LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Newbie that is looking at a LS400 to own. Need your Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-09, 05:46 PM
scoobabob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Newbie that is looking at a LS400 to own. Need your Help

http://www.carandtrucknation.com/veh...-lexus-ls400-2

Ok. I have been looking at a few Lexus Ls400. I have fallen in love with these cars and know this is what I want. I have found them at a very price. I have been researching and came across this one. This one is specially loaded with stock airbags and adjustable height. The price for this one is 4995.00. It was bought from a dealer by a smaller dealer.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

This is the other one I found. It was a one owner that a couple traded in. From what I was told, everything has been maintained well. They fixed everything on time.

So please, if you can offer some advice. Again I am new and looking forward to getting a great car I will enjoy. W

What do I look for? For the price does it seem worth it.

I thank you.

Bryan
Old 03-01-09, 06:30 PM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

The 2LS looks like a good deal. Push it hard while your test drive w/o warming up. Check EVERYTHING you and makes sure there aren't any leaks. Sorry I don't know what else to say because my 1LS still runs like a champ.
Old 03-01-09, 06:43 PM
dixiebuyer
Driver School Candidate

Default I would go for the 2gen (97) as well

Air suspension would scare me despite lower price. See if you can look through the owner's manuals and see if either had the 90K service done by a dealer. That is when the timing belt is changed.

I think you will be very happy with your new ride.
Old 03-01-09, 07:50 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

is that a dent in the front left fender of the gen 2?
Old 03-01-09, 08:27 PM
Mugen_1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$4,995 for a '97 with 108,000?? Man, I paid $11,300 for my '97 with 97,000 on it two years ago. Car looks clean though, though I can't say I much care for those wheels (which I have a feeling you would do something about anyway).

Not sure if it's a maintenance thing for our cars or if it just randomly happened to me, but my fuel pump went out around the 101,000 mile mark. Ran me nearly $700 at the local Toyota dealer. Just something you may want to check.

Looks good
Old 03-01-09, 08:27 PM
scoobabob
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys for the help. I didn't even notice that fender. It looks like a dent to me as well, but then it looks like the reflection of the guy taking the picture.

Yeah the 97 looks like a great deal. The air suspension does scare me, because if it does go out, I'm sure it will be quite expensive. Is that interchangeable if if it does go out, can i install coilovers?

My best friend works at lexus, so I got a little hookup, I think I will need it.

I really like the 97 model, but the dealer who is selling the 92 had more to say about it than the dealer of the 97. Hopefully I will get one of these cars within the week.

Last edited by scoobabob; 03-01-09 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-01-09, 09:02 PM
scoobabob
Driver School Candidate

Well just ran a carfax. The 97 was registered as a Carfax car, Claimed as a One owner car for 11yrs. It also said it was registered to a county that was in the houston flood in 2005. I'm thinking katrina. It said that vehicles may not be damaged, but check it.

The 97 car seems like a good deal for the price and being that the owner actually cared for the car according to carmax.

The 92 was a 2 owner car. Not registered as a carfax car. But all inspections have been passed.
Old 03-01-09, 09:26 PM
VIS250P
Lexus Champion

Get it damn it!!!
Old 03-01-09, 09:38 PM
JBrewster
Driver

That 97 is a steal. Or maybe my car is worthless now...
Old 03-01-09, 10:13 PM
scoobabob
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JBrewster
That 97 is a steal. Or maybe my car is worthless now...
I've been without a car for months. LOL. I just been searching. I just hope the saying "too good to be true" does not come into play.

Believe me your car is not worthless.
Old 03-02-09, 10:44 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i like the 97 for that price....
watch that air susp. if it dies, yes you can replace it with standard susp. coilovers. they bolt right in.
Old 03-02-09, 11:34 AM
scoobabob
Driver School Candidate

So the choice came down to the 97 fellas! Damn I am so excited to get this car. I will driving to houston on saturday morning to pick up the car. I am from san antonio! The carfax came up extra clean and from talking to the dealers it confirmed my choice. I will post a print screen of the lexus soon.
Old 03-02-09, 03:55 PM
AzHotLS
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by python
is that a dent in the front left fender of the gen 2?
I think it has one in the rear left quarter panel above the wheel well also, very clean otherwise. It looks like the tint on the rear right window is seperating. Tell them to knock off $50 bucks because of that!!

Nice wheels!! It looks like the engine bay has been detailed so if there are any leaks, it will be hard to spot. Be sure to look at the lower side of the power steering pump to look for signs of a leak.

I would suggest that you make an appointment with an independent mechanic in Houston near the dealer to take it to and have them do a pre-purchase inspection, should cost you about $80 but will let you know if there's anything major you should look out for before you hand over your money. If the dealer is reputable, they will allow you to do that. With an appointment, it should only take an hour.

Good luck.
Old 03-02-09, 07:23 PM
asianrob
Driver

those are pretty nice! you could always buy my 1ls i'm Oklahoma haha. might not be your color tho since it looks like you like the
Old 03-02-09, 08:07 PM
margarita
Rookie

Originally Posted by 19psi
i like the 97 for that price....
watch that air susp. if it dies, yes you can replace it with standard susp. coilovers. they bolt right in.
yes, he could, but why would he want to? the car would no longer have the lexus ride. better to go to arnott industries (online) and get reman or new air suspension springs, two for the front will run $750. the same product through Toyota (where...it's been years...but the last time I checked, they were about one grand apiece!) costs an arm and a leg by comparison, and arnott gives a lifetime warranty...

i agree the '97 looks nice. i would ask to see the repair records (those should be available if the owners were as careful as they claim), and check to see whether the timing belt was serviced at 90K. a lot of places recommend replacing the water pump at the same time as the timing belt, so does it have a new water pump as well?

i would also have a certified mechanic at a dealership give it a full/thorough inspection. it would be worth the expense of having your own inspection done. here that would cost around $135. they can test the ecu, and just about everything else, hoses and the like.

i drive a '94 with low mileage, but still have had to replace quite a lot...the power steering system (constant problem with failing power steering pump, so finally just replaced the whole system to get rid of contamination that was behind the problem), the timing belt, radiator, and waterpump, and the front shocks. i think we also did the idle up valve at some point.

anyway, that one won't last if it is as good as they say. be prudent, and get your questions answered now, so you can make a decision before someone else does.

also, i wouln't buy anything at all until you have looked at quite a few of these cars. sounds as though you are ready to buy though.

Quick Reply: Newbie that is looking at a LS400 to own. Need your Help