LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

new member needs help.

Old 03-08-10, 04:06 PM
lexfrmtx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new member needs help.

Hello everyone, I purchased my Lexus LS400 about 6 months ago. The car was completly stock, and the Nachamichi stereo's crystals were toast. The stereo worked fine but I couldn't read the screen, so I decided to replace it with a aftermarket double din unit. I'm not new to installing my own stereos or having to by-pass the factory amp, but I had no idea I would be having this much trouble.
I guess let me explain the trouble I'm having. I purchased a Sony Explode double din stereo and the next following day begain removing the center console, factory stereo and a/c contol unit. After I had removed all those I noticed how dirty my center console was. I found all sorts of junk so I decided to clean abit. To get everything, I even removed the automatic shifter. I didn't use anything in particular to clean just a damp cloth and a vacume. I then begain to remove the factory amp from under the seat, made my own wire harness and begain putting the wires together (used the wiring diagram that I found on this site.) When everything was done I hooked up the new stereo to check to see if everything worked. Nope, the stereo didn't even turn on, nothing. I used the grey plug and the number one pin for constant power, the brown for ground, and the gray for acc power. I did notice that my meter was saying that i only showed 7v dc on the constant power, shouldn't it be 12v? I checked all the fuses and all were ok. Also I put back the clock, and a/c controls and they work fine.
But, unfortunatly thats the least of my problems. I reassembled the shifter and for some reason the car wont start. I made sure all the plugs were connected and everything looks good. Let me explain what the car does when I turn the key: first the starter clicks but the car won't turn, the instrument cluster goes crazy blinking like a Christmas tree, and the shifter makes a clicking sound. And when I remove the key from the ignition, I can hear a faint sound coming from the area were my stereo would be, but I can't hear it from under the hood. It also goes away when I step on the break peddle: all while the key is out. I didn't hear this noise before attempting to replace the stereo, but like i said its faint and sounds like its coming from where the stereo should be.
I'm not a newb to working on cars or stereo's but this is my first Lexus and I'm going crazy trying to trouble shoot. PLEASE HELP.
Old 03-08-10, 04:11 PM
Acidic
Driver

Originally Posted by lexfrmtx
Hello everyone, I purchased my Lexus LS400 about 6 months ago. The car was completly stock, and the Nachamichi stereo's crystals were toast. The stereo worked fine but I couldn't read the screen, so I decided to replace it with a aftermarket double din unit. I'm not new to installing my own stereos or having to by-pass the factory amp, but I had no idea I would be having this much trouble.
I guess let me explain the trouble I'm having. I purchased a Sony Explode double din stereo and the next following day begain removing the center console, factory stereo and a/c contol unit. After I had removed all those I noticed how dirty my center console was. I found all sorts of junk so I decided to clean abit. To get everything, I even removed the automatic shifter. I didn't use anything in particular to clean just a damp cloth and a vacume. I then begain to remove the factory amp from under the seat, made my own wire harness and begain putting the wires together (used the wiring diagram that I found on this site.) When everything was done I hooked up the new stereo to check to see if everything worked. Nope, the stereo didn't even turn on, nothing. I used the grey plug and the number one pin for constant power, the brown for ground, and the gray for acc power. I did notice that my meter was saying that i only showed 7v dc on the constant power, shouldn't it be 12v? I checked all the fuses and all were ok. Also I put back the clock, and a/c controls and they work fine.
But, unfortunatly thats the least of my problems. I reassembled the shifter and for some reason the car wont start. I made sure all the plugs were connected and everything looks good. Let me explain what the car does when I turn the key: first the starter clicks but the car won't turn, the instrument cluster goes crazy blinking like a Christmas tree, and the shifter makes a clicking sound. And when I remove the key from the ignition, I can hear a faint sound coming from the area were my stereo would be, but I can't hear it from under the hood. It also goes away when I step on the break peddle: all while the key is out. I didn't hear this noise before attempting to replace the stereo, but like i said its faint and sounds like its coming from where the stereo should be.
I'm not a newb to working on cars or stereo's but this is my first Lexus and I'm going crazy trying to trouble shoot. PLEASE HELP.

It needs a jump....
Old 03-08-10, 05:37 PM
lexfrmtx
Driver School Candidate

I was going to pull the battery and maybe the alternator tomorrow to make sure that wasn't the culprit. The car is not my daily and its hasn't been moved in two weeks. But before then it didn't give me any trouble. Man, I hope thats all it is.
Old 03-08-10, 05:55 PM
Acidic
Driver

Originally Posted by lexfrmtx
I was going to pull the battery and maybe the alternator tomorrow to make sure that wasn't the culprit. The car is not my daily and its hasn't been moved in two weeks. But before then it didn't give me any trouble. Man, I hope thats all it is.
why going pulling things... just jump the battery... if it doesn't charge after that then go replacing stuff but you prob just ran the batt down or something
Old 03-11-10, 11:54 AM
lexfrmtx
Driver School Candidate

Well it was not the battery, had it tested and it passed with flying colors. As for the car not starting, I went back and pulled all the connections off and put them together again and the car started up. So problem solved, could have just been something i didn't put in all the way.
Still having problems with the radio. I checked the fuse in the hood and it was fine, went to check the second fuse (under the steering wheel) but I no longer have the cover. Can anyone tell me which fuse is the radio? I did pull all of them out and all were ok, but I noticed that they were looking black so I just want to replace it with a new one to see if thats the problem.