LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1998 Ls400 Low Idle Dies When Warm Except W Ac On

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-10, 10:39 PM
yenanlexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gp2m
1998 LS400 110k mi.

Starts and runs fine when cold.

Once warm, idles too low, 300-400 RPM, and will die unless either I give it some gas or turn the AC on. No CEL.

Can someone give me some ideas. When I search for my symptoms, I'm just seeing solutions for 1st gen LS400 with the IACV problem. I don't see an IACV on this motor. I've got the TB off now for cleaning. Anything else I should do to adress this problem while the TB is off?

Anyone have this issue on a 98+ vvti 1uzfe or 2uzfe?

Thanks!
I found the tps after took of the tp. tps is connect to the tp on the right side. I try to adjust the tps w/ the needle put behide the connetor of the tps and play around w/ it. I did adjust the tps to the right or left to get the reading of .8 ohm on digital multi meter. and then i connect every thing back. I start the car wait until it warm to the normal. it not low any more, but driving stall and not smooth as before???.
I try to find the idle control valve. I can't located.
Old 04-21-10, 01:45 PM
Chuboom
Driver School Candidate

I have the same issue but my car stalled on me on the hill. Thats when i notice my rpm meter was messed up. Does anyone live in San Jose Ca, that can help me with mine? I am not a car person... =/
Old 04-23-10, 04:26 PM
yenanlexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gp2m
1998 LS400 110k mi.

Starts and runs fine when cold.

Once warm, idles too low, 300-400 RPM, and will die unless either I give it some gas or turn the AC on. No CEL.

Can someone give me some ideas. When I search for my symptoms, I'm just seeing solutions for 1st gen LS400 with the IACV problem. I don't see an IACV on this motor. I've got the TB off now for cleaning. Anything else I should do to adress this problem while the TB is off?

Anyone have this issue on a 98+ vvti 1uzfe or 2uzfe?

Thanks!
The IACV is locating in the middle of the intake manifold in the intake chamber. Check the engine mount first before you mess w/ IACV it cost more than $700. For the idles too low, change the engine mounts, all 3. Now, my car no more low iddle, and run very smooth. I has it changed in Dealer: cooland flush, front brake change, and all 3 mounts. Total $1119.
Old 05-29-10, 07:12 AM
iamviolet
Rookie

motor mounts for low idle?
Old 05-30-10, 11:50 AM
lexie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iamviolet
motor mounts for low idle?
yeah! how the mounts has anything to do with the idle? my idle is around 400 too but engine no stall though.
Old 07-29-10, 08:23 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

hey all.. i have a similar problem, except my car dies when there is a load on it.. as in turning the ac on while idling or in stop and go traffic will likely kill my battery
i have replaced both the battery and my alternator.. here's my problem.. normally when you turn the ac on or put a load on the car, the rpm's go higher to compensate.. instead in my car, the rpm's drop even more.. so it idles realllly low with the load on the battery, it idles even lower with the radio AND the ac on.. pretty much kills my battery in city driving.. on the highway it's fine cause of the high rpm's
i'm hearing a lot about the throttle body and the tps.. are these symptoms related to those two things?
thanks in advance
Old 06-03-11, 06:27 AM
ctuba
Driver School Candidate

Did you ever find out what the problem was?? I have the same issue with my 1999 ls400 with the low idle speed and dying.
Old 11-12-14, 01:58 PM
mattylex77
Rookie

i just bought a 99 ls400 with 95k miles on it. warm Idle in D no headlights no AC, tach reads 200 rpm with accompanying harsh vibration coming from engine compartment that smoothes out in N at higher rpm 600~. As long as i run it like this in the past week it has not stalled.
I took it to the shop and they said the scanner was reading 500~600 rpm and that my tach is bad. BUUUT the tach behaves properly under all situations and moves the right way when it the shifts or i go into N or R, whatever. But usually when i start the car cold it doesn't move and then i have to whack the dash, which immediately brings it to life.
the car also has reasonable torque when i take my foot off the brake at idle, but not quite the torque of an engine running at 600 rpm. the mechanic suggested it was just the motor mounts causing the problem but i wouldn't expect them to be that bad at this mileage.
so to summarize.
reasons why i think its the engine causing the prob: don't think MM's could go this bad at this mileage, don't think the tach is broken.
reasons why the mechanic is right: the scanner said so, the car actually moves when i take my foot off the brake and i want him to be.

