LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Power steering fluid in my PS pump! Oh No!

Old 03-17-10, 04:04 PM
rx3scrappy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Power steering fluid in my PS pump! Oh No!

I have a 1991 LS400 with just under 100K miles, this thing is clean. i have not had a brake job in 2 years, so I went to the mechanic for a brake job, he said that he noticed that my PS was a bit stiffer than it should be. So he called and asked about flushing the system and putting in fresh fluid. Now my power steering is hard as a rock!!! He used the power steering fluid from Valvoline made for American cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I am being told that he must replace the pump, line and rack to correct the problem, and that is my fault because the original cap for the power steering was lost and replaced with an aftermarket one! OHHHH!

Does anyone have any idea if the whole system would need to be replaced?
Hoping it can be flushed and replenished with the correct fluid, but not sure!
I will be taking the car in on Saturday to get done at a different shop. I called ahead and have an appointment, they estimate around $850 for everything, including labor. This is just a worst case scenario. This is all they do is steering parts and the price seems fair.

Please chime in, and don't just chime in to say that I got flushed, I know! I feel like an *** already and I don't think rubbing it in will help. But thanks anyway!

BTW - this web site has been very helpful, I have been able to find out alot about my car, thanks
Old 03-17-10, 04:10 PM
curepunx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, i'm sure there are more users on here that can share the same or similar problem. I'd get a second opinion from a trusted mechanic just to be sure.

From the get go, i'd start off with...
1. Replace existing "fluid" with Toyota T-IV Trans Fluid (buy at local toyota dealer)
2. Check (or have mechanic check) to see for any leaks in the PS system. (specifically High Pressure Hose/Reservoir)

I don't see how just by putting the fluid mistakenly would kill the rack or system right away unless you'd driven with it like that for quite some time.

Anyway, i'd jump on it and get another competent mechanic to look at it.

Goodluck!
Old 03-17-10, 04:29 PM
TRULUX
Lead Lap

You should be fine with a flush and fill of the right stuff...would not change any parts unless you start to see a problem. For 1 this is NOT your fault because of a aftermarket Cap. That's what the manual and his computer system is for, don't let him pawn off his mistake on you, I would bring it back to him and just have him put the correct fluid in. If he won't just pay another shop to do a flush and fill and you will be ok.
Old 03-17-10, 04:41 PM
2eXceL
Driver

Agreed..... regardless of aftermarket Cap the shop is responsible for confirming and checking proper fluids for your car, this is their fault. If they are part of ASE or any other association I would file a claim and threaten them on charges.
Also I thought you just need Dextron II/III not necessary Toyota Trans fluid?
Old 03-17-10, 04:44 PM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

That is my opinion. For the P/S system, there is no need for fancy fluids!
Old 03-17-10, 06:07 PM
rx3scrappy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys,

I will be in touch and let you know what the new mechanic says. They said there is probably no reason to change the parts, but to let them give it a once over. Also they said that they want me in the bay when they put the car on the lift, so that I can verify any leaks or problems with the system, right along with the mechanic. They said that if I want too, we will change over any bad parts. I am hopeful that these guys are good ones. I will let you all know after the appointment.

wish me luck!

Thanks again guys
I appreciate all the responses!
Old 03-17-10, 06:50 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know if Toyota T-IV is Dexron III compliant. I've been using Mobile 1 Synthetic ATF in mine with great results. PS system capacity is 2.5 quarts I believe.

Last edited by JimsGX; 03-17-10 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-17-10, 08:21 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

PS is spec'd for Dexron III (which toyota t-iv is NOT interchangeable with)

power steering: any dexron III spec. transmission fluid
transmission: ONLY toyota T-IV or LABELED COMPATIBLE fluid.
Old 03-17-10, 10:46 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

make sure you clean the resevoir filter and the solenoid filter. I think your problem is that the dirt in the resevoir got stirred and plugged up your resevoir filter. Here is what I would tell the mechanic to do. Remove the resevoir, and clean the resevoir filter. flush the system, add an inline filter, remove the solenoid fiter and clean or replace. I bet then the steering will feel like new. From then on periodically replace the inline filter and flush system (maybe every 30 to 40 k miles) Use the mobil 1 atf its good stuff.
Old 03-18-10, 12:54 AM
EUBT
Driver

Cool

How old was the fluid before the change? Did you have it power flushed?
Old 03-18-10, 02:15 PM
curepunx
Driver

lol oops, yes what PD said. I don't know why my mind was stuck on T-Type IV for the PS system. Musta been cuz i just did a drain/refill on my trans fluid.

But yes, let us all know how it went!
Old 03-19-10, 07:51 PM
rx3scrappy
Driver School Candidate

Well, my appointment is at 8 am tomorrow' I wll let you all know how it ent.

Thanks again
Old 03-19-10, 09:38 PM
AzHotLS
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sam12345
make sure you clean the resevoir filter and the solenoid filter. I think your problem is that the dirt in the resevoir got stirred and plugged up your resevoir filter. Here is what I would tell the mechanic to do. Remove the resevoir, and clean the resevoir filter. flush the system, add an inline filter, remove the solenoid fiter and clean or replace. I bet then the steering will feel like new.
I would lean more towards the solenoid filter rather than the reservoir filter being plugged.

Have the mechanic remove the solenoid (on the rack) and clean the filter, it can't be replaced. Removing the solenoid will cause most of the fluid on the high side to be drained. Reinstall the solenoid, remove the low side return hose at the reservoir and divert it to something to reclaim the fluid. Plug the return pipe. Fill the reservoir with ATF and commence flushing. After flushing reinstall low side hose to reservoir.
Old 03-19-10, 10:37 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

When I flushed my power steering the resevoir filter got plugged and this caused the problem. My bet is that its the resevoir filter and not the solenoid filter. Lets see who gets it right AZHotLS
Old 03-20-10, 12:12 PM
SRV1
Driver

From experience from being a mechanic for over 15 years is that if your power steering is working fine and it has never been serviced for the life of the car then I would leave it alone. Flushing it only causes more problems like leaks and sometimes steering assist issues. Now if someone regularly flushed the system then continue to do so. What I can tell you is flushing the system removes all the crap that has been sticking inside the system and loosens it. Regular power steering fluid does not have any cleaning detergents in it but all ATF do, actually have high concentrations of it. So if your fluid is light brown or black, leave it alone if the system is working find and not leaking but if your fluid still has some reddish tint to it and it needs to be changed then change it otherwise leave it alone!

James

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power steering fluid in my PS pump! Oh No!