LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Instrument Cluster Circuit Board is Bad! $1000 bucks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-12, 06:20 AM
FireEMT978
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by moat
the reason is because I did not want to spend the time to investigate how much BBA REMAN will charge to fix the speedo and tacho stuck at zero problem. This is a problem that only occurs during hot summer months and it's winter at the moment. I am not even sure if BBA REMAN can fix this particular issue. I wanted to take out my cluster only once and have all the problems addressed. I don't want to do this twice.

BTW, I can see someone would charge 80 to 150 dollars for fixing the power board only.

My perception is the speedo stuck at zero problem was hard to pin point and fix, and that mrwhizard finally figured it out, and he had the reputation of fixing this issue over the years.
Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. I was just curious, being that all of those are well known issues with the clusters. And as stated, they had performed an entire check/rebuild/repair/preventive of ALL of the known issues with a lifetime warranty. I just believe that because BBAReman has several different facilities all over the world, in all countries that they can do it that fast and cheap. As opposed to 1 guy that does it on his own for his full time income. Prior to shipping it to them, they also have you fill out a form explaining all possible issues that you believe you may be experiencing so they can be sure they are properly addressed. I am sure yours will be fixed great, and I wasn't knocking the MrWhizard. I was just trying to pass on some savings. More expensive doesn't always equate to better service. I am a sole proprietor, and I have less overhead, so I charge quite a bit less than my competitors. But I always go over and above the BIG guys in service, and quality of work. I strictly work off of referrals as of now.

Last edited by FireEMT978; 02-21-12 at 06:27 AM.
Old 02-22-12, 07:46 PM
fc3s
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fc3s
i think i got sluggish fuel gauge problem (which has been identified that replacing c142 and c147 will fix it) in my 93. Besides that, the temp gauge seems to be sluggish or not working properly. It moves and lit up but i just have the feeling that it isnt really showing the right temp range of the engine.

Any solution that has been suggested to the temp gauge problem that I might have overlooked ?

Thanks
anyone pls?
Old 02-23-12, 05:14 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by fc3s
anyone pls?
I would double check that your temperature sensor is not bad but most likely your cluster needs to be serviced.

Check out Mr. Wizard or another place out of Tampa called DNA Speedometers. Sounds like your cluster in on its last legs.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 02-24-12 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-24-12, 09:18 AM
moat
Driver

Default mrwhizard

I have read of good things about BBA REMAN on ebay here on CL as well. I was reluctant to use them because I thought to myself: why would anyone fix all these issues for only $80? (fix the power boards, 4 dim needles, fuel gauge, speedo and tacho stuck at zero issue.... to fix all these things takes careful work and time .... all for $80?)

I ended up sending my cluster to www.mrwhizard.com who also has a good reputation here on CL. I will be getting my cluster back next week. I hope all goes well.
I got my cluster back a few days ago from mrwhizard. All is good. However, the speedo/tacho stuck at zero are problems that only occur during hot summer months so I will not be able to tell for sure till later this year.

It was no fun removing and reinstalling the cluster.
Old 02-24-12, 11:32 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I got my cluster back a few days ago from mrwhizard. All is good. However, the speedo/tacho stuck at zero are problems that only occur during hot summer months so I will not be able to tell for sure till later this year.

It was no fun removing and reinstalling the cluster.
I also have the sticking on my speedometer. Nothing on the tach but I'm sure it's getting there. $249 is what Mr. Wizard quoted me and $179.00 is what DNA Speedometers quoted me. Turn around time is only 2 days at DNA so I'm probably going to go with them instead of paying $70.00 and waiting nearly 2 weeks.

By the way, what year is your LS?
Old 05-03-12, 08:53 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Hey guys,

I am able to perform a whole variety of repairs on the LS400 clusters and climate control units.

Here is my Lexus Ebay store link with my extremely competitive prices. I try and beat everyone out there

http://tinyurl.com/7822ckj
Old 05-16-12, 07:23 AM
feathersc
Driver School Candidate

Default 1995 LS400 Instrument Cluster Diagram

I have a 1995 LS400 and the background lights and needle lights all went dark. All gauges work you just can't see them. Odometer is also dark. I checked all fuses and they are good.
I need to check if the instrument cluster is getting power but don't know which of the connectors/pins should have power. I would like to test instrument cluster on a desk with a 12VDC power supply and fix it my self. I have found all kinds of references to replacing capacitors on 1994 and below instrument clusters to fix this problem but the 1995 has a single circuit board and everything is different. Any help with power diagrams, pictures, capacitor numbers to replace and connector pinouts would be great.

