LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

95 totaled

Old 07-08-09, 11:49 AM
Taiwanese
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 totaled

95 LS400 with 60k miles was hit by some joker and he ran off. He left his front bumper with license plate on it. How dumb can someone be!!!

Anyways, this LS400 was owned since day 1 with ultra low mileage of only 60k miles. Mobil 1 all his life. Everything works and runs beautifully.

It was 35 mph or less impact. Besides the body damage, suspension is also damaged. It's going to cost more than $9,000 to repair so insurance decided to totaled the car. So sad.

I lurk more than I post, that is why I can't post images (I think). Please click on them to view.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2653/...b19bc3bfcb.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2657/...873e2fc84e.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2488/...0732ed7073.jpg

Last edited by Taiwanese; 07-08-09 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-08-09, 12:10 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

What a shame. It is salvageable but may not be worthwhile to spend the money. How much is your insurance offering?

The criminal who hit you and left evidence may turn out to be an illegal alien. I have seen this first hand in Texas. Don't be surprised if the car does not trace back or if it does there is no insurance and the owner is nowhere to be found.

Have you started focusing on what you will buy to replace it?
Old 07-08-09, 12:18 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

that sucks man, i know how it is to get your LS Totalled by someone else

what's important though is that you got our unharmed, cars can be fixed or replaced far easier and cheaper than people can

get yourself checked out and start hunting for a '98-00
Old 07-08-09, 12:26 PM
Taiwanese
Driver School Candidate

I am waiting for insurance company to reply with value.

What is the fair value?

95 60k miles, no accident, everything works, interior is good as well.
Old 07-08-09, 04:02 PM
Do.Man
Pole Position

the low mileage should help you out the most..
hope everything goes well.
Old 07-08-09, 07:07 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry about your loss man, that sucks. You should get between $5-8K for it. My 95' was totaled back in September and I had well over 287,000 miles on the clock, the insurance gave me $5k
Old 07-08-09, 09:35 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My Mothers 96 LS was totaled today as someone ran thru a red light (weather was awful at the time of the incident).
Both airbags deployed & she had a seatbelt on so while a tad shook up from the experience, she was/is physically just fine.

There is no doubt it was totaled. The other car had insurance & it's drivers stayed at the scene. I arrived prior to police or fire & started the car up & drove it out of the busy intersection & into a nearby lot. Think I was inspired by the condition in which Nascar drivers are able to return to pit row.

Security & police were a tad puzzled to see two other LS 400's appear at the scene as my Father also had arrived.

Hate to see it go but it did the job it was designed for and kept my Mother safe.
Old 07-08-09, 10:06 PM
Taiwanese
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by damon
My Mothers 96 LS was totaled today as someone ran thru a red light (weather was awful at the time of the incident).
Both airbags deployed & she had a seatbelt on so while a tad shook up from the experience, she was/is physically just fine.

There is no doubt it was totaled. The other car had insurance & it's drivers stayed at the scene. I arrived prior to police or fire & started the car up & drove it out of the busy intersection & into a nearby lot. Think I was inspired by the condition in which Nascar drivers are able to return to pit row.

Security & police were a tad puzzled to see two other LS 400's appear at the scene as my Father also had arrived.

Hate to see it go but it did the job it was designed for and kept my Mother safe.
Glad to hear she is all right. Please keep an eye on her, as some injury or discomfort does not show up right away.
Old 07-08-09, 10:33 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

yeah, have her checked out by a pro, the adrenaline will not fully wear off for some time.
Old 07-09-09, 09:01 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

All is fine & I hear what you guys are saying.
Almost lost a friend that what released from emergency care to quickly due to unseen internal bleeding.
Old 07-09-09, 10:06 AM
genetic
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you are okay, it's a shame such a nice car be totaled by a dumbazz
Old 07-09-09, 10:10 AM
Taiwanese
Driver School Candidate

Do I have to take whatever insurance company is offering for the value of my LS400?

Is there a good way to counter if the value is too low?
Old 07-09-09, 11:17 AM
bmoore
Rookie

Originally Posted by Taiwanese
Do I have to take whatever insurance company is offering for the value of my LS400?

Is there a good way to counter if the value is too low?
ABSOLUTELY NOT. The insurance wants you to go away. They are going to give you a lowball number and hope that you bite. Compile a list of similar cars for sale (across the country, since your car has such extraordinarily low miles) and be prepared to fight for a fair payout.

Also, if you want to fix it / part it out, you can "buy back" the rest of the car for typically 10-20% of the payout. This will probably require you to do some title work so that the car will be labled "Salvage", but just from the looks of your pictures, you probably have a LOT of money you could make in parting it out.

Good luck!
Old 07-09-09, 04:30 PM
AzHotLS
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bmoore
Also, if you want to fix it / part it out, you can "buy back" the rest of the car for typically 10-20% of the payout. This will probably require you to do some title work so that the car will be labled "Salvage", but just from the looks of your pictures, you probably have a LOT of money you could make in parting it out.
Oh yes, if you have the space to put it, buy it back and part it out. I considered doing that with my 90 but didn't have space. It shouldn't take you long to make up the "buy back" cost. The only thing to consider is how much it will cost to have it hauled away when you're done parting it out.
Old 07-09-09, 07:47 PM
whiteivory
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A tow truck driver gave me this advice.
Settlements agents will always deal you down and try to payout as least as possible
So you'll have to fight for your money.

Thing is, they never go past a third offer. After the third offer, it will go into legal proceedings, and that is costly for them.
That's why they'll always give you a very nice offer on the third try.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 95 totaled