LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Clear headlights on 91?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-09, 03:27 PM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clear headlights on 91?

Just wondering why the clear headlights on ebay only says 93-94. I thought that 90-94 parts were interchangable?

i can find some oem headlights on ebay that says 90-94. But not the clear ones.

When i look at the 90-92 vs 93-94 pictures i cant see any difference in the headlights so maybe there isnt any or maybe just minor?

http://www.lexls.com/info/lsgenerations.html

Anyone got an idea?
Old 08-17-09, 03:53 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

headlights are different form 89-92 and 93-94.
89-92 used H3, 93-94 used 9003 aka H4 bulbs.
Old 08-17-09, 04:00 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
headlights are different form 89-92 and 93-94.
89-92 used 9004 aka HB1, 93-94 used 9003 aka H4 bulbs.
Old 08-17-09, 04:03 PM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

Ahhh okay. But since i'm thinking about installing xenon i dont need the old bulbs anyway. So i guess i can use those 93-94 clear headlights? Just need to mod the wiring? The actually lights are the same size and shape?

But damn look at those corner lights. What the heck were they thinking while making those.. clear headlights and then silver corners. omg. Once again i need to some modding to make it look good :-)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1993-...Q5fAccessories
Old 08-17-09, 04:42 PM
doyo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eagle Eyes on mah LS400!? I think so!

Small pics are small.

The chrome pieces in the corners are screwed onto the back/inner portion of the lenses, plain ol' Philips will get them off. It's all black underneath, so you can either plate it, silver it, or ghetto-chrome it like I did.
Old 08-17-09, 05:04 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Rollaboy, are these the eBay headlights you are considering?

The eBay headlights have fog lights next to the 55/60 watt headlamps. Are your fog lights below your bumper?

Do you have high beam headlamps with 55 watt bulbs where the 1991 LS400 in the U.S. have fog lights?

Do you have a headlight beam level adjustment dial on your dashboard? The headlight beam level adjustment dial was not on LS400 cars sold in the U.S. I doubt if these eBay headlights allow for the dash mounted beam level control.

If these eBay lights are the ones you are considering, I wonder if they are going to be compatible with your car.
Attached Thumbnails Clear headlights on 91?-lh-llx93a-set-00.jpg  
Old 08-17-09, 05:09 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

91 does not have the level beam on the dash, is a screw under the hood that you have to manually adjust.

Rolla,,, to my knowledge, Python is the only one here who runs those eagle eyes, so look up his car in the recent pics thread and you will get a good idea of what they will look like on yours. If you don't want to scroll thru all of the pages, then pm him. Am SURE he will be more than glad to provide pics of when he first installed his so you can get a full picture.

EDIT,,,,,better yet I did the work for you.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...le-eyes-3.html

Last edited by trukn1; 08-17-09 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-17-09, 05:22 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by EXE.UCF10
i need to stop CLing between intership shifts and class

my bad, H3 are used in the fogs

OP: yeah, you can use 93-94 lights and just convert your harness connectors to H4 plugs. nothing some solder and heatshrink can't fix
Old 08-17-09, 05:28 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by trukn1
91 does not have the level beam on the dash, is a screw under the hood that you have to manually adjust
OK, I'm confused because I'm seeing plenty of early LS400's on UK and European Lexus forums with the lighting system that includes the extra high beam headlights by the main low/high beam headlights, the fog lights below the bumper and the beam level dial on the dash ... like this 1990 UK spec LS400
Attached Thumbnails Clear headlights on 91?-1990-uk-spec-ls400.jpg  
Old 08-17-09, 05:30 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Originally Posted by Puredrifter
i need to stop CLing between intership shifts and class

my bad, H3 are used in the fogs
Yeah,, will agree with that statement, Foglight is a H3c. You can however CONVERT a H3 bulb to work with the addition of a spaded end wire. Cmon PD,, you know this. LOL!!
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/light...onversion.html

Kansas,, sorry. I was referring to the US spec'ed cars. Hadn't paid attention to the fact that OP was from Copenhagen.

Last edited by trukn1; 08-17-09 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-17-09, 11:41 PM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kansas
OK, I'm confused because I'm seeing plenty of early LS400's on UK and European Lexus forums with the lighting system that includes the extra high beam headlights by the main low/high beam headlights, the fog lights below the bumper and the beam level dial on the dash ... like this 1990 UK spec LS400
Yeah mine is exactly like the one in the picture with the fog lights in the bumper and beam level dial on the dash.

But yep its those clear lights i want to go with. Thank you for the link to the install guide. And good to see that its not just me hating those side corners

I'm thinking of maybe using the old side corner and take the clear glass from the new one and put it on the old one. But dont know if its chrome inside the original corners. Would look stupid with silver with clear light.

I can see now however the clear healights are with the chrome corners, but still look weird. They should have used a little more time on those so they would match the others.

But if i just can get the clear headlights on my 91 ls400 i would be glad. i think its a huge facelift together with the vip grill, gold logo and and clear signal lights in the bumper. Hopes it turns out good.
Old 08-18-09, 12:11 AM
Twix
Pole Position

I have fog lights in the bumper, but no beam level dial :S:

Also, RHD car (like UK)...
Old 08-18-09, 11:51 AM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by trukn1
Yeah,, will agree with that statement, Foglight is a H3c. You can however CONVERT a H3 bulb to work with the addition of a spaded end wire. Cmon PD,, you know this. LOL!!
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/light...onversion.html

Kansas,, sorry. I was referring to the US spec'ed cars. Hadn't paid attention to the fact that OP was from Copenhagen.

Glad to see that people are still using my conversion.

If you need help drive to the Lexkost Garage.
Old 08-18-09, 04:20 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Originally Posted by Lexkost

Yeah, that mod is still alive and well. Too bad I completely forgot the Euro-spec'ed LS's also came with the bunper fog lights which ARE H3.
Old 08-19-09, 09:07 AM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexkost

Yeah really nice website you have there Lexkost. If it wasn't for that i would have broken alot of plastic in my lexus now

In the turorial about installing an aftermarket stereo, i found out that instead of taking the wood out with a screwdriver and itching the wood i used the vacum from my gps holder. If you want you can add it to your tutorial. Took a picture of it too ;-)
Attached Thumbnails Clear headlights on 91?-gearframe.jpg  

Quick Reply: Clear headlights on 91?