LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Headlights stay on if door/trunk open

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-09, 09:42 PM
Spacepig
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights stay on if door/trunk open

I have noticed that if I park my '98 with the lights on and leave a door (ok, I don't usualy leave a door open on purpose) or the trunk open, the headlights will stay on indefinitely. I suppose this is just the car trying to be helpful; it figures that either you are unloading something, or it doesn't want you to forget that you have left the trunk open. Great if you're parked in a driveway and forgot to close the trunk. But if I pull into the garage, purposely open the trunk and go into the house, the headlights remain on until I return. Anyone know if there is a way to turn this "feature" off?
Old 03-23-09, 10:15 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

it times out after a couple minutes on my car.

might need to have a setting changed, search the forum for LS400 CBEST or something like that
Old 03-23-09, 11:25 PM
Spacepig
Rookie

I found the list of adjustable settings, but there does not seem to be one for this. But thanks for reminding me about the list, because I realized that ths problem may only occur when the lights are in "on" mode, as contrasted to "auto." I prefer to use "auto," but find that the auto setting doesn't turn the lights on as soon as I want them at dusk; by getting the sensitivity setting adjusted, perhaps I can keep the lights in auto mode and avoid this admittedly minor (at least until it drain the battery) issue.
Old 03-24-09, 07:12 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

It is normal for the headlights and all other exterior lights to stay on when the switch is in the auto position and while a door or the trunk lid is open. It works that way on my 2000 LS400.

If I want the exterior lights turn off immediately, I flick the switch from auto to off and then back to auto.

It sounds like the best setting of the "LIGHT OFF DELAY" for you would be "OFF" so that the exterior lights would turn off immediately when you open a door.

My "LIGHT OFF DELAY" is currently set to the standard 30 seconds but it might be better for us if was set to 60 or 90 seconds. When parking on poorly or unlit streets or in people's driveways I try to position the car so its headlights light up our path so we can see as we walk away from the car.

When parking outside at night and when I don't want to use the LIGHT OFF DELAY, I just press the lock button on the key a second time to turn the lights off immediately.
Old 03-25-09, 11:27 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

In mine, in "ON" mode, if you turn off the engine before opening the door, then they will turn off once you open the door.

If you turn off the engine after the door has been opened, it will wait for a while before turning them off.
Old 03-25-09, 11:51 PM
Spacepig
Rookie

I suppose the answer is as Kansas says, to turn the lights from auto to off and back. I like the delay feature most of the time (except when parking less than legaly); beside, I'm not sure changing the delay setting would make a difference if the trunk was open; I think the lights would still stay on. The problem is not a big deal; it just surprised me since all the other little conveniences are so well thought out and consistent with how I use the car. I guess I'm getting spoiled by perfection.