LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS 400 will not start

Old 03-25-09, 12:30 PM
jmcintire3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS 400 will not start

Hello.. I just bought my 92 Lexus Ls 400 about a month ago. It was not running when I bought it, trying to get a great car for a little bit of nothing.. It is in pretty good shape for a 92, but it won't start. I checked the wiring harness in the trunk, it looks good. The fuel pump has been changed via the previous owner. It is getting spark to all cylinders as I have checked, it cranks over real strong but nothing. The odometer says 110xxx miles, not sure if that is accurate but that's what it says. If anybody could please help it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-25-09, 12:49 PM
qewani1
Lead Lap

If car only cranks or clicks without starting...then
Try to search in forums about starter // starting problem. U can just change starter's contacts and plunger, check this thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...os-inside.html
Old 03-25-09, 02:56 PM
jmcintire3
Driver School Candidate

Default LS 400 will not start

The starter is fine, the motor is cranking over just fine, just will not start, I have good battery, good connections to battery, I have cleaned rotors and distributor caps, I have been reading a lot of forums in here but have come up with nothing, please help, thanks.
Old 03-26-09, 06:59 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

its either spark or fuel...it could be any number of things
Old 03-26-09, 08:45 AM
qewani1
Lead Lap

1- Try to clean air filter, maybe engine isnt getting enough air.
2- Try to clean the TB
3- Try to adjust the TPS (Throttle Positioning Sensor) to allow more air into engine.
4- Starter maybe weak so the starter drive gear isnt giving enough truns to run/ crank the engine.
Read the DTC codes with a reader.
Old 03-26-09, 02:25 PM
EastWind
Driver

do a complete tune up. spark plug wires, spark plug, distributor cap and rotors, air filter.
Old 03-26-09, 02:30 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

dont do anything until u get ur car diagnosed...u start throwing parts at it, like tune up and such, u r only wasting ur money
Old 03-26-09, 04:42 PM
AzHotLS
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even if the CEL is off, you may want to see if there any codes:

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/intro/codereading.html

I agree with python, diagnose first before throwing parts at it.
Old 03-26-09, 04:54 PM
bokomba
Driver School Candidate

i agree with azhotls check for engine codes first go to: www.lexls.com/tutorials you will get plenty of info including how to check for codes. Good luck
Old 03-26-09, 04:57 PM
bokomba
Driver School Candidate

azhotls already gave the site didnt even see that my bad
Old 03-26-09, 06:25 PM
Yotarip
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcintire3
Hello.. I just bought my 92 Lexus Ls 400 about a month ago. It was not running when I bought it, trying to get a great car for a little bit of nothing.. It is in pretty good shape for a 92, but it won't start. I checked the wiring harness in the trunk, it looks good. The fuel pump has been changed via the previous owner. It is getting spark to all cylinders as I have checked, it cranks over real strong but nothing. The odometer says 110xxx miles, not sure if that is accurate but that's what it says. If anybody could please help it would be greatly appreciated.
Since you are getting spark, check for fuel pressure. You said the previous owner changed the fuel pump but you dont know if it was done correctly. I would do a quick check by just loosening (NOT REMOVE) one of the fuel supply banjo bolts to the fuel rail and have a friend to quickly turn the motor over as you look for fuel to spray from the bolt. Be careful of the possible fuel spray and only turn it over for a second.

Some people are quick to suspect a bad fuel pump when it could be a bad fuel pump relay.
Old 03-27-09, 03:23 PM
jmcintire3
Driver School Candidate

Default Ls 400

Thanks alot guys for the site I will see if I can pull some codes on it. Today I pulled out every spark plug and cleaned and checked each for spark, I figured they would all spark but was just checking. I do believe it has something to do with the fuel issue, I was concerned about whom ever changed the fuel pump if they knew what the were doing, I can still see the gas tank and pump and all in the trunk still exposed, I will try and pull some codes.. thanks alot .... will update
Old 03-27-09, 03:56 PM
jmcintire3
Driver School Candidate

Default Ls 400

***Quick Update***Ok I just tried to pull codes and there are none, it just blinks non stop. I also unscrewed the bolt a little bit on top of fuel rail, 17mm I believe and had a friend turn it over real quick and gas sprayed out the sides of bolt real well. any more suggestions,, thanks alot..
Old 03-27-09, 06:05 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

ECU might be toasted?
Old 03-27-09, 06:40 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by python
dont do anything until u get ur car diagnosed...u start throwing parts at it, like tune up and such, u r only wasting ur money
i agree with diagnosing but tune ups are not a waste of money....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS 400 will not start