LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

iPhone (iPod) integration - 98 LS400 w Nakamichi system (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-07, 08:31 AM
jcolegrove
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPhone (iPod) integration - 98 LS400 w Nakamichi system (The Mother thread)

hi all,

i've spent over an hour and half here searching methods to hardwire into the nakamichi cd changer wires on the first gen LS and all i find are dead end threads with no real writeups as to how to do?puredrifter posted what looks to be a partial, but... is this complete somewhere and i've just missed? i'm somewhat electrically-oriented, but the threads speak in generalities, etc..

specifically--
if i'm splicing into the cd changer outputs before going into the amp-- doesn't this bypass the sub amp?

would just a simple 4 pole switch do the job?

is there a complete write up somewhere?

any help is appreciated..!

thanks.
jc
Old 08-07-07, 08:45 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

im pretty sure PureDrifter did this on his 2gen LS. wait for him to chirp in.
Old 08-07-07, 08:55 AM
jcolegrove
Driver

that's the one where i don't THINK it's finished...? thanks.
Old 08-07-07, 08:56 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

he finished it, and he made a youtube video too. try searching for the threads he started in the car audio section of the forum. i know he started one here and in the car audio section.
Old 08-07-07, 12:35 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

im here guys, the tutorial is complete mostly but is missing a bit of vital info and a diagram, but ive been sick lately and havent gottent around to finishing them.

p.s.-Coco Bun, if u see, this, i havent forgotten, im just trying to find all my spare parts so i know how much itl be
The following users liked this post:
joetee (11-11-22)
Old 08-08-07, 07:05 AM
jcolegrove
Driver

ok-- ! at least i'm not stupid (well, not too much) i thought things were missing from the tutorial....

anybody else for ways to do this? i'm looking into the PIE option using the Sony aux unit as described in another thread.
Old 02-17-10, 04:55 PM
Hoffdaddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default iPhone (iPod) integration for 98 LS400 w Nakamichi system

Does anyone know how to integrate an iphone(ipod) with the OEM Nakamichi "Premium Sound" system?
I don't want to scrap my OEM head unit, I'm not too picky at this point, but I don't want a Cassette Adapter or FM Transmitter or Modulator.
I have logged many hours of futile searches, appears that there is something very special about the Nakamichi.
I did hear that Puredrifter has a solution? yet I could not find a thread!
Old 02-17-10, 07:39 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

PD's thread is in the audio section of this forum. eBay seller "factoryradios" advertises that he can add an RCA jack to the front or back of just about any Lexus radio for about $60 -- his method taps into the FM section of the radio if I remember correctly.
joetee (11-11-22)
Old 02-19-10, 10:03 AM
Hoffdaddy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply Kansas, so this would be a FM Modulator, I will look for the thread again.
have you done this to yours ??
Old 02-19-10, 11:25 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

PD's method involves hacking the CD changer cable and, if I remember correctly, required playing a blank CD while using the added AUX connection. Read about it here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...em-stereo.html

eBay vendor "factoryradios" hard wires an RCA jack in the FM section -- it's not an FM modulator. He either drills a hole and installs the RCA jack in the face of your head unit or puts the RCA jack on the end of a cable that exits the back of the head unit so you you can put your MP3/iPod where you want ... like in your center console or on a bracket. I posted a photo of the RCA jack on the front of the radio in this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...aux-input.html

Me, I'm content to burn music to CD's and have multiple CD cartridges I pop into the CD changer when I want to listen to something else. Besides, burning music on CD's allows me to use them in rental cars. It's been years since I've had a rental car without a CD player but I don't think I've ever had one with an RCA jack or an iPod connection -- the 2009/10 Camry I rented in California last and this week had an AUX button on the face of its headunit but didn't have the optional AUX kit. I'm going to make sure my next car has an iPod/RCA connection or Bluetooth music streaming but I'm going to try to keep my 00 LS until at least 2014.

I can't find anyone who repairs Lexus Nakamichi radios anymore. Everyone says there are no parts available and Lexus has stopped supplying new or rebuilt Nakamichi components for my 00 LS400. The local Lexus dealer says they have to reply parts for a car for only seven years after a car was manufactured. So, if your Nakamichi dies, you'll be looking for a used one on the forums or on eBay or doing some major wire splicing to install an aftermarket system.

Last edited by Kansas; 02-19-10 at 11:33 AM.
joetee (11-11-22)
Old 02-19-10, 01:45 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

my system doesnt need a blank CD or anything of the like. it is not in any way an fm modulator.
Old 02-22-10, 05:16 PM
Hoffdaddy
Driver School Candidate

PD, 3 years and 34 pages later, but I made it through; it appears that this issue has consumed countless hours of your time. I believe that I can do this mod, I just didn't want to if I didn't have to; having never completed any project without unforeseen challenges. So the adapter solution I seek eludes me, and here I am right back where I started. Your thread proves that demand exists, yet nobody can produce an plug-and play adapter...amazing!
I assume that your 99LS isn't Nak, which is why you accessed the wiring at the amp versus at the HU/CD Changer. Several folks have asked throughout how it can be determined what OEM system they have, Nak/Pioneer, if the face doesn't say one way or the other, what is the trick? I am no going to ask you for wiring diagrams I promise!
joetee (11-11-22)
Old 02-22-10, 05:56 PM
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the face doesn't say Nakamichi I'd assume it's Pioneer.
I took an Ipod to RCA cable from Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/Aux-Rca-Input-iP...item5ad6fe1638) cut the RCA's off and wired them into the CD changer harness (left & right) behind the glove box. Made a silent CD and put it on repeat. No hissing or anything. If you want it to charge the Ipod as well all you have to do is tap into a 12v source and ground the black wire. It was pretty easy.
I tried PD's solution but I can't solder for **** so I could never get it to work.
joetee (11-11-22)
Old 02-22-10, 06:05 PM
Hoffdaddy
Driver School Candidate

Kansas, the thread you noted ends with nobody trying/commenting on this aux solution, in fact I think the guy said he is inclined to pursue the PD method.
btw, I couldn't find your ebay seller, "factoryradios" or any variation thereof in the ebay store (also tried product keyword searches).
Old 02-22-10, 06:12 PM
Hoffdaddy
Driver School Candidate

Schnitz, you were the one Kansas thread referenced above, I thought you were, "...more than likely going to give PD's way a shot..." ?

Quick Reply: iPhone (iPod) integration - 98 LS400 w Nakamichi system (The Mother thread)