LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

AC relocation and Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-09, 02:58 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default AC relocation and Stereo

This is just the start of my new project, I am waiting on my other parts to show up so this is where I am at now...............more to come!
Attached Thumbnails AC relocation and Stereo-ac-radio-002.jpg  
Old 09-12-09, 05:08 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

finally started on it ehh mike, can't wait to see the final product
Old 09-12-09, 06:28 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Wow, this is exactly what I've been thinking about the past few days! I've even been doing some measuring. I can't see trying to get my Nakamichi fixed if it fails again -- it would probably have to be a costly dealer exchange -- and even this old guy would like to have a decent iPod interface.

I've seen photos of the HVAC controls of a 95-00 LS relocated below an aftermarket head unit like in your project but I always wondered about the details:

1) How much effort/force is necessary to spread the lower part of the center stack structure to allow for the HVAC controls which are wider than the OEM head unit. How well does it fit in the lower position.

2) Is it necessary to fabricate a faceplate surround for a double-DIN headunit to eliminate/reduce the gaps on the sides or can a commercially available double-DIN surrround be used.

3) Can the headunit/face plate and relocated HVAC control be attached to available aftermarket mounting brackets or is it necessary to fabricate mounting brackets.

4) If you are going to use an aftermarket CD changer, where will it fit ... is it possible to fit it where the OEM CD changer is installed?

Good luck with this project! Thanks!
Old 09-12-09, 08:32 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kansas
Wow, this is exactly what I've been thinking about the past few days! I've even been doing some measuring. I can't see trying to get my Nakamichi fixed if it fails again -- it would probably have to be a costly dealer exchange -- and even this old guy would like to have a decent iPod interface.

I've seen photos of the HVAC controls of a 95-00 LS relocated below an aftermarket head unit like in your project but I always wondered about the details:

1) How much effort/force is necessary to spread the lower part of the center stack structure to allow for the HVAC controls which are wider than the OEM head unit. How well does it fit in the lower position.

2) Is it necessary to fabricate a faceplate surround for a double-DIN headunit to eliminate/reduce the gaps on the sides or can a commercially available double-DIN surrround be used.

3) Can the headunit/face plate and relocated HVAC control be attached to available aftermarket mounting brackets or is it necessary to fabricate mounting brackets.

4) If you are going to use an aftermarket CD changer, where will it fit ... is it possible to fit it where the OEM CD changer is installed?

Good luck with this project! Thanks!

1) HVAC control face must trim off edges.

2 ) Used aftermarket double-DIN kit ,and there is side gap, which will be covered up my my wood trim.

3 ) I used both aftermarket mounting brackets from din kit and cut up the origial metal brackets.

4 ) I am not putting in a changer ( I Pod ) but one will fit in glove box.
Old 09-19-09, 01:18 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Here's a pic of the complete job:
Attached Thumbnails AC relocation and Stereo-stereo-wood-001.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
PHamaker (07-21-22)
Old 09-19-09, 01:31 PM
edtbjon
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice job indeed. i just hope that the artifact on the left of the Pioneed DVD is just a reflection and not the laquer letting off the wood.
Now, where did you find the very nice, original looking wood trimmings for both the aftermarket double din stereo and the original AC.
To paraphrase your sig. "LS 400 not all stock...".

//Björn

Last edited by edtbjon; 09-20-09 at 02:46 AM. Reason: spelling etc...
Old 09-19-09, 01:37 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by edtbjon
Very nice job indeed. i just hope that the artifact on the left of the Pioneed DVD is just a reflex and not the laquer letting off the wood.
Now, where did you find the very nice, original looking wood trimmings for both the aftermarket double din stereo and the orignal AC.
To paraphrase your sig. "LS 400 not all stock...".

//Björn
Just a reflection from the flash.
Attached Thumbnails AC relocation and Stereo-stereo-wood-002.jpg  
Old 09-19-09, 02:43 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Wow, very nice!

Did you happen to take photos of how the assembly looked attached to the brackets before you bolted it into the center stack?

I'm also curious about the HVAC controls being tilted upward. Were there clearance issues that prevented the bottom of the HVAC control unit to squeeze between the lower frame of the center stack?

I'm also curious about the wood kit. Were there pieces in the kit to go on either size of the double-DIN screen or did you have to fabricate the two pieces?

Not that it would help me with coping with the Nak in my 00 LS, but were you able to use an adapter harness or have to splice wires. What did you do about the amp and were you able to get the sub to work?

Great work!
Old 09-19-09, 05:09 PM
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow! Great job! I've been wanting to do this since I bought my car. I was considering it a winter project.

Where did you get the wood trim from?
Old 09-21-09, 12:24 PM
97CE LS400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very clean job....looks factory!!
Old 01-07-10, 09:27 AM
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnitz
Wow! Great job! I've been wanting to do this since I bought my car. I was considering it a winter project.

Where did you get the wood trim from?
I'm doing an install like this next week. Can you point me in the direction to get the wood trim?
Old 01-07-10, 11:12 AM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HAHA, I was expecting the AC to be in the arm rest and the stereo was in the glove box, Boy was I off... That looks sweeeeeeet, and OEM too.
Old 01-07-10, 01:30 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

you're thinking of Big Steve's car. he's got the remote AC setup.
Old 01-07-10, 06:26 PM
toxictv
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed, where can I find this wood trim? o.o
Old 11-25-10, 12:48 PM
DvSiR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is this just a preference thing, or does it make a difference? mounting the a/c underneath?

Quick Reply: AC relocation and Stereo