LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

first issue--turn over, no start. 00' model

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-09, 07:13 AM
atoyot
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default first issue--turn over, no start. 00' model

i'm talking about a 00 model LS 400 with 50,000 miles on it.

I had my first issue with my great car last night. Got ready to head over to watch the super bowl after washing my car (did not wash the engine at all), jump in and it turns over and over but no start? I knew it was either no spark or no fuel. So i popped the hood and looked at the EFI fuse. Not blown kept looking at all the fuses, no blown fuses.

I did not smell gas in the exhaust after trying to start it so i was leaning towards the fuel issue.

I read on here about wiring at the trunk hinge; so i went back there and started looking. I did find a very small bundle of wires in a corrugated protective sleeve that had worn through the sleeve exposing a wire. The wire did not look like it had rubbed through the insulation, but it was worn. So i wiggled it around, squeezed it ect... Cranked it a few times and it finally started, but was smoking It looked like a fuel smoke and not an oil smoke (was not blueish in color)

So anyways, it did finally start. I drove it around the block a few times, turned it off and cranked it. So far so good.

On a side note, one thing i have noticed using my butt sensor is that it feels like it has lost a little pep. It also seems like it's running a bit rich as well. Every so often when i put my foot in it you can see dark smoke from the tail pipes. Is this normal? First thing i thought was air was getting into the intake past the MAF causing an improper air/fuel mixture. But the intake was in great shape, new filter, no leaks that i could find.

I did change the oil as it was time. it has helped a bit but it still feels a bit off from when i first purchased it. Maybe i'm just getting used to it.
Old 02-02-09, 11:27 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

fuel filter might be clogged up. also, the smoke was probably from the engine being partially flooded.

check fuel filter and spark plugs, at that low mileage they might be original, i'd replace them just from the time perspective.
Old 02-02-09, 12:25 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

waste of time even thinking of it being the fuel filter,for it to not start the fuel filter would have to be so clogged up you would have to have ur tank full of crap and would need to be dropped and cleaned out, the fuel pump that is in the tank has a screen on it to prevent sediment from going into ur system...these fuel filters rarely if ever need changing
Old 02-02-09, 12:46 PM
atoyot
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had planned on changing out the plugs within the month just for the heck of it.

I admit that putting that wire harness right on the trunk hinge is pretty stupid on Toyota/lexus's part.