LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400 > LS430 .... ? am I wrong ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-10, 01:25 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts
Default LS400 > LS430 .... ? am I wrong ?

I have always wanted an LS400, and recently decided to buy one. After looking for a couple months, I have found most of them are too far gone or have too many miles for me. Kinda sad thinking I waited too long and may have missed the boat on owning an LS400.

I looked at a few LS430 and while they are very nice, they just don't interest me the same way as the older LS. Maybe it's too big or too tall, but I don't like them as much and I really can't put my finger on the reason why.

I will keep looking for a perfect LS400 to buy, but it looks like its going to be a long wait.
Old 01-16-10, 02:27 PM
toxictv
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I've found is that if you can find a straight body and solid motor/transmission, these cars are easy to work on and reliable.

I bought my '91 with 135k on it for $2,200. I've put new pads, rotors, tires, and about to put a new suspension on it all the way around. The car has a lot of little things that need to be done..but this motor is amazing. I'm fairly confident that it's only the things around it i'll ever have to worry about.

So..don't be afraid to purchase a higher mileage LS400. Chances are, with a little TLC, they can be just what you're looking for.

One thing's for sure, no matter the miles, you will have to do preventative and necessary maintenance pretty often, since they're older cars. If not the miles, the years will require some attention.

Good luck!
Old 01-16-10, 03:31 PM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Keep looking. You are lucky about one thing with these LS400s. The demographics of first time purchasers is older people who drive sedately and maintain their cars responsibly. Keep your eyes glued to the classifieds, search local warm weather areas for the first owners who are getting rid of their car because of health issues or retirement. That would be Southern California and Florida primarily. Auto Trader will much more usually have second or third owners who are restless and often lousy at caring for their cars. Also, dealers can have real gems hidden in plain sight because they are pushing the bling the new the "hot deal!" while there is a lowly low mileage LS400 sitting on the side. That is how I got mine. Advertised at $4,995.00 @ 95,748 miles sitting next to a BMW 330C and an Audi A6 the dealer wanted that frumpy Lexus off the lot. For $3,995.00 + tax out the door, I obliged.

I have not found, in the 130,000 Lexus miles I have enjoyed, that these cars niggle you with repairs. You *really do have to* set them up correctly at the get-go, get it squared away, repair what needs to be repaired, do the maintence, do it well, and once you are caught up, man, watch those miles just tick off no problemo . . .
Colin
Old 01-16-10, 04:04 PM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Keep your head up!

Hey stu, don't shy away from the LS because the mileage is a little high. The majority of Lexus owners take very good care of their cars. If you are interested in the 98-00 models, they are super reliable and the only common things to be aware of is really just maintenance items like bushings, water pump, timing belt, fluids, tuneup and such(100k mile service).

My father and I both bought 99 LS's sept 08. Mine had 90k miles at purchase now 113k+. My dad had 96k miles at purchase now has 114k+, neither has a problem other than regular maintenance. Some of these things are expensive, but it evens out when you figure you won't have to do most of this stuff in another 100k miles. The good thing with some of the cars around 100k miles is that the expensive service has already been done so you save money.

Both my father's and mine already had the 100k service done when we bought them. If it has been done it will be written on this little plaque in the engine compartment between the battery and strut mount. Hopefully this helps out!
Old 01-17-10, 02:22 AM
Spacepig
Rookie

Not sure what you mean by too many miles, but I looked at a bunch of LS's, including a '95 w/ 50k on it before buying my '98 with 120k on it 2 years ago. It still looks and runs like it might have 20k on it. I would buy another in an instant. Makes any new car this side of $50,000 feel cheap and noisy in comparison. Its all in how its been maintained. Look for records (easy if maintained by the dealer). Mine was a 2 owner car, and both of them must have been just as **** and fastidious about their cars as I am. Similar to j three, my father in law was some impressed with my car, he went out and also bought a '98 (actually a car I had previously looked at but rejected because the price was too high; a few weeks later the car was still available and the price had come down). His car had 90k on it and has been flawless as well.
Old 01-17-10, 03:40 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Stu, if an LS430 is within your budget, consider buying an LS430 instead of an LS400.

I also was put off by the LS430 for the first few years after it came out -- I thought the styling looked a little "over the top" in the way it was chasing Mercedes. I thought it looked big, clunky and ungainly while the LS400 looked sort of sporty -- maybe the word "sporty" isn't the right word but maybe you know what I mean.

