LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Just test drove a 1995 LS400... It's a must have!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-10, 07:51 AM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Just test drove a 1995 LS400... It's a must have!

Ok, so I'm a long time member, but never had the chance to test drive a LS400. Last night I did.

I cannot believe how it feels to drive that car. It's far from the experience of driving anything else. It feels, to me, to be the best built car I've ever driven. The only comparable vehicles that I've driven are a '93 Toyota MR2 and a '01 BMW M3. I've even driven a '98 SC400 and didn't get the same reaction. The LS400 seems to have been better designed and engineered than the SC400.

Anyways, I'm a college student and I'm about ready to buy one. What I'm asking is for you guys to help me decide whether or not I should.

I'm looking at a 1995 LS400 with 170,000 miles. I haven't talked much with the owner about service records and what not, but I will. The asking price is $3,999.00. I'm sure it's negotiable, but w/out timing belt/waterpump service I'm only willing to pay $3,200.00. Is that fair? Overall condition is clean, but I need to check the autocheck records.

So what should I do? Go back to a beater 4-cylinder or should I just invest in the LS400 and drive it forever?
Old 02-02-10, 08:29 AM
ck90211
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 4 banger/beater from Toyota and Honda should be as reliable as a LS. But you probably will want the LS after you graduate and wanting something better, provided the miles you drive are not crazy (not like 100 miles each day for work/school). I just bought a 95 for my college age son (his other choices were Rav4, 4 runner) and he chose the LS because of ride, safety and looks. If you get $700 off for service than great, but make sure it is done right. We had to put in $1000 in various services (for timing belt, water pump, hood struts, starter, fan clutch, fan clutch bearing, brakes and rotors). Not that the car needs it, but with used cars one must assume all things undone. Next will be power steering pump and struts (another $1000 there). Not a cheap car to keep up but they still look/drive better than any new non-luxury cars (Camry, Accord, etc.), and far more reliable than a MB or BMW long term. One thing you can do before buying is to sign up at Lexus website (for My Lexus), enter the VIN, and get all service history (from any Lexus dealerships). Not too much info but you will know when/where the car was serviced.
Old 02-02-10, 10:34 AM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ck90211
If you get $700 off for service than great, but make sure it is done right. We had to put in $1000 in various services (for timing belt, water pump, hood struts, starter, fan clutch, fan clutch bearing, brakes and rotors). Not that the car needs it, but with used cars one must assume all things undone. Next will be power steering pump and struts (another $1000 there). Not a cheap car to keep up but they still look/drive better than any new non-luxury cars (Camry, Accord, etc.), and far more reliable than a MB or BMW long term. One thing you can do before buying is to sign up at Lexus website (for My Lexus), enter the VIN, and get all service history (from any Lexus dealerships). Not too much info but you will know when/where the car was serviced.
I hear you, I'm debating whether to get one because of the cost of maintenance. I loved the way it drove, but I will probably wait out for a well maintained one at around $4,500-$5,000.

As for the "My Lexus" suggestion, I will get on that right away. I never knew that could be done. Thanks for that.
Old 02-02-10, 10:38 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maintenance on a Lexus isn't that bad compared to German engineering, trust me. Also, most of the maintenance you can probably do yourself if you are a little mechanically inclined.
Old 02-02-10, 11:21 AM
ck90211
Driver

If you really want ultimate cheap go with any 4 bangers with stick and no amenities (AC, power steering, ABS, etc..). Had Mazda 323 and Civic and drove 200K miles and done only fluid/plug/pads/clutch changes, and sold them for minimal depreciation. But if you want some amenities (luxury car things) nothing is as well built and cheap to maintain as an used LS. Parts are still reasonable (same price as most Japanese cars), and labor too (most Japanese mechanics will take them). Best yet for $15 (for 2 days) you can download complete repair manuals from Toyota, so you can decide if you want to DIY or pay someone to do it. I spent $1000 so soon because previous owner has a mechanic at his biz who can do all those for cheap (I paid something like $20/hr or less), plus I want to give my son a trouble-free car. Would not have rushed if it wasn't so.
Old 02-02-10, 12:24 PM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Yeah I've been through the whole 4-banger thing and personally I'd rather go carless than go back to that. I can only say I'd buy another one if it meant getting to work for a better job...

But honestly, I completely deleted the LS400 from my mind when thinking about a potential car. I've had a '93 MR2 and '94 Legend Coupe 6-speed in the past. I thought the LS400 would just be boring and not fun. IMO, the LS400, after driving it, isn't exciting or fun, but it does feel special. And the ride is far from boaty. I drove a '98 Acura 3.5RL, now that thing is boaty feeling.

I thought my next car would be a 2005-2006 Acura TL 6-Speed, but I can't deny the value that the LS400 gives. You get so much for so much less.

The LS400 remains on my list of must have cars in the future. Hopefully not too far in the future...

