LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Transmission Shifter Stuck

Old 01-28-09, 08:15 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Transmission Shifter Stuck

Has this happened to anybody? Temps are in the 10-15 degrees here. Lots of snow on the ground. Car drives fine.

Been shifting it from D3 to 2 while driving. Totaly drive was about 17 miles.

By mile 6 once on the highway, car on 4, no problem. However as I am exiting try to downshift, no movement of shift lever It goes from D4 to D3 (side to side) but nothing else.

Well I keep on driving pull into parking garage, and put it in park. Had to shove it..it had loosened up from earlier..but still pretty hard.

To clarify I did stop and go and highway driving and the car shifts perfectly smooth (like always) from 1-4 gears, no problem. Basically the manual shifting is what was having a problem with the lever.

Tranny has fresh fluid from Lexus about 15K miles ago.

Any thoughts?

Car has been driven in lower temps with no problem. First time this happened.

Appreciate the help.

Last edited by ryanSC300lover; 01-28-09 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-28-09, 10:53 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

damn, i can't think of anything. maybe the trans mount is so busted the whole trans shifted a bit and pinned the shifter.
uhh, check the actual shifter console to make sure there's no random broken piece of car/plastic/gum/etc... that's not in the shifter path.

if you're having trouble going from park into any gear you might have a shift lock/brake safety switch issue.

again, this isnt something i've ever encountered in the LS.
Old 01-28-09, 11:52 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Hmm not sure if the trans mount is busted..as it wouldn't just bust while driving, would it?
I am stuck in the office for another 4 hours..and I hope that it was a fluke and it works out when I go home. I will post by the time I go home.

Basically I eliminated it isn't a tranny problem as all gears shift and everything is fine, it just is a shfiter problem.

I did run over some snow (giving how slammed the car is), but I barely got any speed, and I didn't hit anything hard enough to bust the tranny.

I am so ****, absolutely nothing in the shifter area.

JUST IN CASE ON THE WAY HOME I can't get the car from Park to drive, where is the shift lock stuff? (the manual is in the car, but your info might be more helpful)

Thanks again.
Old 01-28-09, 11:58 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
Hmm not sure if the trans mount is busted..as it wouldn't just bust while driving, would it?
I am stuck in the office for another 4 hours..and I hope that it was a fluke and it works out when I go home. I will post by the time I go home.

Basically I eliminated it isn't a tranny problem as all gears shift and everything is fine, it just is a shfiter problem.

I did run over some snow (giving how slammed the car is), but I barely got any speed, and I didn't hit anything hard enough to bust the tranny.

I am so ****, absolutely nothing in the shifter area.

JUST IN CASE ON THE WAY HOME I can't get the car from Park to drive, where is the shift lock stuff? (the manual is in the car, but your info might be more helpful)

Thanks again.
on the 2nd gen pre MC iirc it is in the under the cover on the left side (closer to the driver), you need a taped screwdriver (or a key if you must) to put into the slot and take the cover off. then press down on the button.

the trans mount is a very gradual thing, but you may develop instant symptoms, although this doesnt really sound like them. it is a cheap and easy fix, i have pictures for a DIY that i havent gotten around to putting up yet
Old 01-28-09, 12:01 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Ok not sure what the cover is, but if I can't find it, will look at owners manual. Just keep your fingers crossed for me.

Thanks!

I mean it was literally jammed in D4 when I exited the highway..it would only move left to D3.

It wouldn't go to neutral or D2 as I was sitting at a light.
However, once I pulled in the garage it went to park/neutral much easier, but definitely needed a bit of force.
Old 01-28-09, 02:29 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

This sounds like an internal tranny solenoid malfunction but I am by no means an expert.

Is this an A341E??
Old 01-28-09, 02:32 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by damon
This sounds like an internal tranny solenoid malfunction but I am by no means an expert.

