LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New Lexus Owner. 92. Intro + Power Steering.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-09, 08:35 PM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Lexus Owner. 92. Intro + Power Steering.

What's good fellas? Bought a 92 today. 129k, dealer serviced w/ records, good condition. Did some pre-buy research (thanks) and everything checked out other than the power steering (more on that in a minute).

(Bad) Pics w/ my 90 Q45:

Been a member for a while (buy/sell wheels) and know a lot of the vip guys are on here. Looking for a technical resource.

On to the only obvious issue so far: the power steering. Everything was disclosed prior to viewing the car so it's not a surprise, just need to fix it. I read "the bible" and my main question is: the power steering functions when refilled but still makes a horrible noise, should i go ahead and order a replacement? who's the preferred rebuilder for these (found acdelco at a decent price)? i am going to clean the screen and track down any leaks as well.

Thanks, and I look forward to being part of the community.
Old 05-29-09, 07:00 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Car looks good. If the PS pump is still making noise when you refill the reservior, then most likely you may need to replace it. Before doing so, check the lines going to and from the pump for leaks. In alot of cases, it is not uncommon for the high pressure PS line to have a leak in it somewhere, draining your PS fluid to the low level, creating the whining noise. Make sure you also check the PS rack as well for leaks. The older LS's were prone to them, and sometimes just cleaning out the filter scren in the rack resolved these issues. As far as replacement, AC delco is fine to use.

Welcome to the LS forum.
Old 05-29-09, 11:40 AM
ripcurl
Driver School Candidate

That was a nice car, you snatched it from under me j/k.

I came and looked at the day before you purchased it though, very clean.
Old 05-29-09, 12:03 PM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by trukn1
Car looks good. If the PS pump is still making noise when you refill the reservior, then most likely you may need to replace it. Before doing so, check the lines going to and from the pump for leaks. In alot of cases, it is not uncommon for the high pressure PS line to have a leak in it somewhere, draining your PS fluid to the low level, creating the whining noise. Make sure you also check the PS rack as well for leaks. The older LS's were prone to them, and sometimes just cleaning out the filter scren in the rack resolved these issues. As far as replacement, AC delco is fine to use.

Welcome to the LS forum.
thanks for the info. i went ahead and ordered the replacment pump since it makes noise constantly.

somebody along the way had attempted to bypass the idle valve thingy and only plugged 1 outlet on the pump side. i removed the entire valve this morning. cl is already payin off.

Originally Posted by ripcurl
That was a nice car, you snatched it from under me j/k.

I came and looked at the day before you purchased it though, very clean.
naw... (i'm assuming) you almost snatched it from under me.

i went to look at it the previous day as well (first according to seller) and then called a couple hundred short early the following morning. he actually wanted me to wait to see what he could get out of someone around noon (you?), but called back 10 minutes later and told me to come on with it.

early bird gets the worm...
Old 05-29-09, 12:12 PM
ripcurl
Driver School Candidate

yea that was me but really no worries.

It was my backup, the power steering noise kind of scared me off of it.

Dude was a little crazy wasnt he haha.

Good pickup, I got mine today. See the thread right under yours haha.
Old 05-31-09, 01:56 PM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome blkonblk!

nice grab on the 1ls, looks like you got the rare as **** mesh stockers, congrats!
Old 05-31-09, 04:16 PM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

thanks brandon. you and i both know these wheels aren't gonna last too long, but nice to know they might be worth something to the right person.

been diggin around the net and found a couple things i'd like to throw buy. never really realized how little aftermarket support there is for the 1g. seems llike everything has been d/c'ed. oh well... fix it, slam it, wheel it, drive it. same ol' same ol'.
Old 06-03-09, 11:27 AM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you got that right, but the aftermarket for this car is still there, you just gotta really want it haha, do some digging and im sure youd be suprised just how much stuff there is ranging from ebay crab to the memoryfab kits (good place to scope kits btw) anyway its good you joined this site, this is a great technical resource for this car.