LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Sunroof sags

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-09, 11:19 PM
Jrezo
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sunroof sags

Hello All,

I have searched multiple threads on this problem and have been unsuccessful.

The Sunroof literally sags in the drivers side rear portion of the glass. It will open and close all the way with no problem. It will tilt but on the drivers side it goes to about normal position when closed but while in full till and the passenger side is open tilt about 2 inches or so. With winter coming in stronger i am a little nervous to have a soaked interior soon. If anyone watched the Chargers win yesterday some winter we are having, sorry nice and sunny but still dont want to be stuck in a rainy spot.

Not sure if something broke, shimes are off or if there is some setting that i can adjust once roof is removed. Thank you for any insight, i want to know a little something before removing the headliner. This looks like few hours of fun.

Oh just but the car 2 weeks ago so have no real history on how or why this happened. I will save the purchase story and pics for another day.

Thanks again for any insight
Old 12-21-09, 11:24 PM
Jrezo
Pole Position

Oh sorry,

1990 LS4
Old 12-28-09, 09:09 PM
Jrezo
Pole Position

Bump,

Anyone?

Now it looks like the passenger side sits below the roof line.

thanks for any input. I really dont want to have to by a whole sunroof assembly.

Jrezo
Old 12-30-09, 11:15 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There is another thread where I posted how to adjust the sunroof.
Old 12-31-09, 11:11 PM
Jrezo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by skperformance
There is another thread where I posted how to adjust the sunroof.
Thanks SK,

So what i ended up doing was just removing the glass completely and seeing how it operated.

Not sure if this is anything you have dealt with before but the driver side of the roof is the side having the issue. With the glass off i tilted and opened and the drivers side doesnt move at all.

Could the Guide Rail fail? or Drive Gear?

Thanks
Old 01-01-10, 03:36 PM
waseem3000
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I guess the cable for sunroof is faulty

Hi,

From my experience on 2000 LX470 I can tell you most likely the drive cable for the driver side could either be out of alignment or worn out and this is causing it to get stuck or maybe I am wrong and it could just be an alignment problem.

Now the drive cable is not an electronic cable, it is just the whole track with an attached cable on each side where the glass attaches, and then whole cable including the track where the sunroof glass sits moves when you press the button and on tilt it just moves further and it is again the same cable.

It could also simply be a greasing issue and the only way in my view would be to open the headliner and pry out the drive cable, that too obviously after you removed the glass and clean the cable completely after removing all the grease and then check the places where the glass is attached (the arm which tilts on pressing tilt) and dissasemble the section and grease it.

Try it, if it works well then very good else if not then you can get a whole assembly for the cable on each side from Lexus as was my case as both my cables were charred and the track was fine, but it is a complete part from Lexus. I paid around 80 dollars each and changed them myself. But my case was different as it wasnt moving or tilting. Since yours moves then no need to shed money on the cable or even remove the headliner. It could just be an adjustment for the nuts that hold the brackets where they attach on the glass. Pry the covers on the glass and remove the glass from there and loosen the bolts to adjust the problematic side and then retighten.

Else try resetting the suroof which I am not clearly sure how, but search the forums and you shall find a reset procedure.

Else dont know what to say as havent seen it and cant help more than this as this is from my experience on the LX.

Hope this helps and if I can help anymore, let me know.

Sorry if I gave you a bad news about the roof, I am just trying to help if I can.

Congrats on the purchase and hope this lasts with you a long time.

And by the way I love my LS400 1999 way more than my brothers LX470.... LS400 rocks!
Old 01-01-10, 05:46 PM
Jrezo
Pole Position

Thanks Man,

Ya the drivers side doesn't move at all so i think it may be the drive cable just on that side. Not looking forward to removing the headliner at all but will keep you guys posted with results.