LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

93 LS400 - advice appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-09, 11:09 AM
thermal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 LS400 - advice appreciated

Hi everyone,

I tried doing a search but nothing came up; my apologies if this has been covered before.

It seems a bearing in my a/c is shot. The dealership suggests a new a/c clutch; parts and labor come to $1350. They unofficially suggested aftermarket work could just replace the bearing, which would greatly reduce costs. Right now, there's a constant whine sound from the engine compartment.

a) Is this a critical repair? I live in Canada and won't be using a/c for at least six months.
b) Any suggestions on aftermarket repairs?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 12-08-09, 11:24 AM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thermal
Hi everyone,

I I live in Canada and won't be using a/c for at least six months.

If not mistaken, I believe the A/C comes on with defrost mode. So, you might still be needing it in the winter. It dehumidifies the air.
Old 12-08-09, 11:30 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

like randal said, when u use defrost the AC kicks in. AC compressors can most likely be found on eBay.
Old 12-08-09, 05:24 PM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Hi everyone,

I tried doing a search but nothing came up; my apologies if this has been covered before.

It seems a bearing in my a/c is shot. The dealership suggests a new a/c clutch; parts and labor come to $1350. They unofficially suggested aftermarket work could just replace the bearing, which would greatly reduce costs. Right now, there's a constant whine sound from the engine compartment.

a) Is this a critical repair? I live in Canada and won't be using a/c for at least six months.
b) Any suggestions on aftermarket repairs?

I think, from the sound of the above, that your A/C compressor is perfectly fine, but the bearing for the A/C pulley is what is bad.

An A/C clutch is available for far less than the quote you were given. So I am confused about the options that were actually given you.

IF IT IS THE CLUTCH BEARING: You will have noise any time the engine is running. It is just a lowly little ball bearing pressed in the pulley and you can get it replaced for cheap, BUT IT NEEDS TO BE DONE because your accesory belt needs it work.

IF IT IS THE A/C COMPRESSOR: a bad bearing in here will only be apparent when you turn on the A/C. Pull the A/C relay, and you can let the climate control system do all of its automatic functions without making anything worse through the winter.

Colin

You could yank that sucker off and have a bearing pressed in for less than $110.00 CDN if you can find someone willing to work with you.
Old 12-08-09, 09:14 PM
thermal
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Amskeptic
I think, from the sound of the above, that your A/C compressor is perfectly fine, but the bearing for the A/C pulley is what is bad.

An A/C clutch is available for far less than the quote you were given. So I am confused about the options that were actually given you.

IF IT IS THE CLUTCH BEARING: You will have noise any time the engine is running. It is just a lowly little ball bearing pressed in the pulley and you can get it replaced for cheap, BUT IT NEEDS TO BE DONE because your accesory belt needs it work.

IF IT IS THE A/C COMPRESSOR: a bad bearing in here will only be apparent when you turn on the A/C. Pull the A/C relay, and you can let the climate control system do all of its automatic functions without making anything worse through the winter.

Colin

You could yank that sucker off and have a bearing pressed in for less than $110.00 CDN if you can find someone willing to work with you.
Thank you so much Colin! I'm 99% sure it's a clutch bearing - the noise is there as soon as I turn the engine on.
Old 12-09-09, 07:23 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You really searched?
I recently posted a link to a brand new Denso 10PA20C compressor for a very low price.
Unless you have a very low mileage vehicle it is foolhardy to pay all the labor & put in the old compressor with a new clutch, imo.

Your parts & labor cost currently are too damn high!! Not to mention that you sound as if you do not want to do this twice!!

Denso 471-1219

Last edited by damon; 12-09-09 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-09-09, 07:35 PM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Originally Posted by damon
You really searched?
I recently posted a link to a brand new Denso 10PA20C compressor for a very low price.
Unless you have a very low mileage vehicle it is foolhardy to pay all the labor & put in the old compressor with a new clutch, imo.

Your parts & labor cost currently are too damn high!! Not to mention that you sound as if you do not want to do this twice!!

