LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Electrical Fire!! Yikes...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-08, 11:06 AM
asingh2358
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Fire!! Yikes...

Hey Guys,

I need some insight on this before I put the for sale sign on the car and call it a day. I have a 94 LS400 with 173 on the ODO that has been well cared for.

I was on my typical routine today driving to work. Had my heater on to 73 degrees and cruising along. All of a sudden I smell something burning inside my car. Bear in mind I have my windows up as it's 40 degrees outside. I roll the window down to investigate if it's coming from outside as I have my vent on intake from the outside. I smell nothing. I drive another block and it get's worse. I start to see black smoke coming from my vents and it smell's like plastic/electrical wires burning. I immediately turn off my climate control and start to pull off the road, by the time I pulled off the road I lost my climate control and radio power.

As of the moment, the climate control and radio do not function and have no power.

Here's what I have managed to uncover.

The climate control get's some power as all the buttons light up when the car has it's parking light on. Nothing on the LCD and nothing works (rear defroster/ac/vent). I cheked all fuses and everything is good with the exception of the radio fuse. If I replace it with a new one, it immediately pops.

I pulled out my entire radio (not stock) and thoroughly checked all wiring in the rear of the climate control and radio and everything is ok. Nothing looks burnt or has the slight sign of a electrical short.

Everything else close to the center console works as it should. Traction, Heated Seats, Hazards, Cigarette Lighter. I checked under the hood and everything looks good also.

Now if something caught on fire and burnt out, then I do know that it will have to be replaced. The issue is where the heck was the fire if the smoke came in from my vents.

I can live without a radio, but I would like to get my climate control working as it's winter here in NY and a warm car would be nice.

HELP!!!

BTW - This is my 3rd LS and nothing like this has ever happened...
Old 12-30-08, 11:22 AM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh god, this sounds bad.. for the past few days my LS when i have my heater on smells like.. 'burning' once i start moving after coming to a complete stop.. it's not overheating or anything.. your problem now makes me wonder if i should prepare for some sort of an electrical fire..
sorry i'm not of any help