LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

My 93 LS400...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-09, 12:48 AM
Garage7RP
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink To bonafyd

I was thinking magnums=bigger/better exhaust...then I noticed the center console picture

Definitely more magnums

Originally Posted by bonafyd
Looks really good nice progress

Once you paint the kit & do whatever else your gonna do to the whip your gonna need more magnums
Old 08-29-09, 01:11 AM
Rides Low
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude, i have to say it again, this build is one of the best i have seen, not just because you are using my product, but because it is a complete build with commentary as well!
Old 08-29-09, 06:00 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

did u get the jp kit off ebay?
Old 08-29-09, 07:49 AM
LowN'Slow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Garage7RP

Are those Panasports on that 86 i see?
Old 08-29-09, 10:42 AM
Garage7RP
Lead Lap

Thumbs up To Rides Low

Thanks Chris! If you are on a budget and still demand quality and dependability. Get your KSport products from Rides Low. NO ONE CAN BEAT HIS PRICES!

Originally Posted by Rides Low
dude, i have to say it again, this build is one of the best i have seen, not just because you are using my product, but because it is a complete build with commentary as well!
Old 08-29-09, 10:50 AM
Garage7RP
Lead Lap

Smile To LiCelsior

I got it on VipStyleCars. It came from AutoFashion's former UCF10/11 demo car.

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
did u get the jp kit off ebay?
Old 08-29-09, 01:58 PM
Do.Man
Pole Position

all you need now is paint and then your legit.
nice build..
Old 08-30-09, 07:50 PM
Garage7RP
Lead Lap

Smile DIY Engine and Transmission Mounts Replacement

For sometime now, my 93 LS400 has been manifesting untolerable increased in vibrations on regular driving and freeway speeds. It is not the way a Lexus should drive. I remember when I first bought the car. I could hardly feel the engine running where I sometimes accidentally restart the car . The transmission shifts so smoothly too.

I just finished the procedure about an hour ago and it took me a total of 6.5 hours including taking pictures and breaks in between.

I have not seen any DIY with some detailed step-by-step procedures with pictures on the board and on Lexls' site so I will post pictures and procedures of the replacement process after I clean my self becuase I am covered with grease.
Old 08-30-09, 09:52 PM
Garage7RP
Lead Lap

Smile DIY Engine and Transmission Bushing Replacement

Tools and equipment needed:
1. Toyota OEM (2) engine bushings
2. Toyota OEM (1) transmission bushings
3. Floor jack
4. Jack stands
5. 2x4 wood blocks
6. Adjustable wrench, and metric sockets (mm):10, 12, 14, 17, 18, and 22.

Raised the car using the floor jack and place all four corners in jack stands. Remove the front wheels. Make sure the car is even on all corners on jack stands. I decided to work on changing the engine mounts first.

With the 2x4 wood block on the jack's lifting point. Place them under the oil pan and lift the engine slowly until it is raised ~0.5in...

Using a 10mm socket wrench remove the bolts that holds the wire harness...

When planning on how to remove the engine bushings, I decided to remove or lower the cross member because the steering column is on the way and there is not enough space on the driver side to access the engine mount.

On the lower control arm, there is a camber adjustment bolt. Get a marker or Sharpie to mark the relationship of the bolt to the cross member so that you will not miss align the wheels when you intall everything back...

Using a 22mm socket, loosen the nut and camber bolt.

Using a 17mm socket wrench, remove one sway bar end link nut and the lower nut/bolt that holds the strut. Remove all the nuts/bolts that holds the cross member, lower engine bushings nut, and power steering rack. You are now ready to pry the cross member down through the lower control arms and you should have something like this...

Using a 17mm open/close wrench, you need to access the upper engine bushing nut. This is difficult so be patient and use your creativity without breaking other parts...

Engine bushings removed...

Common factor in abnormal vibrations, damaged engine bushings...

Install the new engine bushings...

Once the engine bushings are in place and the top bolt are tightened, you may install everything in this order: push cross member upward and hand tight the nuts, lower engine bushings nuts, power steering nuts/bolts, lower strut nut/bolts, sway bar end link nuts. Now, start tightening all the nuts/bolts.

Now, find the mark that you made on the canber bolt and align them and tighten the nuts.

Here are the engine bushings with everything installed...

Old 08-30-09, 10:13 PM
Garage7RP
Lead Lap

Smile Now onto the transmission bushing...

Here are pictures of the original transmission bushing on the car squashed...

Using the 12 and 14mm sockets, remove the bolts in the middle first then the outer bolts that holds the transmission cross member...

The transmission cross member removed. Using the 12mm socket, remove the middle bolts...

Transmission bushing removed...

Old versus new transmission bushings...

Install the new transmission bushing with the protruding metal tab pointing towards the front of the car. Here is the new bushing installed...

You are now finished. Please double check everything and make sure everything is tight. Test drive the car and feel the difference.

You did a good job!
Old 08-31-09, 12:06 AM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sweet.... The car is coming together very well.... Whats next?
Old 08-31-09, 02:15 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great pics and explanation, you're a credit to CL !!
Old 08-31-09, 02:26 AM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

Very clean LS, makes me want to start modding my UFC10. Will be waiting for finished pictures
Old 08-31-09, 02:48 AM
LSprideLS
Driver School Candidate

so u took a great looking car and totally trashed it, toyota spend millions on designing the ls to look so cool, so what makes a guy with a couple thousand bucks think he can do a better job, most of the guys attempting to make the car look better end up with something as ugly as we r seeing in these pics
Old 08-31-09, 03:20 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LSprideLS
so u took a great looking car and totally trashed it, toyota spend millions on designing the ls to look so cool, so what makes a guy with a couple thousand bucks think he can do a better job, most of the guys attempting to make the car look better end up with something as ugly as we r seeing in these pics
wow somebody's bitter. not used to any kind of kitted car or modified car at all. rather amusing but at the same time (barely) understandable. you're allowed to have your own opinions but please make sure to not make it personal...

hey Garage7RP, PM a mod, you should really make another thread for your DIY, its similar enough to what's needed for the UCF20/21 that i'll throw it up on the UCF20 FAQ Sticky.

Quick Reply: My 93 LS400...