LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Antenna and acc wire to stereo not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-09, 06:23 AM
edtbjon
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Antenna and acc wire to stereo not working

First, I got a 95' Ls400 (usf20), where the audio system differs quite a lot from the ufs10 audio systems. Cable colors etc are different. I had a lot of help from the 1996 Lexus LS400 Stereo Install - Wiring Info + Diagrams thread, where there are pdf wiring diagrams linked.
I'm in the final stages of installing new door speakers (check), amplifiers (check), closed box subwoofer (check) and head unit (well... almost check).

Now, I've searched this and the general audio ... subforum and cannot really find any one shot solution to how to get the antenna working. There are three wires, AntA, AntB and Ant+. Some say that "activating" only Ant+ will be enough, while others say that two or even all three wires should be connected to the blue/white wire (antenna activation wire) from my head unit. I do wonder if someone has got some sensible info on the subject.
There is of course a possibility that I've short circuited something in the process of cutting and splicing wires. If you read the next paragraph below there are more indicators pointing toward some kind of short circuit. If so, is there a hint about which fuse(s) to check?

Second, the ACC wire (grey wire which gives 12V when the key is in radio and/or ignition position doesn't work any more. It did work before when I first got the wires spliced, but once I had the wires tucked in behind the head unit and had got everything fixed, blackness and silence ruled. I checked all the fuses under the hood before finding the fuse box "just above my left foot". The "Radio2 fuse", the only 7.5A fuse in there was working, which makes me feel quite puzzled.

I know, this is probably quite simple, but jeezez, there are quite a lot of wires around.

Finally, I've described the speaker installment in another thread, where I'll also post some final pictures/solutions when I've sorted these current issues. But in short, the new system (Alpine CDA105RI, with a 4x75W RMS amp for the door speakers and a DLS CA12 220W RMS amp for the subwoofer, DLS 6.5" component speakers in the front doors, DLS 6.5" coax speakers with the tweeters disconnected in the rear doors and a sealed 21 litre box with a Rockford Fosg. 12" shallow sub.) sounds really good. I do miss the radio though as it's nice to get get traffic reports once I approach the bigger cities. (Apart from that the collected works of Frank Zappa will fit on a 8GB USB stick. )

//Björn

Last edited by edtbjon; 10-07-09 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-07-09, 12:34 PM
edtbjon
Pit Crew

Anyone with some kind of ideas??

//Björn
Old 10-09-09, 10:26 AM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

for antenna use the BLACK/RED from car

the ACC wire from car use WHITE
Old 10-10-09, 01:15 AM
edtbjon
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Lexkost
for antenna use the BLACK/RED from car

the ACC wire from car use WHITE
Thank you. I'm getting a bit frustrated with this, so any input is good input at this stage. I recon that in the end this will be a good learning experience.
Yes, the black/red is the "Ant+" wire, so that makes sense, but the white wire is a negative wire routed to the amplifier (named "AP-").
Before I started splicing the wires, I got 0 from the grey wire with the key out or unturned. When it was in ACC or ignition, I got 12V+. Also according to the diagrams, the ACC is supposed to be that gray wire.

As both these wires doesn't work, I recon I've blown a fuse. But I've checked both the radio fuses (one 20A in the engine compartment (named Radio-one and used for the amplifier(s) and a 7.5A (for the old head-unit) just by the parking brake pedal). Is there possibly another one?

//Björn

Last edited by edtbjon; 10-10-09 at 01:18 AM.