LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

97 ls400 replacing head unit, speakers, amps, wires, etc

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-09, 12:52 PM
imrodd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 ls400 replacing head unit, speakers, amps, wires, etc

Replacing everything myself. By removing the glove compartment, I think it might be easier to wire.

CONFUSION: The Lexus BODY Manual, on pages 105, 106, and 111, has pics and instructions for removing the glove compartment. It looks like the Glove Compartment is really where the CD changer sits and the Instrument Panel Box Assembly is what I consider the Glove Compartment. Am I correct? Thanks, rod
Old 07-26-09, 03:51 PM
gmacrae
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glove compartment is below the CD changer compartment.

You dont need to remove the CD changer or glove compartment to do a custom install though. You will need to take out the drivers seat, centre console and shifter surround etc to remove the stock amp and get at the wires for all of the speakers and use the stock amp's ACC power supply for the new HU (stock HU ACC 12v feed is tiny, as it has no internal amp). These wires to the amp all actually come down from under the stock HU anywayso you can strip open the loom and take them back to the dash.
Old 07-26-09, 06:43 PM
imrodd
Driver School Candidate

Default thanks

car did not come with amp, so running all new wires. thought if i took off the glove compartment, it would be easier to get to the wires that i will run from the door and the head unit.
Old 07-27-09, 07:06 AM
acidfire52
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They all came with amps. Check under your pass seat, you should see it.
Old 07-27-09, 01:48 PM
imrodd
Driver School Candidate

will do. thanks
Old 07-27-09, 01:57 PM
gmacrae
Driver

Originally Posted by acidfire52
They all came with amps. Check under your pass seat, you should see it.
...true, was drivers seat for me - RHD.

If you find the amp, you'll save a LOT of time. The stock wiring for the door speakers is good so you may as well use it. Plus the big power supply for the factory amp is perfect for decent headunit.
Old 07-28-09, 05:50 PM
imrodd
Driver School Candidate

Not under the passenger seat - there is a vent under there. Will check the driver's side after I get it back from the shop (inspection). I have a new amp, head unit, wiring, etc. Decided to make this as difficult as possible for myself.
Old 07-28-09, 06:40 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

the amp is UNDER/BEHIND the vent.
Old 07-29-09, 01:14 AM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you don't need to really remove the glove box. once you ram the power wire through the grommet inside the engine bay i will pop inside the car.

+1 the amp is under the passenger seat

some amusing picture of my car audio setup in my 95 LS400
as you can see in the 3rd picture where the crossover sits was where the original oem use to be before i took it out
Old 07-31-09, 03:58 AM
imrodd
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate all the feedback!

Thought the amp might be sitting under the vent - the original sound system in car is decent and figured there had to be an amp somewhere. My new amp is 12 x 18, hope it fits.

After car was inspected, mechanic removed the glove compartment - much cleaner and easier access/view.

Tweeters - from what I have read (have not tested the sound yet), best place for tweeters are: 1. on dash by windshield 2. in front pillar garnish 3. window frame, where the original tweeters are.

I pulled the pillar garnish out with little damage and looks easy to put tweeters in. Has anyone pulled the dash in order to mount tweeters? With the manual, looks like more of a job than I want to get into.

Last, thought about putting the crossovers in the glove compartment.
Old 07-31-09, 05:40 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

there are already tweeters in the door, over the panel where the rear view mirrors mount.

have you actually gone through the Oem system at all or are you just giving it your best guess ?
Old 08-02-09, 01:11 PM
imrodd
Driver School Candidate

Pulled the amp from under passenger seat. Looks like i need to mount my amp in the trunk - way too big for under the seat. Using harnesses that came with head unit - hope I can figure it out.
Old 08-02-09, 04:16 PM
gmacrae
Driver

Originally Posted by imrodd
Pulled the amp from under passenger seat. Looks like i need to mount my amp in the trunk - way too big for under the seat. Using harnesses that came with head unit - hope I can figure it out.
just remember the ACC 12v feed for the stock HU is tiny (no speaker amp in stock HU)
Old 08-02-09, 10:21 PM
edtbjon
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gmacrae
just remember the ACC 12v feed for the stock HU is tiny (no speaker amp in stock HU)
I'm about to do a similar mod on a '95, which should be the same setup as the OP. Anyhow, I read somewhere (maybe in the sticky Audio thread above) that there's a harness passing by/connecting to the harness from the HU to the floor mounted old amp. If you don't want to use the old amp anymore, you can tap into that harness and use the amp feed instead. (I think the poster of that info said that the 12v+ thread was yellow, but check wireing diagrams etc.)

Also, there are plenty of threads on audio mods for both the LS and other Lexus models which will be of great use for you. A simple search will suffice. (Most of that search is already done and presented in the sticky Audio thread above.)

//Björn
Old 08-07-09, 05:12 AM
imrodd
Driver School Candidate

Sticky audio thread? Not sure I understand. Will search. Pulling the head unit this weekend to see what the new hu presents. Strange - pulled the amp from under the passenger's seat and the music still sounds the same.

Quick Reply: 97 ls400 replacing head unit, speakers, amps, wires, etc