LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

98 w/Nav - OEM CD Player Skipping & Freezes Up

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-09, 12:43 PM
Lexuses71
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 w/Nav - OEM CD Player Skipping & Freezes Up

Maybe just because it's getting old. But I have had this problem off and on for last 4 months. It really freezes up (counter stuck) when it is hot ior very warm weather.

I used search b4 posting and found only a few threads on the Pioneer (I assume it's made by Pioneer) CD player. And it looks liek there is no exact OEM replacement. I don't want to chop up my dash with an aftermarket unit. I doubt anything will fit in that tight upper dash space.

And, I've cleaned the lens with a Maxell CD cleaner. Minimal help. Anyone come across this and what's the solution (besides going to Lexus for the big hiney rip expensive repair) to get the OEM unit working properly?? Unit (when it plays) has great sound-so there has to be a solution.

Any advice??
Old 07-12-09, 01:48 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine did this in my 92 before the Cd player finally decided it had enough. My stock head unit is having the problem of coming on when IT wants to, not when I want it to. Sometimes it will come on after 15 minutes, sometimes not at all. I pretty much attribute mine to just being old. If you pretty much want to keep the stock HU, then I would suggest checking the classified threads here for members who may be selling/parting out or every once in awhile you may run across an operative one on Ebay.
Old 07-12-09, 08:23 PM
Lexuses71
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks trukn1, that's about where I'm at. I did a extensive search, there just are no options out there to replace this CD unit. The alternative is yanking it out and having a custom installer put some compatible other unit in where the old one is now. Which I am also considering, but that will cost a grip also.

Sad part is, that it just started doing thsi a few months ago and as I said, when it's evening or otherwise cool, it plays like a charm. Sound is excellent, no skips or freeeze ups. But when it gets hot, hoo boy, it gets an attitude and basically flips me the bird. Sound techie Folks I have ran this issue by all tell me it's old late 90s technology and I should consider replacing the unit. Hard part is finding a head unit & Cd player that is compatible with my old factory nav-or can bypass it entirely.
Old 07-13-09, 08:34 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

There are probably other repair options besides the Lexus dealer.

This Florida company repaired my 00 LS head unit last year: http://www.carstereohelp.com/lexus.htm

I googled "lexus CD changer repair" and found this one: http://www.willmanselectronics.com/fee_&_warranty.htm

ATE repairs Lexus amps - http://www.autoecu.com/ - maybe they repair CD changers.