LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Strut mounts

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-09, 07:02 PM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut mounts

I need two front strut mounts. I know that I have to have an alignment done. Toyota wants $ 550.00 to install including the alignment. Is this reasonable?
Old 04-27-09, 07:27 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GKLCPA
I need two front strut mounts. I know that I have to have an alignment done. Toyota wants $ 550.00 to install including the alignment. Is this reasonable?
Just to clarify... Do you mean the mounts at the top of the shocks/struts, or the strut rods and bushings/cushions?
Old 04-27-09, 07:39 PM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

just the mounts at the top of the struts.
Old 04-27-09, 08:00 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just the mounts at the top of the struts.
Lexus dealer retail for part 5 and 6 below is about $123.00 per side. All Data quotes the standard labor to R&R both sides to be 1.3hrs total labor.
Attached Thumbnails Strut mounts-front-strut-exploded-view.gif  
Old 04-27-09, 08:11 PM
hobojoe
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so after reading about and just doing my coilovers id say its very high, but if your not mechanically inclined then go for it.....
Old 04-28-09, 07:57 AM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JimsGX
Lexus dealer retail for part 5 and 6 below is about $123.00 per side. All Data quotes the standard labor to R&R both sides to be 1.3hrs total labor.
Thanks much. I think I'm ok with their price then considering that it includes an alignment also. I know I could pick up the parts on line for half of the retail price listed above. I'm considering just ordering the parts and taking it to an indie to do. This doesn't seem that it's the type of thing that must be done by the dealer. Can any good mechanic handle this?
Old 04-28-09, 07:59 AM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

Also, would it make more sense just to get the entire strut and replace the whole thing? My car has 130K miles on it, so it's gonna need some new ones at some point.
Old 04-28-09, 08:28 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

buying new "struts" from toyota doesnt get you the mounts, it gets you just the shocks as iirc they don't sell the wholy assy. under one part no.
Old 04-28-09, 03:52 PM
glenmore
Driver School Candidate

You might consider trying to cultivate a long term relationship with a good local indie shop that specializes in Japanese cars. Like having a good plumber or CPA, these trusted relationships going forward can save you a lot of aggravation and $$. Otherwise you'll be at the mercy of the dealership for repairs such as this. Do some comparison shopping. They'll probably be around $250-350, and less if you bring the parts but remember most shops depend on parts markup as part of their profit. KYB shock mounts are about $60 each on ebay and pretty much OEM quality. You could become a DIYer but this takes some commitment. There is a decent investment in tools and unless you find it somewhat enjoyable to wrench, it may just become a chore.

After the dealer gets in there, they may tell you the shocks need replacing. I'm willing to bet they'll also nick you for new bumpers (#5) ~$15 each and new insulators (#4) ~$30 each. It adds up quickly.

130m on your shocks is pretty good service. They are probably due. If you are going to drive the car for awhile, might as well enjoy it with new shocks. There is a bit more additional work to change shocks but the majority is done just to get to the mount. Again a quote from a few indies will help you decide. The call from the dealer, mid repair, will probably cost you into 4 figures.

What symptoms do you have and I take it the dealer did the diagnosis?

glenmore
1990 LS400
1991 300CE
2000 C280
Old 04-28-09, 07:40 PM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

Thanks Glenmore,

The DIY thing is not for me mainly because I just don't have the time and tools. I did take the car in for a second opinion today. Basically, I'm getting a loud clunk from the lower part of the front suspension when I brake hard or go over bumps. As it turns out, the strut mounts may not be the problem at all. Here's what they say are the problems now, which I visually inspected with them:

1) Worn sway bar bushings
2) Worn lower control arm bushings
3) Worn engine and transmission mounts

Basically, the common suspension and mount problems with an LS this age. I'm not convinced that the engine and trans mounts need to be done right now, but I'll see what they quote me and check back here. I'll probably break this work up over the next few months and just get the bushings done on the sway bar and the LCA for now.

