LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Need Help: Tilt Steering

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-09, 07:00 AM
bsjones35
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help: Tilt Steering

Hello everybody,

I have a 1999 LS400 and I am sure this topic has been discussed many times. But my Tilt steering went out awhile ago but I want to go ahead and get it fixed. Went to dealership and they want $500 for new motor and labor. I think that is to expensive for a common issue.

Did anybody have any luck fixing the problem on there own? I heard buying a new washer may fix the issue. Just wondering who tried this and if you can offer any advice or pics? Thanks
Old 08-19-09, 08:05 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

There have been soooo many threads about this problem. Here is one of many I found by doing an advanced search for the word "tilt" in this LS400 forum: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ion-00-ls.html

As noted in the above thread, there were a number of TSIBs on the tilt/telescope in the 98-00 LS400. $500 for a new motor and labor seems quite reasonable.

Last edited by Kansas; 08-19-09 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-19-09, 10:01 AM
bsjones35
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info Kansas
Old 01-22-11, 03:57 PM
maolvera
Driver School Candidate

I have a 1999 LS400 and I was having the same problem with the tilt and auto adjustment of the steering wheel. The up-down function simply stopped working, while the in-out was still working. Of course, there are two different small motors that control these functions. I tried to adjust the tilt using the up down switch in the left of the column, but I could only hear a faint beep everytime I tried. I found information about the issue that was in the bulletin from Lexus, but obviously my car is already out of warranty.
What I did to solve it (and it worked!) was to manually move the wheel down and it seems some sensor reset, allowing the system to work fine again. Here is what I did:

1. Remove the plastic cover for the steering column. It has 3 philips screws.
2. Find the up-down motor and locate the threaded bar that goes out of this motor.
3. Find the electrical conector for this motor, it is orange and goes on the same side of the up-down switch. Unplug it to cut the power to the tilt motor.
4. Get a pair of long nose pliers and grab the threaded bar. Turn it a bit clockwise, maybe be half a turn. Remove your pliers.
5. Reconnect the power to the tilt motor.
6. Turn on the key. Voila!
7. Reinstall the plastic cover for the steering column.

In my case, the tilt motor started working fine immediately. I hope it stays that way for long time.

I saved $400 dollars for the motor, 1.5 hrs of Lexus labor but mostly I enjoyed doing it following the postings, ideas and suggestions!

BTW, if you want to leave the steering wheel in a fixed vertical position, adjust the desired postion and disconnect the power to the tilt motor before reinstalling the plastic cover. That is what I will do if it fails again.
Old 01-08-12, 08:03 AM
megabear44
Driver School Candidate

Default LOL! I can't believe I just fixed my own steering problem; I LOVE you guys

First, I'm an an old chick heading toward 60...so I have to admit that makes it even more fun. Recessions make you do crazy things...like try and work on your own car. I read the tutorial here and thought, why not give it a try. Well it's fixed. You guys saved me $300-$400 so I owe you all a beer.

What I noticed at first is you have to have the steering column telescoped out so you can remove the lower column housing. At first I didn't have it out and I almost gave up right there. Went back...read another thread where it was mentioned. I don't think the tutorial I read originally said that.

Anyway, next problem...I had to use a flat head screw driver to just pry slightly the metal bracket that runs to the lower (7clock) side of the metal housing box....just to get the box top off after screws were removed.

I used one hard rubber washer on the inside to realign the wheel cogs and I put it all back together.

Voila! My husband was very impressed.

Thanks guys!
Old 01-10-12, 06:24 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

[QUOTE=Anyway, next problem...I had to use a flat head screw driver to just pry slightly the metal bracket that runs to the lower (7clock) side of the metal housing box....just to get the box top off after screws were removed. [/QUOTE]

you really didnt need to pry it out, it is held in place with a nut, just loosen it and swing it out of the way. if you ever need to do another one, or if you are reading this.

Hers was the old style 90-98, 99 & up are what this post is referenced to..