Is this an A341E??
It is a 1995 LS400.
Does it happen suddenly? No symptoms? Ideas on price to fix?
Old 01-28-09, 02:33 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Also do I need to fix it asap, or can it wait a few days?
Old 01-28-09, 02:35 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Do not presume all is lost until someone competent can read the diagnostic codes from your tranny.

Solenoids need not be purchased via Lexus or Toyota. But once again lets not jump the gun here.
Old 01-28-09, 02:40 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

I will have a good report on how it is in about 1.5 hours. I get out of the office in about 45 min..then if all is well a 20 min drive home.

Just trying to figure out if it is the solenoid, what kind of price/time the car will be down, and how big of a job it is. Like 200$ or 2000$.

Once in drive it went d4 to d3 side to side fine, it was the up and down motion. Like it was frozen in D4.

But once I parked it moved A LOT easier to park (though not easy as it has always been)--I still had to push it.

What intrigues me..I drove the car total about 40 minutes. About 30 minutes, it was fine, I was moving the shifter (because of snow), it just suddenly seized up after some highighway driving.

Unless some big chunks of snow got underneath in the center area---don't know. Just trying to come up with all the scenarios.
Old 01-28-09, 02:46 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

On my list of suspects would be (in no part. order):

Neutral Safety Switch
throttle position sensor
throttle pressure cable
vehicle speed sensor
output speed sensor

good luck!!
Old 01-28-09, 02:46 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
I will have a good report on how it is in about 1.5 hours. I get out of the office in about 45 min..then if all is well a 20 min drive home.

Just trying to figure out if it is the solenoid, what kind of price/time the car will be down, and how big of a job it is. Like 200$ or 2000$.

Once in drive it went d4 to d3 side to side fine, it was the up and down motion. Like it was frozen in D4.

But once I parked it moved A LOT easier to park (though not easy as it has always been)--I still had to push it.

What intrigues me..I drove the car total about 40 minutes. About 30 minutes, it was fine, I was moving the shifter (because of snow), it just suddenly seized up after some highighway driving.

Unless some big chunks of snow got underneath in the center area---don't know. Just trying to come up with all the scenarios.
given that the car shifts fine in auto I doubt it's a solenoid problem
Old 01-28-09, 02:52 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Thanks for the continued help guys, very much appreciated. Damon-I didn't realize that the speed sensors would be related..but will have the mechanic take a look..if things are bad on the way home.

So anybody see negatives of having to force the gear from park to drive (if necessary) on way home?
Old 01-28-09, 03:43 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

it would suck if the shifter just snapped off when u forced it. but lets hope that doesnt happen!
Old 01-28-09, 05:46 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Update

Got in the car in the garage, started it, idled it. Shifted it, and it was pretty hard shifting from Park, but I pushed it a bit and it was ok, got it to drive. Moved it side to side, from D4 to D3, it was very smooth, lot smoother than from Park to Drive.

Drove on the highway (icy/snowy) took the exit. Tried putting it in 2 or L, no go. Tried pushing it a bit, no go at all. Didn't force it.

At couple of stop lights went from Drive to R to P, was pretty hard, but went with a bit of force. I was like, well at least thats going.

Got home. Decided to clean all the gunk out between the wheel/fender. Because car is so low, there is no room, and I could feel in the steering wheel some shake on the way back (normally the car is rock solid and perfect). Spent 30 minutes cleaning (with sticks/brooms) as much snow/salt/sand out. It was like pounds of blocks falling.

Drove it around the block, no more shake in the wheel.

Went back to parking space, tried shifting, now it was super smooth from D to P, and P to D. So I figured I would give it one more go from D3 to 2 and L, to see, it totally slid in like it does on normal shift.

So don't know what was wrong, or if a sensor or something was blocked, but incredible amount of gunk removed from the wheel wells, and now the car is back to perfect again.

Added a pic from this morning to show the room between the wheel and suspension, and you can how there is stuff in the crevices from the night before.

Front
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4203954-post8.html

Rear
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4203963-post9.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Shifter Stuck