LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Overfilled Transmission - Serious?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-09, 05:58 PM
margarita
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overfilled Transmission - Serious?

Checked tranny fluid today (following owner's manual instructions) and it is registering 1/2 inch above the 'hot' marker on the dipstick when the car is at normal operation temperatire (checked while car was idling, on level ground, and in park). I have read it's not good at all to overfill the transmission. The fluid was changed out by a certified lexus mechanic (not a dealer) approximately 1.5 years ago, so it's been that way all this time (for 1.5 years). Color is cherry red. Is this amount of overfill serious? I noticed seepage around the transmission seal, which is one of the reasons I checked the fluid (I also checked it because I was having a leaking coolant issue, but that problem does not appear to be related to the transmission). Do I need to take it in and have them drain out some of the fluid? Thanks for any comments. Ok to leave as is?
Old 03-02-09, 07:35 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, you never overfill the transmission. It builds up hydraulic pressure into the tranmission casing.

My uncle brought his Toyota Camry to a Toyota certified mechanic who overfilled, while driving on the freeway, the stuff shot up and all throughout his engine bay. It looked like the engine went toast and freaked the hell outta him. He took it back and they cleaned up the engine bay. There was so much pressure, believe it or not, the dipstick shot up and out of the holder.
Old 03-02-09, 07:43 PM
margarita
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by avalon42
Yes, you never overfill the transmission. It builds up hydraulic pressure into the tranmission casing.

My uncle brought his Toyota Camry to a Toyota certified mechanic who overfilled, while driving on the freeway, the stuff shot up and all throughout his engine bay. It looked like the engine went toast and freaked the hell outta him. He took it back and they cleaned up the engine bay. There was so much pressure, believe it or not, the dipstick shot up and out of the holder.
had no idea the pressure could be that great. thanks for the info. i better get some drained out. maddening to pay someone to do work, and learn all this time later that it was done improperly. i hope running it this way hasn't caused any damage.
Old 03-02-09, 09:22 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, the transmission has a breather tube separate from the dipstick. From what I could see of his car, that was blowing fluid out as well. Not a good thing.

It could also be that they were using the wrong fluid, besides overfilling it. I wouldn't rely on the color the fluid to tell if it is proper or not. If you do some searching on the forum, you will see most recommend using Type IV Toyota OEM fluid.