LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Leaking high pressure power steering line? Updates and pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-09, 09:57 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Leaking high pressure power steering line? Updates and pics

UPDATE! Just wanted to update here..... idle-up has been plugged... all smoking is gone! The leak was from the return hose... its been replaced and no leaks! Hope this takes care of things for awhile.

Thanks for everything!

--------------------------------
If you have been following the smoke on startup thread, you know I had a major issue with my idle-up valve. Got that plugged and hoses bypassed... all is well in that area, but still have a major power steering leak.....

Here are the photos taken tonight. The idle-up valve area is not leaking that we plugged. I am wondering if its coming from the line that I have circled in yellow? Is that the high pressure line? Is that a pain to replace and costly?

Name:  026.jpg
Views: 29135
Size:  65.3 KB

Name:  011-1.jpg
Views: 8797
Size:  50.9 KB

PS fluid seems to be pooled in here now, but my dad said he thinks he spilled fluid there... ??????
Name:  016-3.jpg
Views: 6402
Size:  61.0 KB

the plugged idle-up valve...
Name:  025.jpg
Views: 4762
Size:  43.3 KB

fluid dont appear to have leaked into the alternator...
Name:  029.jpg
Views: 7284
Size:  66.2 KB

OH BOY! Still leaking like a sieve!
Name:  039.jpg
Views: 4611
Size:  60.4 KB

Re-routed hose....
Name:  036-3.jpg
Views: 4817
Size:  66.6 KB

Thanks for any additional advice....

Last edited by 91LS400LEX; 10-01-09 at 10:13 PM. Reason: updated
Old 09-29-09, 06:48 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

That is some nasty mess....

If you need a new high pressure hose, you will not find it cheaper than this

http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/par...id=63080&all=Y

Also, use discount code CL911M to get an additional 10% off.

You could probably find an after market hose cheaper, but I would stay with OEM.
Old 09-29-09, 04:53 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

$230 for a friggin' hose?

I was not planning on spending that much money on this PS issue. I thought by plugging the valve that would save me from alot of money, but obviously not. I cant afford this. I am selling the car at a major loss. This is the last Lexus I will ever own. They are just not practical unless someone is a doctor or attorney that can afford $$$$ parts.

fwiw, I found a new aftermarket hose for $78. Even that is more than I really wanted to shell out considering everything else I need. I really regret I bought this car.

Thanks for all of the replies.

Here is the one at autozone... which one do I need? I dont care if its a good hose.... if I am selling it anyway.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...&parentId=46-0

Last edited by 91LS400LEX; 09-29-09 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-29-09, 05:28 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

wow overreacting much?

you can get any hydraulic hose shop to make you a new hose for cheap, and it'll be pretty good quality as well. just take them your old hose.
Old 09-29-09, 05:58 PM
VIP92Ls400
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Expensive car

This seems to be typical of a lot of people I see with luxury cars. I work on bmws and it's the same. 220 for a power steering line on a top of the line flagship car is nothing!!!! These cars cost almost 40,000 in 1990-94!!! It's just part of owning a nice car. If u want a cheap car to fix, buy a Honda. And ls400s are some of the most reliable cars around, especially for a v8 luxery sedan. Try owning a BMW 740, talk about expensive and they fall apart after after 100k. Ls 400 just starts to stretch it's legs at 100k. Moral of the story, if u want to ride big, be prepared to pay big
The following users liked this post:
Dinocards (04-30-20)
Old 09-29-09, 08:05 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
wow overreacting much?

you can get any hydraulic hose shop to make you a new hose for cheap, and it'll be pretty good quality as well. just take them your old hose.
lol. I probably am. Over on the other Lexus site where I have been a member for 7 years, some guy said I was getting on his nerves because I have not had time to clean up where the leak is to see exactly where its coming from. Thats the first time in 7 years I ever got on someones nerves.

You know I never thought about having a hose made at a shop. My grandpa had that done on a 1973 Dodge motorhome he had on the steering sector.

Thanks Drift, thats an option for sure!

Originally Posted by VIP92Ls400
This seems to be typical of a lot of people I see with luxury cars.
I hear it alot too. I have owned alot of different luxury cars over the years. Its just this has became one of the most troublesome ones I have ever owned. Even more costly and troublesome than any of the 1980s Mercedes I have owned.

Yeah, they are reliable cars, the engines/transmissions are awesome, but the power steering steering systems suck to say the least. If they cant at least recall them, they should at least offer the parts at reasonable prices. $345. for a single hose from the dealer.

The rich get richer I guess.

Last edited by 91LS400LEX; 09-29-09 at 08:08 PM.
Old 09-29-09, 08:46 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Well you cant expect a car to last forever, and it was an expensive car to begin with, so you should've anticipated the cost of parts when you bought it.

