LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Urgent! Timing belt install/line-up question!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-14, 07:31 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by randal
Well thanks for finding my tutorial "humorous to the extreme". That's why I took the time and pains to publish it...for your amusement.

Here's the deal. You can use the marks on the belt to get the initial alignment set. I know the OEM belts are plainly marked and if you align the belt marks with the marks on the cam pulleys and crank, you should have perfect timing. However, the REAL proof of correct timing is not in the belt markings but rather the metal stamping in the pulleys and engine. Those marks are permanent and are the ONLY ones you should ultimately use to decide if your timing is correct. I just got done with replacing a 92 LS400 belt and the timing was dead on with the stampings after initially using the belt markings to install the belt with the tensioner installed (though pin not yet pulled). After pulling the tensioner pin, we rotated the crank 720 degrees and verified that the stamped marks were exactly on. Engine ran perfectly.

I do not know why you are sounding some kind of alarm that all of this is now somehow incorrect.
Now I know who you are on this forum landar lol. Anyway Your tutorial is the BEST one that I found on the web and I've searched a LOT. I really just think the poster is somewhat confused on the procedure as we sometimes seem to get when we don't completely understand what the instructions are telling us to do. At least I do. Plus I really don't see how the belt would not line up right if you set the crank at TDC before taking the old one off. Most ppl get confused after they put the belt on using the belt markings then turn the crank to realize that the belt markings don't line up anymore. At that point they should be looking at the markings on the pulleys.
Old 06-20-14, 10:12 AM
CLRH2O
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No guys, that's really not it.

And I apologize for the "extreme" comment Randal. Your tut is very much one of the best on the net, it obviously wasn't created for my amusement - I shouldn't have belittled it.

Because you said you just did a 1992 LS and it worked - possibly this points to some special circumstance?

All I can speak to is that each of the independent shop mechanics, Lexus dealership mechanics, and private people who have done this job that I've asked in person - have all said exactly the same thing: "Advance the crank by one tooth - or do the job over again."

Again: If you follow the factory shop manual instructions which tell you to line up the belt's white marks with the crank and cams when set to TDC (crank) and aligned to the metal marks on the black shields (cams)... and then you release the hydraulic tensioner, Bam, that's it. The cams will rotate counter clockwise out of perfect timing. If you start the car, there is very little power, it shudders under throttle, and if you leave the motor running, within a few minutes you'll have a glowing passenger side (USDM models - obviously right hand drive would be "drivers" side in this case) cat and exhaust manifold.

This actually looks very much like what happens when you loose one side or the other's coil pack (glowing manifolds and cats) - but in this case it's due to not setting the belt off by one tooth on the crank.

I know - it sounds completely wacky - but that's why all the "alarm".

If you lived in my area (Tampa FL), I invite you to my spot to see for yourself. It's a comfortable working space (all things considered) and I'll supply the tools, beers and food

Last edited by CLRH2O; 06-20-14 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-23-14, 06:05 PM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, all I know is that of the three Lexus engines that I have done thus far, I have never had to advance the crank by one tooth to compensate for the tensioner. I get the belt marks lined up perfectly, pull the tensioner pin and then rotate the crank two revs and recheck the permanent engine marks. They have aligned perfectly and confirm the initial belt markings. The engines have then all run flawlessly as well. Maybe it is different for others, but I have had no issues with the FSM procedure.
The following users liked this post:
Dinocards (03-03-21)