LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1994 LS400 for $800 - Should I buy it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-10, 10:27 PM
edwinbong
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

older cars= many years of abuse if not treated well
Old 03-15-10, 10:48 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Buy it and enter a demolition derby. Perfect for this

Last edited by sam12345; 03-15-10 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-15-10, 10:52 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

I'd be worried too and agree with the others, don't walk, run away.

If you really are in love with it and have to have it, I am sure you can find one for 2X the price in a lot better shape but, if your going to do it anyway. Check all fluids to make sure they are the right color. I also would have it checked out by a 2nd place as well (not telling them that you already had it checked out), find out why it's pulling when you drive it. If it was in a big fender-bender in the past, $800-500, not worth it.

I'd spend some time looking for another one to see what you can get one for even completed auctions on ebay. As this car is going to cost some $$$ over time.

Do some homework, if your 100% sure that that is all it needs (TB, leaks, etc), you can afford to fix and you can live with the other stuff, then, maybe but, be warned in advance, that car might need work later and it might cost big $$$ to fix.

I still would run....but, that's me...
Old 03-16-10, 12:43 AM
SLORICK
Driver School Candidate

Something is not right. $800 is too cheap. Mine is worth $4000 now. RR pass door doesnt fit rear fender. look at match just in front of gas cap door. Each door, trunk, hood should have a sticker with the VIN. Check to see if they are all the same, or if door or trunk lid has been replaced. Do a CarFax. Pulls hard to right?
Who died in this car? Is it haunted? Something is wrong. What is that weird red wire running thru engine compartment? Other problems are typical 94 LS400 problems. Google "Lexus wiki"
Google "LS400 Problems"

Now that you are in love, wait for another in color you want. Estate Sale, watch classifieds for personal sale, not a dealer, or ask your buddy to get you a better LS400.
Old 03-16-10, 12:47 AM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

If you have been browsing the forums for a couple days, you would understand that the obvious choice is to RUN THE HELL AWAY NOW.

I will not even begin to explain why you shouldn't get it. My 93 is pretty beat up but this is a whole different level that I don't want to destroy my CAPS button on.
Old 03-16-10, 12:59 AM
SLORICK
Driver School Candidate

me again: I think this car has been in a wreck. Pulls hard to right when braking? Is the frame bent? Here is one way to tell:

Have your friend drive the car, and follow him in yours; watch and see if the four wheels seem to track straight ahead, or if the car goes down the road a little crooked, crabbing to one side or other, back wheels not following front wheels exactly straight.

If car drives crooked, frame is probably bent. That's why it is being sold through an auction lot, so some sucker will buy it. What do you think they do with all those cars involved in Hurricane Katrina, tornadoes, floods, etc.? Fix them up a little and resell them thru auction lots.

P.T.Barnum: "There's a sucker born every minute."
Caveat Emptor: "Let the Buyer Beware"
Old 03-16-10, 05:25 AM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

Is this car worth $800? Probably. Should you buy it? Probably not.
Old 03-16-10, 05:42 AM
5ofakind
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It would make a great parts car......the seller ought to think about parting it out.....would get alot more than $800.....

I have a 1992 White Pearl LS400 with 268k miles on it.....when it has seen its last legs.....it will be parted out....& whatever is left will be haul off to the scrap yard.....
Old 03-16-10, 02:04 PM
mylesmyles
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses everybody... even though I am a little bummed...
I have some answers to the questions/comments above. The red wire you can see in the picture is an aftermarket keyless locking system. The car is so cheap because it is from a repo auction; there was still children's toys and trash on the floor from the previous owner when I got it.

Because of everybody's comments, I don't think I will buy it. It was just so much more appealing then all of the Hyundais and Hondas on craigslist that I had been looking at. So I'm pretty bummed that the car probably isn't the right choice.

Do any of you on the forms have a recommendation for a good cheap car to buy instead? I'm looking for something in the $1000-$2500 range. Thanks!
Old 03-16-10, 03:09 PM
fastegg
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

you get what you pay for.... don't do it unless your prepared to spent a **** load on it to bring it up to spec....
Old 03-16-10, 03:43 PM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sam12345
Buy it and enter a demolition derby. Perfect for this
Only if you can haggle it down to $500!
Old 03-16-10, 06:22 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

myles you may be able to find a nicer (cosmetically and functionally) LS in the 1500 price range. But no matter how nice and maintained it is, you will need to do some maintenance.

Look more! Youll be SO GLAD you passed this deal over soon
Old 03-16-10, 07:32 PM
Kingsoup
Pole Position

Ls400's can be some of the most reliable cars ever, especially since you can buy them after they have been maintained and driven gingerly by old people who own them 98% of the time.

That being said replacement parts for the car are pretty pricey and the mileage isn't really that great at all. Hold out for a car with a service history and you meet the owners who are 70yrs old and live in a million dollar house, then you know its a good car.

I know its lame, but honestly EG civic hatchbacks, or EK are such good little cars, amazing on gas, fun to drive, lots of cargo room, well built, don't make the mistake many of us made when young and in school and buy a sports car that will break down and make you hate the world.

Subaru impreza maybe? I like those too!
Old 03-16-10, 08:04 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kingsoup, where I live its a nono to buy those because they are getting stolen left and right! ls400 = super low key
Old 03-16-10, 08:53 PM
mylesmyles
Driver School Candidate

Hey, what if I just bought the lexus, fixed it to the bare minimum (just the coolant valve), drove it till it dies, and sell it for parts? I couldn't loose that much money, could I?

Quick Reply: 1994 LS400 for $800 - Should I buy it?