LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Stupid Questions from a NOOB here

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-10, 09:39 AM
NickGeee
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Stupid Questions from a NOOB here

Ok I have a few questions and problems, sorry, im a noob.

- On cold mornings my gauge lights don't light up at all, any fix? they take like half an hour to turn on.

- My power steering pump is new, but i fill it up, and after a few hours, its completely gone, where is the problem?

- passenger rear window rolls down with my driver switch, but only goes up with the passenger rear switch O.o

- previous owner changed brake assembly, now my airbag light, trac off, trac light, and that wheel light (i think, red circle with parentheses around it) is on.

- fuel gauge doesn't work, i fill up tank and it slowly, and i mean slowly, moves up to like 1/4 way.

- if i install an aftermarket cd player, will a toyota wire harness work? or will stores sell lexus wire harnesses.
Old 01-23-10, 09:48 AM
blkvip
Rookie

quite the list try helping ya with the radio,yes a toyoa harness should work but you have to get the one that fits depending on the year, the harness will be different if you have a navi system or no navi system with the nakamichi or without nakamichi

http://www.crutchfield.com/app/car/c...ml%3ftp%3d736&

youll see what i mean, if you can have a decent shop put it in,i was gonna put my alpine but to much and the size of it is smaller than factory im just waiting to get the new avic.
Old 01-23-10, 09:52 AM
NickGeee
Rookie

mines a 93 ls400, its got a tape player, thats it lol
Old 01-23-10, 10:06 AM
blkvip
Rookie

same mines a 98, thro i do have the mulit cd changer but that dosnt work hahaha
Old 01-23-10, 02:15 PM
JAndersson
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NickGeee
Ok I have a few questions and problems, sorry, im a noob.

- On cold mornings my gauge lights don't light up at all, any fix? they take like half an hour to turn on.

- My power steering pump is new, but i fill it up, and after a few hours, its completely gone, where is the problem?

- passenger rear window rolls down with my driver switch, but only goes up with the passenger rear switch O.o

- previous owner changed brake assembly, now my airbag light, trac off, trac light, and that wheel light (i think, red circle with parentheses around it) is on.

- fuel gauge doesn't work, i fill up tank and it slowly, and i mean slowly, moves up to like 1/4 way.

- if i install an aftermarket cd player, will a toyota wire harness work? or will stores sell lexus wire harnesses.
The problem on your first point is a standard problem on the 1 Gen LS400 and depends in almost all cases on bad capacitors on the back of the clusters combination. Don't worry it's cheap to fix if you find a good place that can solder and repair electronics, or even cheaper if you can solder your self (just a few bucks for the material). First read trough this post on the Lexus owners club, especially post nr 5: http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/for...6&#entry297226
You can find a picture on the circuit board here with the capacitors that you have to change marked: http://apaqdigital.com/ls400/instrument_circuit.jpg
More information on how to dissemble the cluster combination can you find here: http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/electrical/

Can't really help you with your other problem but I recommend you to read trough the sticky on the top there you find a lot of information about e.g. problems with the power steering and so on.

A last thing the symbol with "red circle with parentheses around it" is the brake pad wear sensor warning. Your sensor is probably just broken or you have the change the brake pads.

Hope this will answer some of your questions.
Old 01-23-10, 07:14 PM
NickGeee
Rookie

thanks for that info! ill look into it..

look.. i installed the cd player today!!

Old 01-23-10, 07:16 PM
NickGeee
Rookie

oh man i cant do that instrument gauge fix ): ... can someone do it for me? heh..