Also this is a florida car that spent the last 4 years in new york perhaps ECU caps are the culprit in the humid florida climate
Old 11-12-14, 03:19 PM
RugbyDad
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mattylex77
i just bought a 99 ls400 with 95k miles on it. warm Idle in D no headlights no AC, tach reads 200 rpm with accompanying harsh vibration coming from engine compartment that smoothes out in N at higher rpm 600~. As long as i run it like this in the past week it has not stalled.
I took it to the shop and they said the scanner was reading 500~600 rpm and that my tach is bad. BUUUT the tach behaves properly under all situations and moves the right way when it the shifts or i go into N or R, whatever. But usually when i start the car cold it doesn't move and then i have to whack the dash, which immediately brings it to life.
the car also has reasonable torque when i take my foot off the brake at idle, but not quite the torque of an engine running at 600 rpm. the mechanic suggested it was just the motor mounts causing the problem but i wouldn't expect them to be that bad at this mileage.
so to summarize.
reasons why i think its the engine causing the prob: don't think MM's could go this bad at this mileage, don't think the tach is broken.
reasons why the mechanic is right: the scanner said so, the car actually moves when i take my foot off the brake and i want him to be.

Also this is a florida car that spent the last 4 years in new york perhaps ECU caps are the culprit in the humid florida climate
I believe that new York is in the top 5 most humid States in the country. Up there with Louisiana. From what I've read ecu caps are more prone to failure on the earlier gens. That being said it's a good preventative measure to take.

I experience this same issue to some degree. Not 200 rpms.. More like 450 with no Ac and no lights. My motor mounts are going bad and I'm @ 82k on a 2000.
Old 11-12-14, 04:19 PM
mattylex77
Rookie

just cant believe an ls400 tachometer would be inaccurate, motor mounts ok but the tach??? perhaps an ecu caps thing. I would love for the esteemed lscowboyls or yamae to chime in on this one. i also have an intermittent check engine light that is apparently from a lean o2 sensor. maybe related?
Old 11-12-14, 07:27 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Run a couple of Chevron techron fuel treatments and clean your MAF sensor for the intermittent code.
Old 11-12-14, 08:16 PM
mattylex77
Rookie

thanks for the replies, wouldn't simply just replacing the o2 sensor fix the issue? or is the dirty MAF the underlying problem
Old 11-12-14, 08:22 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Motor mounts...

Any error codes? How's the fuel mileage? Many possibilities to randomly run off. Check the vacuum hoses, leaks there and especially to the intake plenum are critical.
Old 11-13-14, 01:44 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by mattylex77
thanks for the replies, wouldn't simply just replacing the o2 sensor fix the issue? or is the dirty MAF the underlying problem
Cleaning the MAF and running the Techron chevron gas cleaner is meant to stop the intermittent code from reappearing and most likely will not fix the underlying issue. It did however fix my SAME issue of idling low, running rich and car dying so give it a try. Make sure to use a MAF cleaner though.
Old 11-13-14, 04:23 PM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40
Motor mounts...

Any error codes? How's the fuel mileage? Many possibilities to randomly run off. Check the vacuum hoses, leaks there and especially to the intake plenum are critical.
I quite agree with Mike.
I also suggest you to clean the throttle body and the air mix path to injectors. For models 98-00, the ECU capacitors cause the AT shifting problems first in most of the cases. Your problem is not directly related to ECU capacitors, I assume. Of course it would be good to replace capacitors as a preventive measure like I did. But this will not be removing your problem, I can imagine.

Don't you notice any slow acceleration then an unexpected speed up when you turn a corner or slow down at a speed bump? A badly clogged throttle body confuses the ECU and causes this symptom when you speed down then accelerate. In other words, the symptom is described that the gas pedal does not respond as you expect once you speed down and then speed up.

Quick Reply: 1998 Ls400 Low Idle Dies When Warm Except W Ac On