P.S. I'm willing to mechanical work, but the only issue is that I do not have a garage to do it in...
Old 02-02-10, 12:35 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Hi Lsportline,
It's cool that you like the LS. Don't be afraid of doing driveway maintenance. I did a timing belt and seal job on a '95 in a driveway, no sweat, and no special tools except a harmonic balancer remover borrowed (bought) from AutoZone.
Save a couple grand more and find a '98-00 model, those are the cats meow and are getting cheap!
I bought my '96 LS4 in 2006 for $4,000 and will drive it until 2012 or so. I bought my (now sister's) '95 LS4 in 2009 for $1250 (but spent about $1500 to patch it up, including new tires) and she will probably drive it for three or four years as well. You should plan for about six years until you get sick of the car and want a newer one, so get one that's got a good interior and body. Mechanical issues can be fixed, body and interior work is not as fun.
Old 02-02-10, 02:35 PM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Thermactor
Hi Lsportline,
It's cool that you like the LS. Don't be afraid of doing driveway maintenance. I did a timing belt and seal job on a '95 in a driveway, no sweat, and no special tools except a harmonic balancer remover borrowed (bought) from AutoZone.
Save a couple grand more and find a '98-00 model, those are the cats meow and are getting cheap!
I bought my '96 LS4 in 2006 for $4,000 and will drive it until 2012 or so. I bought my (now sister's) '95 LS4 in 2009 for $1250 (but spent about $1500 to patch it up, including new tires) and she will probably drive it for three or four years as well. You should plan for about six years until you get sick of the car and want a newer one, so get one that's got a good interior and body. Mechanical issues can be fixed, body and interior work is not as fun.
I'd love to attempt a timing belt/waterpump, but honestly have never went that far with repairs. The hardest thing I've done is a brake pad replacement, lol.

I'm definitely willing to try it out, but definitely would like to have someone who knows what they are doing with me.

And yes I hope to keep the LS400 for a long time. It seems like a car that you get and keep for a while. I don't see myself getting tired of it soon...

Before driving the LS400, I had my heart set on getting something with a manual transmission, but I really enjoyed driving the LS400's automatic. There's a real difference between the design of automatic transmissions.

As for the '98-2000 models, I would love to own one, but honestly I do not think I can afford it. I don't want to spend all my money on the vehicle and have nothing for repairs/maintenance.
Old 02-02-10, 05:05 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Forever is a long time It is hard to beat the LS. I have a 95 and it has over 260,000 miles now. The owner likely has not done the second timing belt procedure so it will need it B4 200,000 miles. Since that will cost between $500-$1,000 and it requires premium fuel maybe a more economical car is better for you for now. When you get out of school you can get one that is newer, etc. But that all depends on your specific situation tho
Old 02-02-10, 05:34 PM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

I am a college (grad) student with a '97 LS400. It's a great car, but I do get very nitpicky about suspension noises and such that it develops over time. Mine only has about 112k miles by the way.

This car is definitely reliable. But driving it, I feel 70 years old. My next car will be something that doesn't make me feel dead when I drive it. It's a nice car, though.
Old 02-02-10, 07:14 PM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Everybody makes a good point. I was just excited after driving the LS400. It's really amazing! And I didn't even get to go on the freeway with it. I'm thinking that's where it really is meant to be.

Either way, I am probably going to wait it out until I find a job after graduating until I get a LS400. But we'll see how it plays out.
Old 02-02-10, 08:26 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i should finally sell my LS400 at 211k was going to let it go for 3500. didn't know our 95 where still running for that much. i thought putting at 3500 was expensive :x!!! got the tein cst and junk on it. but good luck on getting a ls400 its a great car.
Old 02-02-10, 10:19 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My personal opinion for you would be to look at a first generation Toyota Avalon. Almost as smooth as an ls. Uses camry parts so parts are cheap. And is very reliable (more so than the LS) I own a 1995 avalon and a 1992 ls400. The avalon will get you 23 miles per gallon city and 29 highway and the rear leg room is better than the LS and the engine is silky smooth. Yeah the LS is one step above it but not by much. You can get a nice one with 125,000 for 3500 (1995 to 1999)
Old 02-02-10, 10:37 PM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sam12345
My personal opinion for you would be to look at a first generation Toyota Avalon. Almost as smooth as an ls. Uses camry parts so parts are cheap. And is very reliable (more so than the LS) I own a 1995 avalon and a 1992 ls400. The avalon will get you 23 miles per gallon city and 29 highway and the rear leg room is better than the LS and the engine is silky smooth. Yeah the LS is one step above it but not by much. You can get a nice one with 125,000 for 3500 (1995 to 1999)
I sat in a 1996 Toyota Avalon and I must admit it was impressive. The build quality and material used were very nice. I don't know if it was as good as the LS400, but it was close if not equal to.

I'll have to test drive a Avalon as I've never driven one before. But definitely a good suggestion. I'm going to keep that in mind.
Old 02-02-10, 10:42 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

if you have a limited budget and arent mechanically incline i would go with the yota like sam said otherwise ls400 for the win

Quick Reply: Just test drove a 1995 LS400... It's a must have!