But as far as they drive, I really couldn't tell any difference between the way a new 03 LS430 and a gently used 00 LS400 drove when I drove them back to back in 2003 at a Lexus dealer.

Back in 2003, a used 2001 430 commanded a huge price increase (> $10K) over a 2000 LS400 even if the 2000 LS400 was in better condition and much lower mileage.

Based on my preference for the LS400 style and the big price difference between a new or used LS430 and a low mileage used 2000 LS400, I went with the 2000 LS400.

Looking back, I think I would have been happier if I had "sucked" it up, quelled the wife, and bought a new or used LS430. I didn't understand the advantages of the LS430 ... like the redesigned audio system that you can get a plug and play iPod or Sat radio interface for ... or the vastly larger trunk ... or the big increase in rear seat legroom.

If you buy an 01 LS430 with nav, you can still even get a current update for it -- try that with a 98-00 LS400 nav system -- the last 98-00 LS400 nav update is from 2005.

I'm not saying that I don't like my 2000 LS400 -- I like it a lot. But we aim to keep cars a long time (10-15 years) and I think I would be happier for the next five years with an LS430 than my LS400.

Take a look at the list of differences between the LS400 and LS430: http://www.lexls.com/info/lsgenerations.html
Old 01-17-10, 07:27 PM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know exactly what the op is talking about, imo

its all in the hood

look at the progression of hood length from the first ls, to the 430, the new just looks stumpy by comparison IMO. Im a sucker for that classy long hood, to me its synonymous with luxury.

judge for yourself. check out the link in kansas's post
Old 01-17-10, 08:11 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by toxictv
... I bought my '91 with 135k on it for $2,200.
that's great, but thats too old for me. I want something newer so I can have it for the next 10 years !

Originally Posted by Amskeptic
Keep looking. Colin
I am going to. As long as I get one thats been properly maintained, repairs are not a concern.

Originally Posted by j three
Hey stu, don't shy away from the LS because the mileage is a little high. The majority of Lexus owners take very good care of their cars.
not from what I've seen. Most Lexus owners who buy new cars are NOT enthusiasts.

Originally Posted by Spacepig
Not sure what you mean by too many miles, but I looked at a bunch of LS's, including a '95 w/ 50k on it before buying my '98 with 120k on it 2 years ago. It still looks and runs like it might have 20k on it. I would buy another in an instant. Makes any new car this side of $50,000 feel cheap and noisy in comparison.
For me it has to be under 100,000 miles - 80,000 miles would be better !
I know they run great at 120,000 mile, that's why I want one !

Originally Posted by Kansas
Stu, if an LS430 is within your budget, consider buying an LS430 instead of an LS400. ...
Its not about the difference in price, but I get that you see issues the same way I do !

Originally Posted by Brandicus
I know exactly what the op is talking about, imo

its all in the hood
Its not that simple ... but yes, I liked the older hood lines better.
Old 01-17-10, 08:40 PM
texan_176
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree with the OP as well.

Back in 98 I was looking at buying an LS and looked at several of them. The 95 was my favorite at the time because of the rear seat room. It was just a huge difference from the older model.

But as far as looks go the 98-00 is very conservative yet modern. The front end is now started to look dated on them but how the rear end narrows like Jaguar XJs is pretty cool and timeless. Those cars could be had with HID low beams and wood grain steering wheels which were great touches.

The 01-03 cars were just ugly even though technologically superior. Something was just wrong with the lines in the body. How the front end had that bug eye look as a little insane.

They did a great revision on the 04-06 cars though. The lines were revised and the headlights were also revised a bit and although not pretty they were okay. The rear end was totally Mercedes Benz inspired and it worked. The available 18 inch 5 spoke wheels as seen in the link below were magnificent on the car.

http://www.netcarshow.com/lexus/2004...llpaper_04.htm

I'm not a fan of the styling on the current 07+ gen. It looks way too camry like everywhere but the front end. The grille is extremely ugly and if I did not know otherwise I would think it was aftermarket made in China bolted on by an owner with more money than intelligence.

In any kind of car it's better not to have the built in navi. because if you plan to keep it a long time the support for it will be phased out as the technology improves.

For about $200 you can buy a hand held navi. that can go from car to car, be updated easily, and has features like real time traffic conditions, etc...
Old 01-18-10, 03:17 AM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

I feel your pain, I've been looking for the "perfect" SC forever.

I'm also in the LS400>LS430 boat though that is just my opinion. The 430's are great cars but the 98-00 models will always have a place in my heart.

Good luck on your search, these beasts are fun to drive.