LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Looking for opinion on coilovers on first gen

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-09, 01:15 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Looking for opinion on coilovers on first gen

I'm having some second thoughts about replacing my suspension with OEM parts and thinking about getting coilovers instead. But of course, I have a bunch of questions in regards to that. Now, before I ask any question, let me just say that I'm considering the coilovers because a set of four actually seems cheaper than a set of OEM springs/shocks/mounts/bumpers/etc. Now onto the questions.

1) First of all, I understand that coilovers are sold as an entire, assembled unit? I understand that I wont have to reuse any parts of the existing struts or the strut mounts, is that right?

2) Who makes quality coilovers for the first gen? I heard tons of good stuff about Tein CS from the 2GS guys, but Tein doesn't seem to make a setup for the 1st gens. I was searching ebay and it seems that theres a bunch of no-name stuff, and then there are Megan LP, but when it comes to Megan LP, some of them are listed as 90-00 and some are listed as 95-00. There aren't any that are listed as 90-94. Does that mean that first and second gens are compatible, or ebay just lists them wrong? They are listed with part numbers MR-CDK-LL91

3) If first and second gen are indeed compatible, can I just use Teins made for 95-00?

4) How will the ride quality be affected? If I do install them, I will adjust them to stock height and keep it this way, I am not interested at all in changing ride height. And I'm riding on stock size wheels as well - 16" rims from LS430 with 225/60/16 tires. So if I set these, most likely Megan LP, on their softest settings, how close to factory will they be? How hard are they to adjust from soft to firm?
Old 05-01-09, 01:24 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Guys I did some forum searching, and I see that Megans are compatible across first and second gens, so thats resolved. Now I read some posts that D2's are superior to Megans, but I can only find these for 95-00. Are they compatible with 90-94 as well?
Old 05-01-09, 06:56 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i don't see why the D2's woudlnt' work as well for a first gen.
i wonder why people say D2's are better than megans? have those people used both on their LS's? i doubt it.
i know the megans i have are wonderful. on teh softest setting, they ride well but handle much much better than stock. they're over a year old and still function perfectly.
and yes, coilovers completely replace the old stuff as a unit. no disassembly needed of your old struts.
Old 05-01-09, 06:59 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I love my megans!
Old 05-01-09, 07:58 AM
RandomHero
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have K-Sports on my car right now.

After riding around with them for about 3-4k miles now, I've been VERY impressed with the ride quality of the car. I am constantly driving 70miles a day on very crappy Atlanta roads, and they have not only held up extremely well, but handles the cars weight and absorbs bumps quite well.

I had a few buddys in my car this past weekend for a big car show here in Atlanta (Import Alliance) and after following down a TON of cars (seriously, like 20 in our caravan), just watching the other cars bounce around and looking in the rear view mirror and seeing MY passengers leaned back, comfortable as can be and almost tucking RIM, it was an understatement to say that the coilovers were better than average.

From a ride quality and to a build quality standpoint, I'd strongly stand by my K-Sports any day of the week.

Here is a picture of how low we were crusing the ENTIRE time going 75-90mph hitting pretty much every pot hole in sight (their pretty unavoidable!!)

BTW - my setup is K-Sport suspension on 18x9.5 +15 fronts and 18x10 -5 rears.

Old 05-01-09, 08:51 AM
Li Ls4
Lexus Champion

megans love em

but if ur not lookin to go lower, then y choose coilovers, its no oem quality ride

Last edited by Li Ls4; 05-01-09 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-01-09, 11:03 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Li Ls4
megans love em

but if ur not lookin to go lower, then y choose coilovers, its no oem quality ride
Well they are cheaper than OEM
Old 05-01-09, 12:32 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

what's being said is that coilovers are still not a replacement if your goal is stock height and OEM ride.

even at the softest setting, the Megans and every other coilover, while comfortable, isn't as floaty as OEM.

that being said, I LOVE my Megans.
Old 05-01-09, 06:48 PM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Wink

Yes Och, you will have to sacrifice either $ or ride quality. That being said I love my megans also, it was'nt as bad of a ride quality trade off as I thought it was going to be. They were stiff when I first got them in september and they got much smoother. I was someone who was worried about the ride quality also but I knew that going from stock to coilovers and 20's with 35 series front and 30 series rear tires was going to be a trade off.

To my surprise it was still pretty smooth. For example my friend just got a G35 sedan all stock and my car still rides much better. Maybe you can find a member locally that has megans and set up a test drive. I hope this helps you make a decision budy!
Old 05-01-09, 07:14 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Hey guys, I dont mind if its a little stiffer, I'm not an old fart, however I dont want it to bounce around like a civic. My other car is a GS430, and if Megans ride qualite is comparable to stock GS430 ride, I wont mind it. Plus I'm gonna be riding on stock 16's, and I don't plan on dropping my car at all.

Now, as far as the ride height goes, whats the easiest way to adjust them? I never dealt with coilover before, so forgive my ignorance. I just dont wanna deal with height and camber issues, I wanna put them in, put the car on the alignment machine, and have everything as close to perfect specs as possible. So lets say if I adjusted them to maximum height before I install them, would that be around stock height or would it still be lower or higher?

And one more thing, do they last? How many years can I expect out of them? My original shocks are 15 years old, and are still not completely shot, how many years can I expect out of megans?
Old 05-02-09, 08:20 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

And another question. Once I have the coilovers installed, how difficult is it to change the stiffness level?
Old 05-02-09, 08:41 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

the damper **** is on the top of the strut. maybe one day u can drive my car and see how it rides on semi stiff setting..
Old 05-03-09, 07:25 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
the damper **** is on the top of the strut. maybe one day u can drive my car and see how it rides on semi stiff setting..
That would be great. Let me know if theres going to be a meet or something in the near future.
Old 05-03-09, 11:37 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Actually there is a meet coming up on the 17th.
Old 05-04-09, 06:42 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Hey guys, I dont mind if its a little stiffer, I'm not an old fart, however I dont want it to bounce around like a civic. My other car is a GS430, and if Megans ride qualite is comparable to stock GS430 ride, I wont mind it. Plus I'm gonna be riding on stock 16's, and I don't plan on dropping my car at all.

Now, as far as the ride height goes, whats the easiest way to adjust them? I never dealt with coilover before, so forgive my ignorance. I just dont wanna deal with height and camber issues, I wanna put them in, put the car on the alignment machine, and have everything as close to perfect specs as possible. So lets say if I adjusted them to maximum height before I install them, would that be around stock height or would it still be lower or higher?

And one more thing, do they last? How many years can I expect out of them? My original shocks are 15 years old, and are still not completely shot, how many years can I expect out of megans?
to adjust them all you do is jack up the car and use the supplied wrenches to turn the threaded body up or down. really easy. you dont' even have to take the wheels off.
i coudln't tell you however how they will sit at maximum height.... never experiemented wtih how high they would go.
i dont' think anyone knows how long they will last either.... they haven't been around longe nough!
it's kind of a gamble for someone in your situation.

Quick Reply: Looking for opinion on coilovers on first gen