LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Best replacement tire for LS400?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-02, 09:13 PM
seanl
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up Finally bought new tires....

After extensive research (thanks everyone), I decided to purchase a set of the new Bridgestone Turanza LS-Hs. I would have gone with the Turanza Revos, but the Revos have been discontinued and are replaced by the new LS series. Based on my driving habits, I really didn't need the V rating so I went with the H rating (130MPH).

I have had excellent experiences with Bridgestone Potenzas on my other cars and am confident they'll be a great tire on the Lex. I also took jahummer's advice and went with 1 size larger than stock 235/60/HR16.

In addition, I mounted them on fresh set of mint condition '99 LS400 "Coach Style" wheels (machined alum finish vs. paint). I'll post some new pics soon.

I haven't driven far yet, but I will post driving impressions in a few days.

Oh, btw, I paid $552 installed & out_the_door for the tires locally (that's about $27 more than buying from tire rack and having them mounted locally).

I'm going to sell my stock '97 Coach wheels on eBay unless someone on Club Lexus is interested.

Regards and thanks again everyone for your input.
Old 05-31-02, 11:24 PM
Likecars
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

selewis

I have been very pleased with my LS-V's. It seems on groved pavement I get a slight sway occasionally. Running 29psi will go to 32 this weekend.
Old 06-01-02, 12:45 AM
Pyrotech
Driver School Candidate

Default yokos

on my 95 i use yokohama avid v's. they're extremely quiet and handle great. i keep them at 30psi cold. thought about the turanzas but they were almost double the price. the avid v rated tire has to be one of the better tires for the price out there. i might get the turanzas next time i go in. depends on my cash flow that month...
Old 06-01-02, 06:47 AM
seanl
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Pyrotech,

The Yok Avid Vs were my second choice and I agree, they're more affordable and are also a good tire. But I've had some experience with Yoks, and based on some feedback on the tire rack I believe in general they don't last as long as Bridgestones.

I decided to spend the extra $150 on the new Turanzas in hopes of getting an additional 15k miles or so out of them.

I'm going to run the Turanzas at 32psi cold and see how it rides/sounds/handles.

Regards,

Last edited by seanl; 06-01-02 at 09:20 AM.
Old 06-01-02, 01:32 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Let me put my vote in for the Dunlop SP Sport 5000.. I just pursauded my uncle to put these tires on his 99 S-Class and he can't say enough nice things about the tires.. I guess if he is satisfied for his S-Class the LS should follow suit.. From what I read and from what others have told me in the GS & Wheels Forum here on CL the Dunlops have a decent price, good or better wear life, quiet ride & better than average handling..

From Dunlop's site I get the impression its the OE tire on the '01+ LS430.. Take a look..

http://www.dunloptire.com/products/t...=sp_sport_5000

Hope that helps!
Old 06-01-02, 06:50 PM
Pyrotech
Driver School Candidate

Default selewis

i agree that the yokos do not last that long. my main concern was price when i bought them. i knew that i would have to replace my air struts within the next 30000 miles when i got the tires. now, the front tires are slightly uneven compared to the backs. even with rotations at every oil change.

has anybody tried the new run flats? my mechanic said he could install the pressure monitoring system for me. but i dont wanna get the run flats if they're gonna ride rough and loud. but i definitely want the next set of tires to last. after i replace the front air struts and the tire rotation, i am hoping the backs will last another 10000 miles before they need replacement. but everyone who has tried the turanzas have raved about their quality. The "h" rated tire especially. but i too feel a V rated tire is better--both for safety and performance.
Old 06-01-02, 07:53 PM
seanl
Intermediate

but everyone who has tried the turanzas have raved about their quality. The "h" rated tire especially. but i too feel a V rated tire is better--both for safety and performance.
I don't have any hwy miles on the Turanzas yet, so I can't rave yet.

But I disagree with your statement about the V being safer than the H rating. How often do you drive your Lexus in excess of 130mph? The H tire is rated to 130mph, with the V to 149mph. I don't know about you, but I don't drive my LS at top speed very often

More important than the speed rating for our LS 400 (H vs V) is the Load Index. I believe the factory load index for my '97 LS400's OEM Bridgestone Turanza ER33s was 97 (load capacity of 1609lbs). And yes, the tire was V rated. The Turanza LS-Hs I'm running have a Load Index of 100 (1764lbs), so they are as safe as the factory tire.

