LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Electrical Problem - HELP NEEDED

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-09, 09:31 AM
Husker1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Electrical Problem - HELP NEEDED

After buying a new power washer, I got carried away with cleaning and my old girl (1990 LS 400) got her engine compartment cleaned. Big mistake, for now I have instrument lights on and she wont keep a charge. Everything was working fine before my handy work.

These are the istrument lights on: 1) Low engine oil warning light, 2) Discharge (battery) warning light, 3) Brake system warning light, and 4) Rear light failure warning light.

Any suggestions on a course of action of possible damage? Help is greatly appreciated!!!!

Brian
Old 08-17-09, 10:15 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you remember to cover up the important electrical things under the hood (relays, ignition coils, ALTERNATOR, etc), or did you just go hog wild and blasted everything in sight; full pressure? Sound like you may have gotten quite a few sensors wet with the underhood blasting, if you didn't break quite a few in the process. On a 19 year old car, the wiring is gonna be brittle and won't take much to break. I would look for breaks in any wires, and try to dry out any electrical components you may have gotten wet.
Old 08-18-09, 01:08 PM
mista808
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alternator crapped out. All warning light turning on is an indication that the alternatoris no longer charging... time for a new alternator.. also check to see if the powersterring reservior maybe leaking too, it usualy will leak on to the alternator, and thus killing it too....
Old 08-18-09, 01:32 PM
GABE_LS400
Rookie

what you can do to charge up the alternator is take some jumper cables and do as if your gonna jumpstart a car but put the cables backwards. NEgative with positive and this will cause the car to spark and send a signal to the alternator and make it turn on and fix your problem. you may burn some relays but in there place just jam quarters same thing.
Old 08-18-09, 02:25 PM
Li Ls4
Lexus Champion

one very easy way 2 check and c if the alternator is the problem is to have the car running and to disconnect the positive terminal from the battery. if nothing changes in the cars idling than its not the alternator. but if the car starts to die than u no its time for a new alternator
Old 08-20-09, 11:56 AM
Husker1
Driver School Candidate

Sorry its taken a few days to get back to your comments. Just got the kids back in school today! Yes, I went hog wild with the sprayer now lesson learned!!! I will try the positive cable removal today.

If my Powersteering reservior is leaking, is there a way to protect the future alternatior from this dripping either happening currently or prevent it from happening in the future?

Also, if the alternator is bad can I replace it myself or is it a major task like the timing belt replacement? What brand do you recommend?

Finally, I will check wiring and try to figure out where sensor may be (no manual to tell me where to look though). If I find moisture in sensors how do I dry them out? Is there a product/procedure to use/do?

I really appreciate all the help, for I dont want my old girl to become a "clunker", I enjoy her too much!!

Brian
Old 08-20-09, 03:12 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Husker1
Sorry its taken a few days to get back to your comments. Just got the kids back in school today! Yes, I went hog wild with the sprayer now lesson learned!!! I will try the positive cable removal today.

If my Powersteering reservior is leaking, is there a way to protect the future alternatior from this dripping either happening currently or prevent it from happening in the future?

Also, if the alternator is bad can I replace it myself or is it a major task like the timing belt replacement? What brand do you recommend?

Finally, I will check wiring and try to figure out where sensor may be (no manual to tell me where to look though). If I find moisture in sensors how do I dry them out? Is there a product/procedure to use/do?

I really appreciate all the help, for I dont want my old girl to become a "clunker", I enjoy her too much!!

Brian
1. power steering leak- couple of ways to stop future leaking.
a. replace IAC valve (Idle Air Control) and hoses (if bad)
b. remove valve and cap off bottom of PS pump (see PS bible thread)

Just need to figure which option is best for you. Reference PS bible thread above for a full list of options and solutions. Searching the forums using the key word "Power Steering leak" in the advanced section will yield LOTS of results (I would limit your advanced search to the LS section). I do remember reading, awhile back, where a member fabricated a shield to protect his alternator since he wasn't fixing the PS leak and he didnt want PS fluid driping into the alternator anymore.

2. Alternator- Alternator job is not too bad, if mechanically inclined. If you do yourself, should take a little over an hour to change. Biggest pain is trying to maneuver the alternator around to get it to clear the front sway bar(it has to be removed from the bottom). It is a pain, and you will question how in the world it ever got in there to begin with, but it DOES come out AS WELL AS go back in; just a matter of the twist in your wrist.

3. Since you went hog wild with the washer, you are gonna want to check EVERYTHING electrical; including the distributor caps and rotors. Chances are you got water in places where it should NEVER be; lol!! Hair dryer has been known to work to dry many things out.

4. Lastly,,,,,www.lexls.com
Old 08-20-09, 03:22 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Li Ls4
one very easy way 2 check and c if the alternator is the problem is to have the car running and to disconnect the positive terminal from the battery. if nothing changes in the cars idling than its not the alternator. but if the car starts to die than u no its time for a new alternator
NEVER DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY WHEN ITS RUNNING U CAN SHORT THE ECU OUT! if u have a 1970 camaro or something then ya its ok but do not do this on any car with electronics such as the LS 400
Old 08-21-09, 08:47 AM
Husker1
Driver School Candidate

O'reilly's checked the alternator this morning and it was below 12 (approx 11.97) and dropped when I turned on the radio and the A/C (to approx 11.72). Thus they felt it was the alternator as well. They can get me a lifetime replacement alternator for around $160.00 with exchanged core. How does that price sound, if still in agreement on the alternator replacement as a plan.

Since I do feel up to the task of replacement, is there a tutorial on its replacement?

(It had been months since I had driven my '90 LS400 and it really was great driving her again, she is such a sweet ride, with only 90k on the clock. Sincere thanks to everyone for your help, she may be old but she is my favorite ride!