LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

*rant* Power Steering/Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-09, 03:39 AM
Max Power

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *rant* Power Steering/Alternator

First off I'd like to say that it's awesome that the power steering pump is right above the alternator. Well done.

Second, I bought this car last week, noticed smoke on startup. Go to shop, have the guy bypass the ICV and plug it. He doesn't do it right and the next day all power steering fluid dumps right out of the reservoir. Sweeeeet.

They fix it finally and today I notice that the lights go a little dimmer when idling. It's really not bad but man....so annoying.

I have to drive 14 hours total this weekend, you guys think I'm gonna make it?
Old 09-01-09, 05:42 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

i think the guy who didnt plug the ICV properly owes you a new alternator...
Old 09-01-09, 07:00 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

14 hours on a now weakened alternator. I wouldn't do it.
Old 09-01-09, 11:40 PM
Max Power

Yeah me neither. I'm buying one today.

This sucks.
Old 09-02-09, 06:34 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

I went through at least five new or rebuilt power steering pumps during the 13 1/2 and 183,000 miles I drove a 90 LS. After the original alternator had to be replaced due to a leaking power steering pump, I checked the power steering pump very frequently and had it replaced at the first sign of a leak.

I sold the 90 LS in 2003 shortly after I started to use Lexus forums. One of the best ideas I found on Lexus forums was to fashion an protective alternator guard from a rigid plastic bottle -- I think the bottle of choice was a Clorox bleach bottle.

Here is a photo I "stole" from another forum. If I still had a gen 1 LS400, I'd be using an alternator guard like this.

BTW, I was about 150 miles away from home and the nearest Lexus dealer when I noticed the alternator had failed. I charged the battery to the max and headed for the Lexus dealer thinking I had a good chance of making the 150 miles on the battery alone. I turned off everything electrical including the HVAC and radio but I still didn't make it. The battery was exhausted and the engine died when I was about five miles from the dealership. I was lucky to be right at a downhill exit ramp which I coasted down and then into a gas station parking lot. I always keep my favorite tow trunk operators on speed dial!
Attached Thumbnails *rant* Power Steering/Alternator-ls400-alternator-with-guard.jpg  

Last edited by Kansas; 09-02-09 at 06:44 AM.
Old 09-02-09, 05:52 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the concept, but any concerns with heat dissipating when using something like that? I know that some cars actually have alternator cooling hoses that attach to the rear of the alternators when they have a partially closed design.
Attached Thumbnails *rant* Power Steering/Alternator-bmw-alternator-pic.jpg  
Old 09-03-09, 12:07 AM
Max Power

Wow, I'm surprised you made it so far on the battery alone. That's nuts.

I'm also not certain about the alternator guard thing. Why not just change the power steering pump while you're at it so that it won't leak?

I'm mad because the garage didn't seal the icv properly, causing the it to leak onto the alternator. Dumbass design still.
Old 09-03-09, 07:32 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Power
I'm also not certain about the alternator guard thing. Why not just change the power steering pump while you're at it so that it won't leak?
A lot of people have made and used alternator guards on gen 1 LS400's and I don't remember anyone reporting a problem caused by using one.

The problem is that a power steering pump leak can kind of sneak up on you. If you don't check the PS pump frequently -- and I mean FREQUENTLY -- a leak can sneak up on you and trash your alternator. At least one of the rebuilt PS pumps didn't last a year before it started leaking.

If I had been using an alternator guard, I probably would not have had the power steering pump replaced/rebuilt as often as I did and spent so much money. I probably would have just left the PS pump drip until it got pretty bad, topped up the reservoir and relied on the guard to protect the alternator. As it was, I was so paranoid about ruining another alternator and getting stranded again that I had the PS pump replaced at the first sign of a leak.
Old 09-03-09, 08:04 AM
Max Power

I hear ya, car is at the shop now having the alternator replaced. I'm terrified of the power steering leaking again and ruining the alternator.....

I'm getting pretty low on cash :S