LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Transmission Hell :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-09, 05:46 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Transmission Hell :(

Hi all

Made my original thread here regarding the transmission hesitating before engaging into drive.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ml#post3564892

Update: I was at the bank and turned off my car in the drive thru. Once I started it up... the car didnt move when put in to Drive. I had to step on the gas for it to catch the gear and it jerked forward hard and began to drive.

When i reach stop signs, i have to step on teh gas again just to get the transmission to catch the first gear.

It goes into reverse just fine, but going in drive is hard.

I did the diy tranny fluid flush from lexls.com hoping to see improvement but I did not.

It looks as if I may need to get a transmission

I just put so much $ into this car I dont know what to do anymore, anyone experience this any find any way out of it?
Old 05-04-09, 06:52 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

sounds like the something is slipping in the transmission it self...clutch pack maybe?
Old 05-04-09, 06:54 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

I was googling and saw a couple people mention clutch pack, im not sure exactly what this refers to so im going to search more myself.

LiCelsior any more info would be appreciated!
Old 05-04-09, 07:13 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

junkyard 95-97 trans time x.x
Old 05-04-09, 07:20 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

gawddd

i have a friend with an sc400 tranny for sale. Sigh
Old 05-19-09, 08:02 PM
jb904
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i have the same problem!!

after some searching i came across both of your posts and to tell you that it sucks having to sit and wait until the gears "catch" is an understatement. if i find any solution to the problem i'll be sure to pass the word. keep me in mind if you find something out too!!
Old 05-20-09, 08:31 AM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
junkyard 95-97 trans time x.x
Why those particular years? Aren't they all a341's? Knowledge please....
Old 05-20-09, 11:48 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
Why those particular years? Aren't they all a341's? Knowledge please....
89-94 LS400s use the A341E, 95-97 use an altered version, the A340E plus come with a gated shifter. all are 4spd w/OD

98-05 LS400/430, GS300/430, and more all used the A650E 5spd.
Old 05-20-09, 09:51 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

would an sc4 tranny work?
Old 05-20-09, 10:56 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

no, SCs use different wiring, they generally only have 2 solenoids vs. the LS having 4 or something like that.
Old 05-22-09, 11:02 AM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

o lawd
Old 05-23-09, 02:39 PM
mista808
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had, sort of, a similar problem... sounds to me like there isn't enough line pressure at idle to engage gears so you gotta rev it a bit to do so... which leads me to think you got a clogged trans filter... but why is it clogged? Possibly something internally is wearing out. You can tell when/if you decide to drop the trans pan. Any thing metal like a clutch will be attracted to the magnet. Any thing other you'll find in the screen of the filter... but in any case, drain, drop the pan, change the filter, replace gasket and reinstall pan, add 2-3 qts of trans fluid and give it a try...
Old 05-24-09, 11:34 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

^ thanks for the input, will consider that possibility
Old 05-26-09, 09:36 AM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, now that you mention it. I dropped my pan, valve body and all that stuff. I lost a considerable amount of fluid as I had to add almost 4 quarts. So after 2-3 quarts I had nothing, I was worried the fluid was too new and clean and cause my tranny to go as I had to rev it up or hold the gas just to get out of the driveway. But I kept checking it, and noticed that I wasn't even on the dipstick after 3.5 quarts. I added the last quart, and it drives like my GS, maybe not as nice, but still noticeable difference, and no more tranny codes. Not to mention the old stuff was black, the new T-IV looks amazingly pink.
Anyways, I would check the level after it has sat all night, start it up in the morning and see if it is at the cold mark on the dipstick. Are you experiencing a leak or something where you might have lost some fluid? If you are going to drop the pan and change the filter, and such, it's about an hour or two job, nothing big, a couple of jack stands and a 10mm and a 1/4" ratchet, preferably air. There's like 18 bolts for the pan, you have to remove one 10mm holding the cooler lines so you can slide them aside, and once the pan is off the filter is held on by 3x10mm. I used Toyota sump pan silicone instead of the gasket.
Old 06-06-09, 10:30 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
Hey, now that you mention it. I dropped my pan, valve body and all that stuff. I lost a considerable amount of fluid as I had to add almost 4 quarts. So after 2-3 quarts I had nothing, I was worried the fluid was too new and clean and cause my tranny to go as I had to rev it up or hold the gas just to get out of the driveway. But I kept checking it, and noticed that I wasn't even on the dipstick after 3.5 quarts. I added the last quart, and it drives like my GS, maybe not as nice, but still noticeable difference, and no more tranny codes. Not to mention the old stuff was black, the new T-IV looks amazingly pink.
Anyways, I would check the level after it has sat all night, start it up in the morning and see if it is at the cold mark on the dipstick. Are you experiencing a leak or something where you might have lost some fluid? If you are going to drop the pan and change the filter, and such, it's about an hour or two job, nothing big, a couple of jack stands and a 10mm and a 1/4" ratchet, preferably air. There's like 18 bolts for the pan, you have to remove one 10mm holding the cooler lines so you can slide them aside, and once the pan is off the filter is held on by 3x10mm. I used Toyota sump pan silicone instead of the gasket.
My fluid was super pink/red after i flushed it all out from the DIY at lexls.com.

I did notice it was leaking only minutes before the flush but not then night before or after that. Strange.

Im not sure exactly what to do right now, will take it to my mechanic to check it out. I had the flush done at a friends house so well see

Quick Reply: Transmission Hell :(