LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-09, 05:48 PM
Pud2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical problem

My wife has a 95 Ls 400. We have been through 2 alternators and still am having the same problem. That is at times when you at stop light and put on the brake the radio goes out and will come back on when released. Some times when you put the blinker on it will do samething. when this happens i can keep my foot on brake and put in neutral and back in gear when u get that little jerk the radio will come back on. We had it at the dealer and they said it was a bad alternator so i replaced with one from Napa parts. This was the second one. I am leaning toward a loose ground wire some where are something that is is causing the battery to go low. when you jump off it will charde batt. Also i thought it had the radio volume speed ctrl. when you are stopped the radio is louder than when you go down the road it gets lower it is like it is working backwards. I don't think this is a big problem but has anyone had anything like this happen? Need to get fixed.

Thaks for reply
Old 08-09-09, 07:56 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Take the car to your local auto parts store and have them do a test of the charging system of your car. Most of these places (Autozone, Parts America, etc) do not charge for this service. Are any of your warning lights coming up on the dash when this happens? You very well could have another bad alternator, or the battery may need to be replaced. It has to be either one or the other. Was the alternator you got from Napa a reman'ed part? I had a similar situation where I went thru 3 of them in 2 weeks b4 I got one that was good. Could have just been a bad batch. Did you install the last alternator? Could very well be a bad ground, or a loose wire you forgot to tighten. Happens to the best of us, especially after wrangling the alternator out of/into place(lots of fun there). A test of the charging system should yield your answer
Old 08-10-09, 04:55 AM
Pud2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No warning lights at all. Yes it was a reman but i bought the premium one and they said the only thing they reuse is the body?? ha ha. I had my mechaic replace the last one and a shop on the first one. It is doing the same thing as from the beginning when the oem went out. Had the Lexus dealer check to see if the power sterring pump was leaking on it as i have read this was a problem on some and all is well there. If it is another alt. i guess i will shuck out the extra $$$$$$ for one at dealer but my mechanic said the Napa one should be fine. Any other help would be appreciated.
Old 08-10-09, 06:14 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

i work at napa and i can tell u first hand that we do sometimes get bad rebuilds just like any other parts store,to have 2 in a row is unlikely but not impossible...have that one checked while its on the car by a shop,not an autoparts store because u never know what type of a dummy u might get helping you,if in fact it is bad then take it back to napa and ask for your money back and go elsewhere or have them test the new one before putting it on ur car, they should have a bench tester