LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

power steering fluid freshen' up

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-09, 11:57 AM
atoyot
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default power steering fluid freshen' up

We all know that Toyota and Lexus vehicles are notorious for bad power steering. Either the pumps, gear box or lines usually end up leaking, seals go bad or something.

Knowing this for a fact and knowing how much of a PITA this can be from my land cruiser, i decided to pop the cover on my power steering reservoir today and check the fluid. I wish i would have had my camera with me The fluid was black, almost like tar. It was horrible.

What i decided to do was use a large surenge (sp?) that is used to bleed brakes. It is clear so you can see the fluid you are pulling out. I pulled out 4 surenges of old fluid and replaced with 4 surenges of fresh Mobil 1 ATF. I did this several times over the weekend after driving and now the fluid is pretty clean.

I would advise you to take a look at your PS fluid and change if needed. Only took a few minutes of my time. The steering did seem noticeably smoother and the wheel was easier to turn. No groaning or buzzing and no air in the system.
Old 03-23-09, 02:00 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

or u could've also done the flush on the lexls tutorial.
Old 03-24-09, 10:19 AM
atoyot
Pole Position

i thought about the flush, but seems every time i have tried that on other vehicles i get air in the system. This is the safest and easiest way IMHO.
Old 03-25-09, 02:26 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I use my Rear Diff suction pump in this same fashion on the PS fluid.
I have been refilling with Royal Purple PS fluid for quite awhile now.
Easy, 2 minute operation.
Old 03-25-09, 03:25 PM
AzHotLS
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't suck it out!! Unscrew the solenoid at the rack and let drain out. While you're at it, clean the solenoid screen. Kill two birds with one stone!

The solenoid screen should be cleaned every couple years to minimize the problems the OP mentions.
Old 04-19-09, 09:48 AM
atoyot
Pole Position

I will check into that. Thanks for the heads-up.

I have attached a pic of what came out...
Attached Thumbnails power steering fluid freshen' up-ls-400-power-steering-fluid-001-medium-.jpg  
Old 04-19-09, 09:49 AM
atoyot
Pole Position

verses what went in.
Attached Thumbnails power steering fluid freshen' up-ls-400-power-steering-fluid-002-medium-.jpg  
Old 04-19-09, 11:15 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

whoooooo that is nasty. how did u do it without getting any air in?
Old 04-20-09, 05:21 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Even if you get air in, shoudn't it just bleed out if you leave your reservual cap open, and turn the steering wheel lock to lock several times?
Old 04-20-09, 07:16 AM
atoyot
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Och
Even if you get air in, shoudn't it just bleed out if you leave your reservual cap open, and turn the steering wheel lock to lock several times?
Don't we all wish it was that easy!

You can bleed it out, but once air get's sucked down into the system it's really hard to get it out.

I just used that supersized surrenge to suck out from the reservoir and replace with new. Do it once a week and after a few weeks you will have changed out most of the fluid with new and no air in the system.

Or, you can do a complete flush, but that takes more time and introduces a much more likely hood of getting air into the system.
Old 04-20-09, 08:50 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Damn, and I was planning to replace my high pressure PS hose, because I think its leaking. How do I replace it without introducing air to the system?
Old 04-20-09, 09:04 AM
atoyot
Pole Position

you will get some air into the system, just put the front up on jack stand and turn the wheel fully from side to side before starting the motor and letting the pump help. Be patient and you should be fine.

Not much of a way around it when you change hoses or pumps. With what i did i was just trying to keep it simple. On my land cruiser i tried doing the flush and got air in the system. It literally took me a month to get it all out. I had a groan in the system for almost a month.
Old 04-20-09, 09:21 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by atoyot
you will get some air into the system, just put the front up on jack stand and turn the wheel fully from side to side before starting the motor and letting the pump help. Be patient and you should be fine.

Not much of a way around it when you change hoses or pumps. With what i did i was just trying to keep it simple. On my land cruiser i tried doing the flush and got air in the system. It literally took me a month to get it all out. I had a groan in the system for almost a month.

Thats crazy, how did you get it out? Just by driving it eventually comes out, or did you have to do something else?

How do the dealerships bleed it when they replace pumps/racks?
Old 04-20-09, 10:00 AM
atoyot
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Och
Thats crazy, how did you get it out? Just by driving it eventually comes out, or did you have to do something else?

How do the dealerships bleed it when they replace pumps/racks?
I am not sure. I could look in the FSM to see what the method is for the LS.

Yes, eventually the air came out, but i had to put the front on jack stand 3 times in a month working the wheel from side to side to finally get it all out.