LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

so its said...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-09, 07:44 PM
dsabc2867
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question so its said...

so its been told to me that if i flush the transmission and change the fluid in it that the possibilty of the transmission breaking is very good. one guy has even said that the transmission will go into "shock". this guy made it sound like my car has a central nervous system. but im no mechanic and i really dont know anything about this stuff. so can so someone tell me if this true. and one more thing. has anyone ever installed a rebuilt torque converter from lextreme? thank you guys for any information that you might provide.
Old 11-18-09, 08:56 PM
valex
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

What many members do is drain whatever comes out - approx.2 qts (I have a 1999 LS) and refill with the same amount of new Toyota IV ATF every oil change. This way you keep your fluid clean without dropping the pan. A Toyota tech and some members here said that opening transmission could creat problems and you could do more harm than good. I don`t know how true all that is, but I just followed the advice and have been doing drain/refill 2 qts.
Old 11-18-09, 09:18 PM
AceVA
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a difference between doing a flush and fluid exchange. With a FLUSH and a high mileage transmission that has not been cared for, there is a chance that contaminants could be dislodged and cause the transmission to fail.

A fluid exchange (this does not add any pressure and simply passes the old fluid through a unit and new fluid is put in its place) is safe and the only way to get all fluid out.

Ask the facility what type of equipment they use.
Old 11-18-09, 09:50 PM
thebeeguy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AceVA
There's a difference between doing a flush and fluid exchange. With a FLUSH and a high mileage transmission that has not been cared for, there is a chance that contaminants could be dislodged and cause the transmission to fail.

A fluid exchange (this does not add any pressure and simply passes the old fluid through a unit and new fluid is put in its place) is safe and the only way to get all fluid out.

Ask the facility what type of equipment they use.
Great advice.

At my shop we've been using a Wynn's fluid exchanger for years and have never had a problem.

I HATE when people tell you not to change your fluid because it might damage the transmission. Well if you DON'T change the fluid when its dirty/burnt/old, guess what, it'll damage your transmission too. (this is not directed at you AceVA, I'm saying in general)

If your fluid is dirty, change it. If your fluid is due by mileage, change it. If you want more insurance, hell, drop the pan and change the filter, it's not going to hurt. Chances are if your car is old, your transmission pan gasket will be leaking and need to be replaced anyways, the filter kits come with a new gasket.

Just be sure you use the correct fluid type and you'll be fine... And yes, don't "power flush" it, do a fluid exchange. Some places have a nasty habit of just doing a "drain and fill" where they just drain the trans, put the plug back on, fill it up and send you on your way. That only empties out a fraction of the fluid thats in your transmission. IF they HAVE to do a "drain and fill", they should at least do it over and over again until they get most of the dirty fluid out... But if that's the case, find a shop with an exchange machine, it'll just give you more peace of mind.

Last edited by thebeeguy; 11-18-09 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-19-09, 04:47 AM
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dsabc2867
..... has anyone ever installed a rebuilt torque converter from lextreme?
I am curious as well.
Old 12-09-09, 02:54 PM
dsabc2867
Rookie

i take it that no one has bought and installed a rebiult torque converter from lextreme. I was just wondering what kinda personal experiances anyone may have had with this product. thanks for any advice that you might provide.
Old 12-09-09, 03:22 PM
vaughn37
Pole Position

i take it that no one has bought and installed a rebiult torque converter from lextreme. I was just wondering what kinda personal experiances anyone may have had with this product. thanks for any advice that you might provide.
i found this place..they have transmissions and converters

http://www.levelten.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=a340
Old 12-09-09, 05:26 PM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

I have had other purchase experience with Lextreme, and found it satisfactory.
Colin
Old 12-09-09, 05:56 PM
dsabc2867
Rookie

what have you purchased from lextreme