Denso 471-1219
It is one of those things . . . He could grab a 12mm socket and ratchet, bunt the magnetic hub retainer bolt loose, remove the washers, compress and pull the circlip and pull the pulley/bearing assembly off, and he is good to go off and find someone willing to press on a new bearing. Only trick is to set the distance between the magnetic clutch and the pulley to .020" by removing or installing the washers mentioned above. That's it.

Or he could get a new compre$$or installed at a shop that didn't quite vacuum the system down to 29 microns for the specified period of time, didn't quite replace the receiver drier, didn't quite charge it with the correct quantity of R134 or the correct viscosity and quantity of PAG 40 oil (I find overcharges alllllll the time), and damn if the o-ring ain't leaking now at the (fill in the connection of your choice), oh yeah, and they bolloxed the locked rotor sensor when installing it.
Colin
(sometimes it really is better to do "laproscopic" surgery on your car instead of big sloppy open heart surgery, even if there is a "special" this week only, two coronary arteries for the price of three! )
Old 12-09-09, 10:49 PM
thermal
Driver School Candidate

Well,

I've found clutches for around $195, and the entire compressor for about $375.

What would you guys recommend? Is this a job I can do at home, with moderate tools and mechanical inclination? Do I need to purchase the whole compressor, or is just the clutch ok? Or can I take it to an import shop and just get the bearing replaced?

Thank you again for your advice.
Old 12-09-09, 10:50 PM
thermal
Driver School Candidate

My 1993 ls400 has 178xxx miles.
Old 12-10-09, 10:03 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

They are at $329.00 (new Denso) from a source on ebay. search the part # I provided.

Amskeptic clearly knows much more than I concerning the AC system & has excellent points but if I were keeping the car long term I know what I would do.
Old 12-11-09, 12:11 AM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Well,

I've found clutches for around $195, and the entire compressor for about $375.

What would you guys recommend? Is this a job I can do at home, with moderate tools and mechanical inclination? Do I need to purchase the whole compressor, or is just the clutch ok? Or can I take it to an import shop and just get the bearing replaced?

Thank you again for your advice.
I'd do the bearing replacement option IF I could be informed of the bearing required and the tools required to press it out. A machine shop environment could do a very clean replacement, but you'd have to supply the new bearing.

I do not know your native intelligence or coordination with snap-ring pliers. I can't touch that one. But honestly, I find it almost simple to remove the pulley and pressure plate. The factory torque on the bolt is 10 ft/lbs. You can hold the pressure plate with a leather belt or a clothes line wrapped tight with a screwdriver like a tourniquet and pop the bolt loose. You do need a snapring plier with needle nose capability to fit in there and loosen the circlip that holds the bearing on the stationary tube on the front of the compressor. You can use two small bladed screwdrivers too, if you are coordinated. The pressure plate pulls off the drive shaft of the compressor. It is driven by splines. Mine was nice and literally slid off with my fingers. The FSM warns that you need a SST puller. They say you need another SST to pull the pulley/bearing (hitherto referred to as "rotor" off. I just pulled it off.

I shoulda/woulda/coulda taken the bearing # and given it to you, but . . . . . . I did not know.
Colin
Old 12-11-09, 06:53 PM
thermal
Driver School Candidate

First of all, thank you Amskeptic and damon for your guidance.

I ordered a Denso a/c compressor + new drier off ebay today. Came to about $325 including shipping - should be here in about a week.

My dad is a recently retired Ford mechanic - we have extensive tools at our disposal. So two more questions:

a) Is this an installation I can do at home? I would very much prefer to do the work myself if realistically possible (with help from my dad).

b) Should my car be ok to drive for the next week until the compressor arrives? I'm looking at about 5 hours driving in total.
Old 12-11-09, 07:00 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

u should be ok, this is a job that u can do on ur back on the floor.
Old 12-11-09, 07:25 PM
thermal
Driver School Candidate

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thermal/4177361427/

Does anyone have insight into a "Coolant Reservoir/Sens" for an LS400, and does a P/S hose really need to cost $245?

Thank you again.
Old 12-11-09, 07:45 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

the coolant sensor is under this rubber cap

yes the power steering hose is that expensive...as it is high pressure.

Quick Reply: 93 LS400 - advice appreciated