First of all, the hose that you are getting is not just a piece of rubber hose, its all the metal tubing with all the fittings. If you found an aftermarket one for $78, just get that, but make sure its the right one. I personally think $200 is very reasonable for the OEM part, and this is what I bought when I had the problem with my hose.

But yeah, if you cant afford parts, get a cheaper car to maintain. Mid 90ies Civic/Corolla are good options.
Old 09-29-09, 08:57 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Nothing lasts forever, thats for sure.... some things last longer than others though.

I have owned other Lexus in the past, but never had this type of problem... never dreamed a hose would be this $ for the OEM one. My dad said he knows a local company that makes high pressure hoses (customized to what you need) as Drifter mentioned, so I may do that.

Its not so much I cant afford the parts as much as I think its crazy to pay those prices.

... I am not a "small car" person. I would go an Accord or Camry before a Civic or Corolla. I have had several 80s and 90s Accords and Camrys and while those were less problematic than this LS400, parts were also much cheaper when a couple of problems did crop up, but they were minor.

... either that or just change my Mercedes to be my daily driver... I have not had near the issues with it and parts are a heck of a lot cheaper... at least for the model I have.

**Well, I will clean up the area, see where its leaking and if its the hose, which I think it is, I will get that cheaper hose or have one custom made at the machine shop and go from there.

I have owned about 55 different cars in my lifetime and I will tell you, this one issue with this one car has been the worst I have ever had to deal with as far as confusion, delay and frustration. After this is repaired, I should be good to go.

I hope.

Originally Posted by Och
Well you cant expect a car to last forever, and it was an expensive car to begin with, so you should've anticipated the cost of parts when you bought it.

First of all, the hose that you are getting is not just a piece of rubber hose, its all the metal tubing with all the fittings. If you found an aftermarket one for $78, just get that, but make sure its the right one. I personally think $200 is very reasonable for the OEM part, and this is what I bought when I had the problem with my hose.

But yeah, if you cant afford parts, get a cheaper car to maintain. Mid 90ies Civic/Corolla are good options.
Old 09-29-09, 09:41 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

I dont really see what the confusion is all about... leaking PS is a fairly straight forward problem?
Old 09-29-09, 10:30 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
I dont really see what the confusion is all about... leaking PS is a fairly straight forward problem?
Confusion on how I was originally told it was probably the idle-up valve leaking out fluid... then the confusion and different stories on how to change it (I was told I had to remove hoses, belts, pulleys, etc) but that was not the case.... then the leak continued and still not knowing exactly where its coming from until I get it cleaned up, etc.....

Sure has been confusing to me, but I am not all that bright when it comes to cars and not the expert like some here are. Some share their expertise, but its sometimes confusion with chopped up and vague data.
Old 09-29-09, 11:44 PM
S30ZG
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the same boat and and am currently in the process of replacing the same line thats leaking. I was going through a full reservoir of fluid within an hour of driving the car normally. After looking at what a hose would cost new I too was kinda taken back by the price since I'm used to buying stuff for my old Z. Luckily there was a guy parting out a ls400 of the same year about an hour away from me so I was able to get a used hose for about 35 bucks. The install isn't too bad but I'm unable to complete it until my friend who is a lexus tech comes over with his tools again.
Old 09-30-09, 05:30 AM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Thanks. Do you know what tools are required?
Old 09-30-09, 12:46 PM
S30ZG
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just average tool set with some sockets and wrenches should do the job. The main size that we were using was a 10mm, 17mm and a 24mm I believe.
Old 09-30-09, 01:37 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

small hands will help a lot as well...
Old 09-30-09, 04:57 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Thanks guys for that info!

I FINALLY got it (leaking fluid) cleaned up this evening the best I could. I had to be careful not to dampen the alternator. Using rags was impossible... this mess was too bad, so I had to use "awesome orange" cleaner and when cleaning the upper part in the engine area, I took the nozzle off of the water hose and let it softly stream down to rinse it off, without wetting the alternator and I covered the side of it the best I could with a plastic bag. I then soaked down the underside, then blasted it with the nozzle on it.

I refilled the reservior, started the car and let it run for about 15 minutes to dry the water up some and then I shut it off. (BTW, ALL of the smoking went away when I start it) I need to let it set for awhile to see if I can see leaks, but I took a look shortly after and I didnt see any drips under the car, but I did see what appeared to be fresh fluid already looming around the front part of the frame area, directly below the abs brake/air filter housing area. I cant be sure. I am going to let it set for about 3 or 4 hours, go out and check again and snap more photos.

Quick Reply: Leaking high pressure power steering line? Updates and pics