LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

fuel gauge dosent work on 94 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-10, 08:27 PM
michael69
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel gauge dosent work on 94 LS400

fuel gauge doesnt work, but low fuel light comes on how might i fix this problem
Old 01-30-10, 11:19 PM
tgxlayzie
Driver School Candidate

search topic about your instrument cluster, its a common problem, would most likely have to get it rebuilt
Old 02-09-10, 05:07 PM
teKcirc
Driver School Candidate

Default Same problem

I have a same car and same problem like your. Did you find the solution yet?

Thanks
Originally Posted by michael69
fuel gauge doesnt work, but low fuel light comes on how might i fix this problem
Old 02-09-10, 05:11 PM
teKcirc
Driver School Candidate

Default I did search

I did search and read for three day now but have not see any problem like what I have. All the post I readed is about the needle light went out, gas needle just half way like that but don't see anyone have a solution for the gas needle not working at all. Could you point me to the right direction.

Thanks
Originally Posted by tgxlayzie
search topic about your instrument cluster, its a common problem, would most likely have to get it rebuilt
Old 02-10-10, 07:56 AM
Mazenm
Driver School Candidate

Got the same problem so I reset the trip meter on fill-up and watch for that warning light. If you find a solution I would be interested
Old 02-10-10, 09:48 AM
teKcirc
Driver School Candidate

Saw new post => happy to check out out => Another ppl jump in the same boat => Waiting and search again
Originally Posted by Mazenm
Got the same problem so I reset the trip meter on fill-up and watch for that warning light. If you find a solution I would be interested
Old 02-10-10, 11:59 AM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, it's a fuel gauge........so the problem can come from two source. The sensing unit or the indicator. Since your refill light comes on, it seems to me like the sensing unit is functioning correctly. Cause if it was stuck or something, it won't let you know that the tank is getting empty. So the problem has to be w/ the indicator. If you could find the wire from your wiring harness that connects to the fuel tank, you can see if this wire has become corroded or if it is not grounded properly. This could cause it to not work correctly. I haven't had this problem before, so I am just pointing out the obvious....but maybe that helps a little.
Old 02-10-10, 04:48 PM
teKcirc
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for your help. That sound good to me. I will try to replace the caps this weekend to see what happen

Thanks
Originally Posted by romeo291
Well, it's a fuel gauge........so the problem can come from two source. The sensing unit or the indicator. Since your refill light comes on, it seems to me like the sensing unit is functioning correctly. Cause if it was stuck or something, it won't let you know that the tank is getting empty. So the problem has to be w/ the indicator. If you could find the wire from your wiring harness that connects to the fuel tank, you can see if this wire has become corroded or if it is not grounded properly. This could cause it to not work correctly. I haven't had this problem before, so I am just pointing out the obvious....but maybe that helps a little.
Old 02-11-10, 11:25 AM
teKcirc
Driver School Candidate

Default Woohoo

My 94 LS400 the gas gauge was dead completely but the fuel empty warning light working.

Today I replace the C142 on the big board and the problem is fix. Plus everything back turn on the key and bum the gas gauge jump to haft tank which is about right. I don't need to adjust the needle.

The A/B trip is reset to zero, don't know if the ODO is working or not cause I do more than haft mile test drive but don't see it count yet.

Thank you for everyone in here sharing the solution.
Old 02-12-10, 08:28 AM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by teKcirc
My 94 LS400 the gas gauge was dead completely but the fuel empty warning light working.

Today I replace the C142 on the big board and the problem is fix. Plus everything back turn on the key and bum the gas gauge jump to haft tank which is about right. I don't need to adjust the needle.

The A/B trip is reset to zero, don't know if the ODO is working or not cause I do more than haft mile test drive but don't see it count yet.

Awesome man!

Since I am the only one offering a solution, I am assuming you're just thanking me. I expect a beer whenever I visit your town now. . jk, I am glad you solved it, hope this helps a lot of people. Perhaps you can post some more information of the part you replaced to help others as well.
Old 02-12-10, 12:11 PM
teKcirc
Driver School Candidate

I can take you to strip club if you want to when you here in the "weired" place.

For the cap I just used the same value cap from my old PC motherboard. the thought hole one
Originally Posted by romeo291
Awesome man!

Since I am the only one offering a solution, I am assuming you're just thanking me. I expect a beer whenever I visit your town now. . jk, I am glad you solved it, hope this helps a lot of people. Perhaps you can post some more information of the part you replaced to help others as well.
Old 11-26-10, 11:45 PM
hgonzalez
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for your help. That sound good to me. I will try to replace the caps this weekend to see what happen

Thanks

I have this exact same problem on my 97 Supra.. Lucky I came found this old thread..
1. what is a "cap"
2. what is "C142"
Old 11-26-10, 11:47 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 293 Likes on 241 Posts

a cap is something that you bust in anger
Old 11-26-10, 11:55 PM
hgonzalez
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sdls
a cap is something that you bust in anger
Jajaa..found out its a capacitor on the gauge cluster...