LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

timing belt issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-10, 01:06 PM
Zoidberg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing belt issue

This is likely the dumbest question you guys have heard in a while.

I purchased my 93 LS in march of last year from a resaler, it had 109,000 miles then. I have Lexus dealership records that clearly indicate that the timing belt was not done when they performed the 90K service.

I stopped at the resalers' lot today (he finds GREAT cars)--he told me that he bought the car at auction in late 2008, and that the paperwork with it indicated that the p.o. had the timing belt done. I have looked under the hood for a sticker of some kind and come up short.

Can I inspect something under the hood (water pump, or maybe a gasket) to verify this? My mechanic could tell me, but I wanted to see if I could verify it myself.
Old 02-18-10, 02:14 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

A lot of things aren't logged in the lexus records. So it probably just wasn't logged. I also usually go by the receipts and services done, maybe, you can ask for a copy from resaler
Old 02-18-10, 02:39 PM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

How do you know it wasn't performed? When I looked up my car's records on Lexus's website, it said something like "90k service NON". A dealership I happened to be at (Pohanka Lexus of Chantilly) said it meant that the timing belt service was not performed. However, I called Lexus of Wilmington (who performed the service), and they confirmed that the timing belt service HAD been performed, and that the "NON" meant non-warranty repair (or something to that effect). In addition, there is a sticker on my radiator that clearly indicates that the timing belt had been replaced.

I hate the bastards at Pohanka Lexus of Chantilly. NEVER EVER go there.

Last edited by amcdonal86; 02-18-10 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-18-10, 02:43 PM
rob22
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Post a pic

Remove the left cam cover (V8 FOUR CAM 32 written on it) and take a shot of the back of the belt. Start a poll maybe some of the guys here can make the call. Maybe you can still make out the "L-CAM" "R-CAM" markings on the back of the belt? I assume you're at approx 120K so +30K from the replacement in question?

Look at the crankshaft pulley bolt, are there any witness marks on it, looks like someone's taken a wrench to it?

Look at the serpentine belt, I think these are usually replaced at the same time as the timing belt. Are there any cracks on the grooved side?

The gasket is a good idea...on my cars you can see the FIPG stuff on the top of the water pump. I just don't know the color of the FIPG that is used when the original water pump is installed at the factory.
Old 02-18-10, 02:51 PM
Zoidberg
Driver School Candidate

I suppose that's possible.

Original reciepts are unavailable.

I got someone at the dealership to take pity and give me screenprints from their system before I bought it. I saw 90K service on it and assumed (*** out of you and me) that meant the t.b. was done. Later Dealer service person told me they did everything for the 90k but the tb. Didn't know at the time to look for the sticker under the hood. Ignorance can be very expensive.

P.O. was never late with service, but I could see him skipping the tb if he knew he was going to unload it. I was truely enraged for about a month.

I still considered it a good deal because he spent very large on the p/s in 2007 and the leather is just about perfect.

I asked the resaler for his paperwork straight away, he didn't have it anymore.

seems like there would be telltale signs--scuffed bolts maybe?
Old 02-18-10, 03:00 PM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

Why don't you call the dealership that did the service (if you can find this out)? They should be able to tell you without a doubt what was done.

Don't expect a used car dealership to keep the records from the previous owner. Usually those just get thrown away, unless it's a collector car of some sort.
Old 02-18-10, 03:16 PM
rob22
Rookie

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Why don't you call the dealership that did the service (if you can find this out)?
Yes, do this. The Lexus dealer should be more than willing to do this for you. Sometimes the info is just very short summary but maybe you can look at the totals and make a pretty good guess.

Non-interference engine, you have that going for you. You could always monitor it from time to time, as well as the water pump for leaks.

Re: "scuffed bolts" - yes the crankshaft pulley bolt is removed for a TB change, and it's high-torque, you might see some marks on this depending on the cleanliness of the car. Those things that I mentioned are fast easy gut-check things that you can do.
Old 02-19-10, 09:37 AM
Zoidberg
Driver School Candidate

Default Victory!

P.O. is a retired MD here in Atlanta. His name was in the owners manual, I found him on the web, he responded to my email, the t/b was done at the dealership who claimed they didn't do it!!!! strange there was no sticker.

Thank you, gentlemen, for your suggestions.

Nalley Lexus in Smyrna = *******. Though such jack-assery is clearly not isolated to this dealer.
Old 02-19-10, 10:41 AM
rob22
Rookie

That's great news. In my experience, docs make great POs because they tend to be pretty fastidious regarding maintenance. The risk of not being able to get where they need to go in a hurry greatly outweighs the cost of preventive maintenance. One MD colleague/friend of mine and I joke because he paid as much for new floormats for his Bentley as I did for my used LS!

Glad it's all worked out.
Old 02-19-10, 01:05 PM
Zoidberg
Driver School Candidate

The latest service on my brother's Audi A8 cost $220 less than my LS... that car is truely mack-tastic.

Looked at the crankshaft pulley bolt--there are scuff marks both ways--it was definately loosened and tightened back up. Great suggestion, I can't think of another reason they'd do that.

This couldn't have come at a better time.

Again, thank you Rob.
Old 03-12-10, 06:58 AM
SLORICK
Driver School Candidate

Read these posts before wife's t-belt 02 LS430 was done at dealer last month. Asked if sticker would be done. My dealer said it comes with the belt, and most indies and some dealers write mileage/date and put it near radiator, but my dealer doesnt.
Says it is entered into Lexus Repair Database for all Dealers and Registered and future owners to see.

Go to Lexus.com and register you VIN. You can then see for yourself all past dealer repairs. Takes five minutes. You can add service done yourself, but that doesnt pass to future owners.
(Box at bottom of Lexus.com allows you to order another owners manual for free every six months. One for car, one for house)