Last edited by seanl; 06-01-02 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-01-02, 11:47 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by selewis

...But I disagree with your statement about the V being safer than the H rating. How often do you drive your Lexus in excess of 130mph? The H tire is rated to 130mph, with the V to 149mph. I don't know about you, but I don't drive my LS at top speed very often

More important than the speed rating for our LS 400 (H vs V) is the Load Index. I believe the factory load index for my '97 LS400's OEM Bridgestone Turanza ER33s was 97 (load capacity of 1609lbs). And yes, the tire was V rated. The Turanza LS-Hs I'm running have a Load Index of 100 (1764lbs), so they are as safe as the factory tire.
I believe that V rating is still safer than H rating for the reason that the V rating has a better ability to grip the road due to the softer/stickier rubber compound used in the tire. In fact, it is so good that it is rated to perform at a higher speed. When you have to brake real hard or do an emergency swerve, you need as much grip as you can get from the tires to keep control of the car and avoid hitting somebody. Having V rated tires will give you the extra margin of safety.

Yes, you may not drive at 130 everyday but when you're doing 55 and you slammed on the brakes and swerve to avoid hitting an object, you better have some grippy tires.
Old 06-02-02, 02:07 AM
Pyrotech
Driver School Candidate

Default tires

i'll put it to you this way: i'm 23...and i have a lead foot. i work almost 40 miles one way from home so that's 80 miles each day on my car. needless to say, i want to get there as quick as possible. if i'm running late then i'm gonna open the car up. i did not buy a hyundai here. i have had it up to 130 a few times. but do not let this information be conveyed in the wrong manner. i did not buy the car so that i could speed. only because i knew it could handle the speeds better. on my way home i usually hit 90 if not 100 for at least a few miles. one of the reasons i'm getting my air struts replaced now rather than waiting for them to be totally shot. the highway is my racing ground. i can't tell u how many peopl ehave pissed me off to the point where i pass them they pass me and then i open it up to leave em in the dust.

as for the tires being V vs H. i've heard that the H rating tire is better for ride quality. the V being a little worse and the Z kind of noisy. although i cannot speak from experience. but i have always considered the safety factor into my purchase. as was mentioned, i think the heavy braking and or gripping ability during fast maneuvers to of paramount importance to a car. that's why i have preferred the V rating. i think the load is 97 on the yoko avid V also. unless i get a sports car i doubt i'll ever get a higher rating than V.
Old 06-02-02, 07:04 AM
seanl
Intermediate

Yes, you may not drive at 130 everyday but when you're doing 55 and you slammed on the brakes and swerve to avoid hitting an object, you better have some grippy tires.
I agree 100%. The new Turanzas are indeed much softer in compound than I expected for a Grand Touring Tire. I also went with 235/60s, so I have an additional 40mm of rubber on the ground (w/ all 4 tires).

If cost were no object, I'd shell out $800+ for Michelins, as IMO they're about the best tires on the market. However, cost was a factor and Bridgestone *also* makes good tires, and I'm comfortable with my decision to go with the Turanza LS-Hs.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 06-05-02, 01:53 PM
jahummer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by selewis

I agree 100%. The new Turanzas are indeed much softer in compound than I expected for a Grand Touring Tire. I also went with 235/60s, so I have an additional 40mm of rubber on the ground (w/ all 4 tires).

If cost were no object, I'd shell out $800+ for Michelins, as IMO they're about the best tires on the market. However, cost was a factor and Bridgestone *also* makes good tires, and I'm comfortable with my decision to go with the Turanza LS-Hs.

Sean

Actually as much as I love Michelin products (have 'em on everything), the dunlop Sport the dealer had installed seemed to have better stopping power, but that could be because these are new tires (Energy MXV4 plus X green) and not yet broken in.

BTW I went with 235/60 and do notice the difference (improvement)
Old 06-23-02, 05:16 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Default Tires

I have Yokohama's on mine they are a soft tire and not to my liking will replace soon. the spare brand new unused is a Dunlop 1997 LS400
Old 07-08-02, 11:19 AM
vermont
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've tried Dunlop and did not like it very noisy. So, I replace it with Yokohama AVS db. exellent and very quiet.
Old 07-09-02, 09:31 AM
TRM04
Driver

Does anyone have any expeirence with any BF Goodrich tires? I might have a decent connection on them and want to know what's a good tire to use on my 97 LS400.

Thanks!
Old 07-09-02, 11:21 AM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by TRM04
Does anyone have any expeirence with any BF Goodrich tires? I might have a decent connection on them and want to know what's a good tire to use on my 97 LS400.

Thanks!
BF Goodrich are decent tires for the money, depends which ones you go with though.

http://autopedia.com/html/TireOpinion.html#Goodrich

http://compare.epinions.com/auto-Tir...ich_Radial_T_A

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/TireWheel/tirereviews.htm

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 07-09-02 at 11:27 AM.