LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1995 LEXUS LS 400 after market CD Deck question

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-09, 02:40 PM
tlee1234
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 LEXUS LS 400 after market CD Deck question

Hey Guys,

My dad has a 1995 LEXUS LS 400, and the CD player (Deck) stock one is

getting old, and he would like to change it to after market. I understand

this is not an easy task for this car? Do you guys know any shops in

southern califonia (i'm in palmdale, ca) that can install a pretty decent

deck into my dad's car? I heard if you don't get the right deck, the stock

speakers will not function, is this correct?

Thanks guys
Old 11-29-09, 01:11 AM
edtbjon
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a 95 too and I've changed all of the audio components in the car. Everything is custom made for the LS and there is nothing, repeat: nothing, in this system which you can simply replace with a more modern unit.
Besides, even though the stock speakers sounds really decent for stock speakers, replacing at least the front speakers with new e.g. 5 1/4" speakers will improve sound quality a lot. The same goes for the subwoofer.
What I'm trying to say here is that having a workshop doing replacement work for any part of the system will cost you a lot of money.
A link to a post describing a lot about the complexity of the system: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-diagrams.html

//Björn
Old 11-29-09, 03:14 AM
lev00221
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hello,
You are partially right about changing the deck. You don't need a specific deck. That is, any deck will work. The issue is that once you remove the factory deck all of the factory equalization will be gone. Lexus engineers spent some time tuning the stereo sytem (both the Pioneer and the Nakamichi factory systems) in the LS. They made adjustments for cabin size, speaker placement and size, interior materials, etc. Thus, with the new deck the factory system will not sound as good to you although it will work. The aftermarket system has the potential to sound much, much better than the factory system but your father would need to change more than just the head unit (deck).
I hope that helps. Please ask if you have any more questions.
Take care,
Luis
Old 11-29-09, 11:51 PM
ryhi
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

metra makes a cd dash kit but as far as i know there is no direct wire harness that you can plug and play into the new deck. you will lose the rear sub unless you have an amplifier installed to power it. your best bet if taking it to a shop is to buy a double din unit and the metra dash kit online then taking it to have it installed. you will definitely save big bucks buying online. good luck.
Old 11-29-09, 11:56 PM
tlee1234
Driver School Candidate

lev00221 you said:

Thus, with the new deck the factory system will not sound as good to you although it will work.

How bad is the sound going to be, w/ a direct change of only the deck you think?

Because right now, cd player 6 disc is broken, so even 1/2 decent sound is better than nothing!

Right now my dad, has a portable cd player connect to the tape deck, sounds terrible, hah!

Let me know thanks
Old 11-30-09, 12:12 AM
ryhi
Pole Position

the factory sub does make a big difference. it will not sound good unless you power the rear sub.
Old 11-30-09, 02:05 AM
edtbjon
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The reason for this being expensive in any case is that the first gen. LS (90-94) had an amplifier in the head unit plus an extra amplifier for the subwoofer. Now let's forget these paragraphs, as things are more complicated than that.
Your 95 (I got a 95 too.) has quite a different system, which is why there are no wire harnesses for these cars. ryhi is correct about the "Metra dash kit", which will fit directly into your car. These kits comes in either single or double din sizes, your choice.

Now, the system: The original head unit only have a preamplifier in it. The real amplifier is under the right side passenger seat. There is also a second amplifier for the subwoofer in the back in the boot next to the sub-speaker itself. This leaves you with some options.
First will be to give it up and replace the broken CD-changer, an item which can be found with some patience and a few searches on the Internet. (E.g. I got a working one in my garage.)
Second, if you want a more modern head unit (MP3, USB etc), you can power the speakers from the new headunit, but you have to route the speaker wires from the head unit to either each and every speaker or down to the preamplifier and splice them into the outgoing speaker wires there. This leaves you without a subwoofer, but I recommend you to replace that with a modern one, either open-air 8" or a closed box in the boot. Add an amplifier, a thick wire from the battery plus the low-level from the head unit and you will enjoy much better base.
For the sub, check the "How to install an aftermarket subwoofer" on this site: http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/audio/. (The "How to install an aftermarket stereo" article doesn't apply to the 95, which I've been trying to decribe for you in this and my previous post.)

I went further an exchanged the original 4" speakers in the doors with new 6.5" speakers in all the four doors, but that is a major job and not what you've been asking for. I also added a new amplifier (4x75 watts instead of the original 4x20 (or so).) The sound is very good though. Check my previous posts in other threads to see what I mean.

In short, replacing the headunit isn't an easy task in any way, but it can be done. If you like the system as it is, just get a replacement CD-changer. Else be prepared for some time-consuming work.

//Björn
Old 11-30-09, 04:44 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

you guys could just buy a BeatSonic harness if you really wanted to keep the factory speakers AND sub

first gen iirc is SLA-10xxx
early 2nd gen is SLA20xxx (maybe 21/22 cant remember)

expensive, but the dash kits match PERFECTLY and the harness integration is plug and play.
Old 11-30-09, 05:09 AM
ryhi
Pole Position

i doubt he's going to do it himself if he's asking for a shop that can do it. like i said, he's best off buying everything online and taking it to an audio shop.
Old 11-30-09, 05:51 AM
mkaye
Rookie

i intend to get the Kenwood DNX-9140 and just splice the RCA outs for FL/FR/RL/RR/sub into the existing harness on my '96
i expect this to be the easiest way to get XM etc and keep the existing sub
anything i am missing?

mark
Old 11-30-09, 10:40 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by mkaye
i intend to get the Kenwood DNX-9140 and just splice the RCA outs for FL/FR/RL/RR/sub into the existing harness on my '96
i expect this to be the easiest way to get XM etc and keep the existing sub
anything i am missing?

mark
It wont work if you want to use the OEM sub since the sub is powered via the AMP, which doesnt have a separate sub input, only R/L + and -

i can only imagine that the amp acts as a signal/sound processor and crossover, filtering the frequencies fed to the sub and amplifying them, using a combination data/signal ground from the headunit.

here's a stereo wiring diagram for your '96 (also valid for '95 cars, not sure about the '97s though), though im not sure if its for nak or non-nak cars.

apparently the BeatSonic harnesses WILL keep the sub functioning...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
va137861.pdf (59.2 KB, 491 views)
Old 11-30-09, 12:05 PM
mkaye
Rookie

your're correct - no sub input from the radio
i guess i can tell it NONE for SUB & just send the Front & Rear L/R & let the amp do it's thing
or if i'm really ambitious, run more power to the radio and run new speaker wires to the amp location and use the equalizer in the 9140 to balance things out

mark
Old 11-30-09, 12:59 PM
GABE_LS400
Rookie

buy a boombox and wire the speakers from the boombox to the car speakers and it will have more bass. Plus you can wire the boombox cd player also and that will make your car more pimp and vip.
Old 11-30-09, 06:25 PM
kimanh
Rookie

since we on the car audio subject, is thier an aftermarket cd changer unit that will play mp3 cds while using the oem head unit?
Old 11-30-09, 11:42 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by kimanh
since we on the car audio subject, is thier an aftermarket cd changer unit that will play mp3 cds while using the oem head unit?
no .

Quick Reply: 1995 LEXUS LS 400 after market CD Deck question