How to fix the problem with non working reclining on drivers seat. Pictures inside
Know it is a tonnes of treads like this on this forum but all of the treads I found missed some information which would help even more. So this is an attempt to gather some of the information on how to fix the common problem on the first gen LS400 with the reclining on drivers seat not working as it should. In this tread is also a short description on how I fixed this problem on my car.
If the drivers seat on your car only reclines on one side (left) this tread is for you.
2) The problem in my case was that the splined shaft didn't move. The splines on the shaft was destroyed as can be seen on the picture below.
Instead of trying to superglue my plan was to change out the shaft. The art nr on the shaft is 72501-30050 and it is really cheap.
3) Continued to dismantle the seat. To be able to remove the shaft you have to remove the top half of the seat. To do this you have to remove the 2 bolts marked on picture bellow with a 12 mm socket on both sides of the seat.
4) It also helps a lot if you loosen all the straps holding the cables in place. See picture below.
5) Now you should be able to lift the top half of the seat up and tilt it forward. To remove the shaft press out the "frame" as showed in the picture below. In the picture the shaft is already removed.
6) Put the new shaft in. The new shaft is slightly longer then the old one. Make sure the both sides of the seat is level when you do this.
7) Make sure the seat works as it should. Then put everything back together again.
Hope this helps. And hope you can understand my not so perfect English. Feel free to come with comments and post links to similar treads.
This ad is not displayed to registered members. Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Nice tutorial, I had to do this last year. I am sure other members will appreciate this because I sure it is fairly common. I pulled both front seats out and since I had mine torn down I decided to switch the top leather covers and seat cushions with the passenger seat so the worn section was hidden on the other side.
I used this to fix a problem where my seat was free and flopping i.e. no support on right rear corner of driver seat. i found to missing bolts that held seat in place . I pulled seat and replaced bolts seat its all nice and stable now but it only reclines on the left side now help
Just an update and a few helpful hints (well, they worked for me anyways).
In order to align the seat brackets again, try and rotate them and make sure all 4 bolts are able to get in place with no fuss. If you have to push and force a bolt, then you're doing it wrong and its not aligned.
Also, make sure you put the shaft on the motor end FIRST.
Put some grease in both ends of the shaft. Not necessary but it helps when you have to try and take it in and out a few times for alignment.
Can I get this part at a regular Toyota dealer or it's Lexus only?
The part as such is probably Lexus only, but you should be able to walk into any Toyota dealer and order parts for Lexus cars. (That is at least the situation here in Sweden and Europe. If I understood it correctly, both the swedish and the european central storehouse for Toyota parts shares the space with Lexus parts, as well as a common computer system etc.)
In short, I recon that you can go to any Toyota dealer and order the part from there. Just see to that you have the correct article number (72501-30050 in this case) and they should be able to get it to you within a few days.
There are three kinds of people, those who can count and those who cannot.