Charlie
featherscf@gmail.com
Old 05-21-12, 05:53 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

capacitor issues are not going to cause a complete power failure across all aspects of the cluster, as it sounds as if you have - and if you want to replace capacitors, and you are, or have access to, a competent solderer of components on a circuit board, then replace all of the electrolytic capacitors, with one grade higher in both temperature rating and voltage rating - don't worry about non-electrolytics, they tend not to ever fail.

for figuring out which pins are for power, etc. so you can play detective and get to the root of the power loss issue, this very low cost Lexus factory document has all of the answers --> www.ebay.com/itm//160749241053

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 05-21-12 at 06:01 AM.
Old 01-14-14, 05:45 PM
SammyRed
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks Everybody!

After reading most of the posts in this thread I decided to give it a go. Removing the cluster was a bit challenging but do-able with a little patience. Removing the three bad capacitors was more than a little challenging and took a lot more patience. It wasn't easy to get at the solder below the existing caps. Soldering the new caps into place wasn't to bad but I needed a third hand to hold the cap while I did the soldering. The whole project took me three hours and concluded with a crazy happy-dance!

Thanks again peeps,
Sam

PS. It's been three days since the repair and everything is still working awesome... even in the crappy North Dakota cold.

PPS. Just received tube part to fix my electric seat back adjuster - this Saturdays project!
Old 02-20-14, 05:00 AM
thompson43
Driver School Candidate

Default Second bad panel - removal instructions, please

I am having to replace my instrument cluster for the second time and want to remove it myself to send off for repairs. Does anyone have detailed directions just for removing the cluster from the dash? By the way I also filed a complaint with NHTSA because I consider the part chronically defective and a safety matter. If it had failed at night I would have no ability to judge speed, gas, or other conditions.
Old 02-20-14, 06:48 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Call us or send us an email and we can send directions. What year? 93-94 you remove three screws on the black trim piece in front of the cluster, pull it off then the cluster is held in by 4 screws.
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 02-20-14, 05:43 PM
qha_vn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by thompson43
I am having to replace my instrument cluster for the second time and want to remove it myself to send off for repairs. Does anyone have detailed directions just for removing the cluster from the dash? By the way I also filed a complaint with NHTSA because I consider the part chronically defective and a safety matter. If it had failed at night I would have no ability to judge speed, gas, or other conditions.
here we go
Old 11-17-14, 08:19 AM
Scratchy
Rookie

My 2000 LS400 gauge cluster and needles light up for about 1 second on key turn, then they shut off and never come back on. Every gauge keeps working, only the lights are out. I replaced every single EC on the board with new 105°C caps from digikey and the problem is still there. Anybody know where I should look next?

I found 1 guy saying a new power inverter fixed his, but I can't find it on the board. I'm an EE so I'm sort of familiar with this stuff, but this is a complicated board and there's zero documentation...
Old 11-17-14, 08:28 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Common issue.... we repair them every week. We repair all LS400 clusters from 1990-2000.

Call or email us for pricing and repair information.
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 11-17-14, 04:59 PM
Yamae

Received 852 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Scratchy
My 2000 LS400 gauge cluster and needles light up for about 1 second on key turn, then they shut off and never come back on. Every gauge keeps working, only the lights are out. I replaced every single EC on the board with new 105°C caps from digikey and the problem is still there. Anybody know where I should look next?

I found 1 guy saying a new power inverter fixed his, but I can't find it on the board. I'm an EE so I'm sort of familiar with this stuff, but this is a complicated board and there's zero documentation...
Those ECs are not PF(M) or PR(M) of Nichicon but KME or KMA of Nippon Chemicon and these don't fail easily. A real EE could analyze the circuit all by himself well and fix the problem before barking.

Did you to check the current sensing circuit of the inverter for the needle?

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster Circuit Board is Bad! $1000 bucks!!!