LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

My 95 UCF20 got bashed

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-09, 02:44 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My 95 UCF20 got bashed

Sad to report my pristine UCF20 got rear ended last night in rush hour Houston. They young guy hit me and forced me into a pickup truck with a ridiculous boat hitch. It punched a huge hole in my front bumper.

The good news is the guy that hit me had insurance and got the ticket. The guy I hit took off and did not stop.

I got a police report afterwards and filed a claim with his insurance carrier this morning.

Other good news is my Junction Produce grille was not damaged - nor my stainless exhaust. Also there is no metal damage so it seems like the old LS can be repaired nicely

Question is, is it possible for his insurance company to deny fixing my front end? The way I see it they are responsible regardless. Any of you guys had a similar experience?
Old 02-11-09, 03:00 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by steveski
Sad to report my pristine UCF20 got rear ended last night in rush hour Houston. They young guy hit me and forced me into a pickup truck with a ridiculous boat hitch. It punched a huge hole in my front bumper.

The good news is the guy that hit me had insurance and got the ticket. The guy I hit took off and did not stop.

I got a police report afterwards and filed a claim with his insurance carrier this morning.

Other good news is my Junction Produce grille was not damaged - nor my stainless exhaust. Also there is no metal damage so it seems like the old LS can be repaired nicely

Question is, is it possible for his insurance company to deny fixing my front end? The way I see it they are responsible regardless. Any of you guys had a similar experience?
Damn drug runners. steveski, what you trying to do? Put them out of business?

Insurance company has to cover both parts of the impact. The fact that the other person failed to stop and report the accident has nothing to do with their responsibility in coverage of the damage. The insurance company may try to strong-arm you to cover the deductible for the front (or claim it was pre-existing damage from an unrelated damage). Screw them, make them pay for it. If not, I'd be looking for an injury-accident lawyer that will make up for it.
Old 02-11-09, 03:49 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

oh man this was better than i thought, when i first read the title i thought someone vandalized ur car. hope all goes well with insurance.
Old 02-11-09, 03:52 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
oh man this was better than i thought, when i first read the title i thought someone vandalized ur car. hope all goes well with insurance.
You had me scared Steve. Glad to know it wasn't that bad. It could have been much worse.
Old 02-11-09, 04:11 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Really glad to know that it was not a total loss. Also glad to know that you are ok, and were able to walk away.
Old 02-11-09, 04:12 PM
EUBT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Unfortunately,the way I understand it, insurance corps like to spread the pain amongst all parties involved in a collision. They'll most likely argue that you should have the licence number of the pickup driver. Even if you did, they won't want to cover his share. His insurance would cover that portion. It seems ridiculous that if I'm sitting still at a stop and some is pushed into my rear end, that my insurance has to cover any of the damage or assume any of the responsibility. That's just the way they like to play it. Good luck.
Old 02-11-09, 04:29 PM
MEANDAFAKA
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey man, sorry to hear that. and from what i have read, the guy in front of you might not have insurance, and maybe thats why he dig out. but damn man, sucks that crap like this happen all the tims.
Old 02-11-09, 10:08 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

damn steve, this sucks, but the title scared me more than what actually happened.

time to get new front/rear bumpers, admiration or JP anyone? lol
Old 02-12-09, 08:27 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Ha ha thanks all - Yea I guess I am lucky the dude wasn't going much faster. Even at 5 MPH as he says it knocked me pretty good. I am curious what the dealer will quote to replace/prime and paint new bumpers and replace chrome strip(s). It could be several thousand $. I get apprasial tomorrow so we will see.

Yeah, aftermarket bumpers would be nice I will have to hang my exhaust if they don't cut to fit the tips.

Thankfully I got a Police report - without it I would have trouble.
Old 02-12-09, 08:48 AM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Sorry to hear. Are you okay, no wiplash? At least it wasn't that bad and you still have your LS. Remember I wasn't so lucky back in September.
Old 02-12-09, 09:55 AM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear that man. That's really too bad.

They can try to say you were too close to the vehicle in front of you. Local places have done that to a couple friends of mine.
Old 02-12-09, 11:00 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

Glad you are ok. I'd much rather have the plastic stuff busted than sheet metal. I suspect the causing party will pay both accounts so no worries. His citation nails him. I've had my bumpers done so much the past 2 years, I was joking with the body shop about a standing order.

Front (stock) ~$597, rear ~$450, two stage paint for both with prep about $1K, the chrome trim $130 each. About 4-6 days total shop time, I forget the actual work hours per bumper. Enjoy the rental car.
Old 02-12-09, 12:40 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

I am hoping many of you are right that I won't have to jerk around with the offender's insurance co.

No whiplash thankfully - just depression that my once cool ride is now flawed Thanks for the idea on repairs - I figured it could reach $3-$4k. I will post actual numbers once I get them.

Yea the rental car will have to do. The last time I had rear bumper painted I got stuck with a Jeep Grand Cherokee
Old 02-12-09, 02:12 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by steveski
I am hoping many of you are right that I won't have to jerk around with the offender's insurance co.

No whiplash thankfully - just depression that my once cool ride is now flawed Thanks for the idea on repairs - I figured it could reach $3-$4k. I will post actual numbers once I get them.

Yea the rental car will have to do. The last time I had rear bumper painted I got stuck with a Jeep Grand Cherokee
You could just drive your 350z LOL
Old 02-12-09, 02:19 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

wtf u have a 350z too? damn lol.

pd spilled the beanns

Quick Reply: My 95 UCF20 got bashed