LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

FREE Limited Slip Differential "LSD" mod

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-11, 04:27 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

2000 Lexus LS400 service manual differential carrier components
Attached Files
Old 01-04-13, 12:54 AM
nismo4life
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bumping this.

So if I understood 3UZ's post correctly, the housings themselves aren't a direct bolt in swap into the early LS's, but the physical differential's are? Pop the casing open, swap in an OEM LSD, seal it up and I'm good to go?

So since the mentioned OEM Lexus pumpkins didn't come with OEM LSD's, is my only option a MKIV TT auto or a very late model TT 6spd? Is there anything else from the Japanese market that the guts can swap into besides the 98+ Aristo and Soarer that he mentioned? Maybe the Chaser?
Old 01-04-13, 01:04 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by nismo4life
Bumping this.

So if I understood 3UZ's post correctly, the housings themselves aren't a direct bolt in swap into the early LS's, but the physical differential's are? Pop the casing open, swap in an OEM LSD, seal it up and I'm good to go?

So since the mentioned OEM Lexus pumpkins didn't come with OEM LSD's, is my only option a MKIV TT auto or a very late model TT 6spd? Is there anything else from the Japanese market that the guts can swap into besides the 98+ Aristo and Soarer that he mentioned? Maybe the Chaser?
mkiv supra 6spd diff won't work at all*, ring gear is a different size. has to be NA or turbo auto.
(* excludes non USDM model Supra MKIV)

pretty much only options are either an OEM diff as described above or an aftermarket LSD made for non-6spd supra/2GS/1-2SC diffs.

Last edited by PureDrifter; 01-04-13 at 01:08 AM.
Old 01-04-13, 10:13 AM
sleepywgn
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Im scared to do a burn out in my ride i feel like something gonna break or my studs will snap from with wide *** wheels. But i do love seeing youtube videos of people drifting LS and man i want to do it sooo bad!
Old 01-04-13, 10:15 AM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've done a short burn out. Just remember to turn off traction control lol.
Old 01-04-13, 11:37 AM
nismo4life
Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
mkiv supra 6spd diff won't work at all*, ring gear is a different size. has to be NA or turbo auto.

pretty much only options are either an OEM diff as described above or an aftermarket LSD made for non-6spd supra/2GS/1-2SC diffs.
Ok. Anything affordable that you can think of? Did MKIV TT Auto's come with stock LSD's?
Old 01-04-13, 01:49 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by sleepywgn
Im scared to do a burn out in my ride i feel like something gonna break or my studs will snap from with wide *** wheels. But i do love seeing youtube videos of people drifting LS and man i want to do it sooo bad!
Pshh, I took mine drag racing at the pursuit a couple years back, destroyed a pair of 20's my first year by doing it on my Mayas lol. No problems other than being slow as beans because the 20s are so heavy and wrecking the tires lol.

Ok. Anything affordable that you can think of? Did MKIV TT Auto's come with stock LSD's?
nothing affordable, some did but they were torsens.
Old 09-24-13, 10:17 AM
nismo4life
Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter

Would MK3 Supra's potentially fit? The guy who welded my diff essentially ****ed it up, it shakes violently on the highway. He overkilled it with the welder so now I need to get another and weld it by someone who actually knows what they're doing, or an LSD. Any idea how much MKIV Supra's LSD's go for? Can't seem to find any.
Old 09-24-13, 01:54 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Would MK3 Supra's potentially fit? The guy who welded my diff essentially ****ed it up, it shakes violently on the highway. He overkilled it with the welder so now I need to get another and weld it by someone who actually knows what they're doing, or an LSD. Any idea how much MKIV Supra's LSD's go for? Can't seem to find any.
no, mk3 supra is totally different and more comparable to a 1IS rear diff.

going rate for the internals is around 6-800, full diff about a grand.
Old 09-25-13, 09:59 AM
MomLuva
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weld the diff, solve your problems
Old 12-26-20, 11:05 AM
99Slicktop
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SRV1
That does not make any sense when it comes to an open diff. I have rebuilt LSD's before so I know all about them. Doing a brake stand on dry pavement with an open diff will always burn one tire with the least amount of traction from what I personally have encountered. I have had many RWD vehicles with open diffs and I have never been able to burn both tires on drive pavement doing a brake stand. Even in my Toyota truck with an open diff so something must be going on in the back of these Lexus's. Heck my 89 non-turbo Supra would only do a one wheel peel doing a brake stand and basically it is roughly the same diff as the one in our cars. Does anyone have any picture of the cover removed? Very curious about this.

Pictures? LOL! The 2UZ hasn't even started in the 93, the 22RE is still in it! The SAS is still on jackstands in my garage and the 4Runner is my daily driver which I do have pics of that! I need to get my butt in gear!

James
my stock 99 majority of the time destroys both tires. It will spin both tires 1st-2nd gear easy.