Originally Posted by glenmore
You might consider trying to cultivate a long term relationship with a good local indie shop that specializes in Japanese cars. Like having a good plumber or CPA, these trusted relationships going forward can save you a lot of aggravation and $$. Otherwise you'll be at the mercy of the dealership for repairs such as this. Do some comparison shopping. They'll probably be around $250-350, and less if you bring the parts but remember most shops depend on parts markup as part of their profit. KYB shock mounts are about $60 each on ebay and pretty much OEM quality. You could become a DIYer but this takes some commitment. There is a decent investment in tools and unless you find it somewhat enjoyable to wrench, it may just become a chore.

After the dealer gets in there, they may tell you the shocks need replacing. I'm willing to bet they'll also nick you for new bumpers (#5) ~$15 each and new insulators (#4) ~$30 each. It adds up quickly.

130m on your shocks is pretty good service. They are probably due. If you are going to drive the car for awhile, might as well enjoy it with new shocks. There is a bit more additional work to change shocks but the majority is done just to get to the mount. Again a quote from a few indies will help you decide. The call from the dealer, mid repair, will probably cost you into 4 figures.

What symptoms do you have and I take it the dealer did the diagnosis?

glenmore
1990 LS400
1991 300CE
2000 C280
Old 04-28-09, 07:42 PM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
buying new "struts" from toyota doesnt get you the mounts, it gets you just the shocks as iirc they don't sell the wholy assy. under one part no.
Thanks Pure
Old 04-28-09, 08:09 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

befire anything else, replace the lower strut rods (aka radius arms)
Old 04-29-09, 03:47 PM
glenmore
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Glenmore,

The DIY thing is not for me mainly because I just don't have the time and tools. I did take the car in for a second opinion today. Basically, I'm getting a loud clunk from the lower part of the front suspension when I brake hard or go over bumps. As it turns out, the strut mounts may not be the problem at all. Here's what they say are the problems now, which I visually inspected with them:

1) Worn sway bar bushings
2) Worn lower control arm bushings
3) Worn engine and transmission mounts

Basically, the common suspension and mount problems with an LS this age. I'm not convinced that the engine and trans mounts need to be done right now, but I'll see what they quote me and check back here. I'll probably break this work up over the next few months and just get the bushings done on the sway bar and the LCA for now.
Good thing you got another opinion. Suspecting shock mounts for noise in an old front end suspension is a low probability stab in the dark. Sway bar bushings are easy and relatively cheap. In general I think clunks tend to be from worn ball joints and they can come from broken shock mounts. Engine mounts will clunk when shifting from P to D, etc. I was shocked at what my indie said he would charge for engine mounts, only about $100 per side labor only. I spent all day doing them! Your mileage suggests, shocks are near gone, engine mounts are probably gone, tie rods are suspect as well as any joint in the front suspension. Whatever shop you select, they should be able to have the car on a hoist and grab the offending part and show you that part of the suspension that is loose and needs replacing.

With my suspension noise, I started with shocks and it wasn't cured until I had also done sway bushings and strut bar cushions.

Good luck,

glenmore
1990 LS400
Old 04-30-09, 07:57 PM
bighairjer
Driver School Candidate

Exact same symptoms I had on my 96. My issue was strut rod bushings (cushions), and I replaced them myself. A decent shop will put it on a rack and show you the damage to the bushings.
Old 05-20-09, 08:49 PM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

I got my bushings and strut rods in and am having them installed tomorrow. I got quotes from two indies. One wanted $ 700+ just to install the parts (claimed this would require 10 hours) while the other guy quoted half of that for the same thing. Obviously, I went with the cheaper guy. Hopefully the clunking that's driving me nuts stops tomorrow. I plan on taking pre-emptive action on the motor and trans mounts later this summer.

One thing I found however was that I could not purchase strut rod cushions separately. From what I was told, they're part of the strut rods. I ordered everything from mylexparts.com and the rods ran about 200 for the pair.