gen, 2nd Gen and so on????? The search feature sucks in the LS forum as more then half the threads I have to weed through are for the first gen. Its much much easier to search in other parts of CL. The LS400 forum needs to be split up if people really expect us to use the search feature or we should atleast start putting our Gen in the title. Maybe...... UCF20: Title Goes Here.... Thoughts?
Old 03-24-10, 08:40 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

this is why we tell everyone to put the year of their car in the thread title....
Old 03-24-10, 09:11 PM
TRULUX
Lead Lap

Yes I understand that but even the year thing makes it hard. You have to search every year model and you still might not find what you are looking for. Since there are only 2.5 Gens of the Ls400 and 10 years of the LS400. Take a look at the GS forum. It is set up by Gens and search feature is much easier. Plus having more people use the search feature in here will help clean up the forum and keep constant repost help threads to a minimum.
Old 03-24-10, 09:41 PM
Legionofon
Rookie

I like this idea! I do end up searching through numerous posts just to find something then it be for the wrong generation...
Old 03-24-10, 09:56 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yea this is true i always end up searching and finding wayyyyy more than i need. hard to narrow. End up reading for a long long time
Old 03-24-10, 10:16 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

The unfortunate fact is that those other forums were created new when the new model versions came out. Separating the old LS400 posts into the right (new) sub-forum would be an extremely manual and massive effort and for many posts, impossible to guess.

Using the title is a great idea - if someone will do a brief writeup on how you think they should be labeled (and other folks agree) we can make that a sticky at top of this forum.
Old 03-24-10, 10:20 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

even if that policy was enforced Dave, we would still have the noobs that would post "Ls400 manual?" or "what bulb in my headlight"
Old 03-24-10, 10:22 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by Thermactor
I find it distressing that the LS forums are way below the other sections. Last time I checked, the LS series is the line that defines Lexus as a brand. The other models follow.
Sorry you are distressed, but our forum order is always very well discussed and reasond by the moderator team.

The current lineup is generally defined as 1) cars 2) LUVs

and by vehicle size/target
1) sport-oriented
2) luxury-oriented
3) LUV size

The sport oriented cars (IS, GS and SC) also have a much larger and more active membership group and listing them at the top of the forum takes that into account. Sorry it's not your model at the top, but it makes the most sense for CL overall.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-24-10 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-24-10, 10:23 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
even if that policy was enforced Dave, we would still have the noobs that would post "Ls400 manual?" or "what bulb in my headlight"
No doubt - and there is no way to enforce it (nor do I ever want to get into that business). Just need you guys to set an example.

I may look into adding a 'prefix' kinda like we do in the classifieds for the state location though... hmmm. It wouldn't be there for the old posts but could for the new ones. Will think on that.
Old 03-24-10, 11:43 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
QFT, 2/3rds of the new posts we get would be by people unsure of what generation they have anyways

the GS was separated when it came out, so that's out
Old 03-25-10, 04:43 AM
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is it not possible to leave the forum as is and add the sub-forums from here on out?
I agree weeding through all previous posts would be insane so why not move forward with a new & improved section?
Old 03-25-10, 05:04 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by Schnitz
Is it not possible to leave the forum as is and add the sub-forums from here on out?
I agree weeding through all previous posts would be insane so why not move forward with a new & improved section?
Sorry, no. That would be even more confusing for new members.
Old 03-25-10, 07:03 AM
TRULUX
Lead Lap

Thank for taking this into consideration Dave, If there is anything I can do to assist you I am more then happy to help. I understand that task at hand to split this section up but really like the idea of adding our Gen to title like the classifieds. Yes we will still have the newbies that dont read the stickys and still get the reposts but it will make search feature from here on out so much easier and help clean up this forum in due time. Thanks for Listening!
Old 03-25-10, 11:25 AM
Legionofon
Rookie

Why not make the subforums keep the old forums like Schnitz said then take the important posts that mean something and transfer them over (most posts that are important are linked in stickied threads) then once everyone has moved over to the subforums we just archive the old ones... It would look sorta like the SC300/400 forum at first with the 2 sub forums at the top and then the combined posts down below...

also damn the new members if they aren't smart enough to understand don't make us all suffer, dumbing down to the lowest common denominator is why our schools and government are so screwed don't put that into our forums too!
Old 03-25-10, 01:59 PM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it the way it is. The 1990-2000 models are similar enough that I don't think they warrant different sections.

Quick Reply: Ls400 Forum Rant and Suggestion......